Bulldogs

Kickoff In:

Accor Stadium

Saturday
Afternoon
17:00

Warriors

Team Lists

Can Webster just bite the bullet already and chuck Taine in at 14 over Lussick. He offer's far more utility value and is the x-factor we need off the bench. Guys like Jazz and/or Walks could do just as good of a job as Lussick at hooker if Egan goes down throughout the match.

Reckon Tuapiki could do good at DH if called to do so. He’s got speed to burn 🔥 with quick PTB..

View attachment 8152

“Jack I’m flying Jack!”
I should have added that my comment was based on playing them all for multiple weeks. The NRL is such a tough comp and I don't see how blooding a whole bunch of young lads all at once is going to benefit them and the squad as a whole - filter them through slowly like Webby is doing does seem to work the best in most cases. But none of us know anything that's going on behind the scenes, that's what the coaching staff is for. They aren't stupid, I'm sure all these discussions are happening as well.

I should have added that my comment was based on playing them all for multiple weeks. The NRL is such a tough comp and I don't see how blooding a whole bunch of young lads all at once is going to benefit them and the squad as a whole - filter them through slowly like Webby is doing does seem to work the best in most cases. But none of us know anything that's going on behind the scenes, that's what the coaching staff is for. They aren't stupid, I'm sure all these discussions are happening as well.

Too much talk not enough action. Who have we blooded since the Dophins win?… Tuapiki and Laban have not been seen since…

TBH there several players ready to take a bench spot from Tohu, but we are lacking a lock, maybe Webby sent Ale back to Cup for a few weeks to play 13 until he’s ready to cover minutes for Walker as none of other forwards really cover 13 and Tohu’s the only one locking, that’s my latest theory lol

I am still gutted Taine hasn’t seen any game time since attending the birth of his baby, there are backs who are tired or not up to it in their respective positions….

Can Webster just bite the bullet already and chuck Taine in at 14 over Lussick. He offer's far more utility value and is the x-factor we need off the bench. Guys like Jazz and/or Walks could do just as good of a job as Lussick at hooker if Egan goes down throughout the match.
Is anyone else concerned about Taine taking hit-up after hit-up in the middle? I know Wegan is a relatively small body but I'm not sure I see the same durability in Taine to perform there?

Lussick on the bench means he is part of the rotation plan at hooker.

Tuaupiki would be used by Webby solely as an injury replacement for one/maybe 2 positions (who would he take off to bring him off the bench)? That would just mean that Taine doesn't get any game time for weeks. I'd rather that Taine gets the game time and confidence in reserve grade to come in to the starting 13 ready to roll when needed.

This. We all love to see young fullas get a go. Its fresh, its exciting and it fulfills our thirst for that. Sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't.
Our thirst for talent & excitement for young ones often translates to injury for underdeveloped players in the nrl, sometimes it pays off for a while.
Just look at TMM & his head injury, Walsh & many more...over before they get far or a long journey back with a more mature body, more nous etc. How many actually make it?
A good development process means not chucking them in the deep end too soon. Its a balancing act with no guarantees, especially for the young guy who han't experienced the beast of nrl senior grade.
If anyone is up to it or has the research skills it would be interesting to get a statistical picture of nrl player longevity and seruous injury instances in a successful longterm player. I doubt there's a single one that hasn't had multiple injuries.
We just watch the show from our comfie couch...

I would love for Webby to listen to all the Tohu haters and just play all the young lads that everyone wants to play and see how well we go. I promise you it won't end well.
IMG_9387.jpeg

I would love for Webby to listen to all the Tohu haters and just play all the young lads that everyone wants to play and see how well we go. I promise you it won't end well.

I think the point on this is not about wholesale changes. It's about Webby finding better ways to plug gaps with youth when needed.

Moving Walker to 12 for his first ever game in the back row instead of just starting Laban is where Webby falls down.

If Laban goes out and has a mare, no one is going to say "well why would Webby put him in when we could move Walker".

The other one was the bench v Dragons. How on earth you can come up with a decision not to pick Zyon Maiu’u on the bench for that game is still so puzzling - can't say he wasn't ready because he debuted the week after...

These are the tricks that have been missing

I am not Lussicks number one fan but I see value in him as a hooker. I don't rate Jazz as a hooker and see his value only as a runner of the ball and tackler of the opposition.

Dylan at hooker would work better I agree but in my opinion is a waste. He's best at lock. I also think Dylan's left to right pass is weak (based entirely off one pass I watched that went to ground vs Cowboys. But it still resulted in a try but also not a great pass).

So for serviceable dummy half ball once Egan is gassed or injured, I value Lussick as backup until Roache and his gun service is back.

I think Taine at 1 or 6 would be my plan with CHT at 14. But that ain't happening. There's my two cents ta.

I would love Taine at 14 but he shouldn't be anywhere near Hooker cover unless absolutely necessary.

I think you can only pick Taine at 14 with a plan of bringing him on at 6 and moving CHT to 9.

CHT has been killing it at 6 so can understand reluctance.

But I don't see any value in picking Taine at 14 to be hooker cover - total waste

I think we’ve gotta go with experience this week- this is semi final type shit- massive game- we need all that big match experience and we’re coming off a win too.
Got the bye next week so that would be the time to make any changes.
A couple of guys could be playing for their careers this weekend.

I think we’ve gotta go with experience this week- this is semi final type shit- massive game- we need all that big match experience and we’re coming off a win too.
Got the bye next week so that would be the time to make any changes.
A couple of guys could be playing for their careers this weekend.

I do get a sense finals are gone if we lose this game.

We'd need to win 6 out of 7 and even that might not be enough.

Only 4 teams have scored less points than the Dogs this season. But, their defence has been well documented.

I think it's 14 - 12 one way or the other

Squeaky bum time.

I do get a sense finals are gone if we lose this game.

We'd need to win 6 out of 7 and even that might not be enough.

Only 4 teams have scored less points than the Dogs this season. But, their defence has been well documented.

I think it's 14 - 12 one way or the other

Squeaky bum time.

24:16 for me lol, I reckon we bust through the front door early thanks to Webby finding Ciraldo’s playbook in his drawer

Fonzie does an incredible job explaining why Webby has persisted with Tohu/SJ this season even when they've been a bit beat up, in the latest TWL podcast. Even if you're not a podcast listener I'd 100% recommend having a listen.

Short version is, we don't make the top 4 last year without Tohu/SJ (and AFB) playing the way they did. We won't make a deep run this year without them either, so he's been persisting in the hope we can get it right. TMM/Walker are good but not near the level of Tohu/SJ last year, and never will be. Unfortunately it didn't workout as he would have hoped and we're likely in a worse spot for it.

The way Fonzie explains it is so much better though.

Back