Pick Your Team Cowboys v Warriors - Round 14, 2024 PICK YOUR TEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you only have to look at the start of last season, the Knights semi final, the Souths game this year as to how TMM and SJ in the halves could and should work. I find it strange the criticism of TMM at 6 yet supporting LM who was doing less there.

Whether its TMM or CHT at 6 partnering SJ (who is by far and away our best 7 and will be straight back in when fit) we are stronger than if LM is at 6 IMO - who also has a lot of development needed if he wants to be a 7. The direction on the field and variation has improved dramatically over the last 2 games and that will be on SJ and Egan to sort when they are back in the team because regardless of if TMM wasn't putting his hand up or not at 6, it was SJ leading and directing and robotically finishing our sets of 6 with the same play over and over.

Also, playing TMM as a bench 9 utility is a bit of a head scratcher. I can kind of understand the thinking behind it but I feel we have much better options than that. AW has shown he likes to play next man up and I cant see him changing TMM to a utility role off the bench.

Personally, I would go with TMM/SJ at 6/7 (with CHT on the bench as utility cover) but a CHT/SJ combo is good too. If its the later then TMM should play 7 in cup with Roache on the bench in first grade. SJ will be injured again and for me TMM is the first choice back up for that 7 spot. It strengthens the cup side and provides them direction, gives TMM reps at 7, provides better utility cover on our first grade bench.

I think AW will go with TMM/SJ
From how Egan plays the game I wouldn't want Tmm getting his head in those areas too often.
He's nice and protected and starting to grow into his role atm.

Somebody put SJ at 6 lol, an interesting idea, TMM to steer the team and SJ to do the long kicking and comes in to overcall TMM if he sees opportunities, it just depends on chemistry, and how the coach organizes the players dynamics

Wouldn't be sad to see CHT/SJ either TBH, SJ's calf needs rest every month anyway TMM can come in

Last edited:
Also, playing TMM as a bench 9 utility is a bit of a head scratcher. I can kind of understand the thinking behind it but I feel we have much better options than that.
Name a bench hooker better than TMM who is available to play?

CHT, Roache, Lussick, Jazz. Probably in that order. TMM would be 5th or 6th option at bench hooker and even then I'd go with someone else
CHT is actually a 6 unlike TMM so can’t play bench hooker. Roache is injured. Lussick is useless and Jazz at hooker is a joooke.

Have to question your analytical ability. TMM spent half the season playing hooker instead of playing hooker instead of playing 6.

If you want a competitive team assuming SJ is fit, TMM plays bench hooker or Cup 🤷.

CHT is actually a 6 unlike TMM so can’t play bench hooker. Roache is injured. Lussick is useless and Jazz at hooker is a joooke.

Have to question your analytical ability. TMM spent half the season playing hooker instead of playing hooker instead of playing 6.

If you want a competitive team assuming SJ is fit, TMM plays bench hooker or Cup 🤷.
Cup it is then. TMM has played 6 or 7 in NSW Cup for the first part of the season and 6 or 7 in first grade since. I don't agree with yours and others opinion that he isn't a 6. The work he did at 6 this season was at worst on par with what was being put up with LM there (who was playing in a team that wasn't busted like it has been). Putting him at bench hooker when he hasn't played that role ever, as far as I'm aware, isn't the answer IMO. Jazz at hooker is a joke but that is how far below the idea of TMM at bench hooker is. Cool if you don't agree with that, but I am 100% certain we don't see that eventuate and for good reason.

Last edited:

Didn't CHT star as a bench hooker in his one outing there for Samoa in the WC?

My memory might not be on point there, but I had the impression his last game before the break from league was for Sa at hooker and it was the best game he possibly has ever played?

He has the defence and passing to play bench hooker, but like you and others I would like to see CHT retain his halves skills for several reasons. People mention having a left footed kicker. They talk about his defence, decent distribution.

The reason I think we cannot afford to ignore CHTs potential in the halves is that SJ is seriously on the decline and on the way out of Rugby league, every round SJs end draws nearer, the Warriors have to start trialing people in that slot for the future.

Last edited:
By the time this team is named, Sifakula will have had a second game for NSW Cup.

Given that he has been sitting on the sideline with the team on gamedays, was right in the mix before injury, and looks like a specimen right now, you'd have to think he is well and truly in Webby's thoughts. After all Webster has shown he is pretty loyal to those who were in FG before injury.

Might be a smoky for a 20m stint, especially if they are looking to rest Barnett.

If you want a competitive team assuming SJ is fit, TMM plays bench hooker or Cup
CHT takes that spot. CHT can play most backline positions, And probably 13. TMM halves or FB. You also need to be quite a hearty defender to play hooker. TMM would be fucked after 10 mins playing in the middle.
TMM to start with SJ , CHT to the bench is what benefits this team the most.

True.Hes been going great @ 7 but for some reason was a flop @ 6.

For me, we've seen enough of him now to know that TMM can be a success at half - prior to these two weeks he's shown glimpses but he hasn't stepped up to lead the team to two unlikely victories against top 4 teams.

The problem now is how do we manage both TMM and SJ in the halves, so that SJ is still the dominant play maker but gives TMM a bit more responsibility.
Webby now needs to spend the next few weeks figuring out how give both halves a decent opportunity. I still think TMM isn't fantastic at the long range kicks so maybe he's used a bit more close to the line in attack.

Either way TMM has proved he has the goods in the halves, it's how Webby can get them firing. We looked out best last year when we had lots of bodies in motion, that's what I'd be looking at - give TMM those options to hit the lead runner and out the back.

Top 17 going forward

1 CNK
2 DWZ
3 RTS
4 Pompey
5 M Montoya
6 CHT
7 SJ
8 A F Blake
9 W Egan
10 M Barnett
11 J Ford
12 Niukore
13 Ale

14 TMM
15 Walker
16 Bunty
17 Laban
No Jazz, the ultimate bench player? Barney to be rested after SoO depending on time playing?

1.CNK
2.DWZ
3.Berry
4.Pompey
5.Montoya
6.TMM
7.SJ
8.AFB
9.Egan
10.Tohu
11.Ford
12.Barnett