Pick Your Team Cowboys v Warriors - Round 14, 2024 PICK YOUR TEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reserve the right to change this next week. Also going on RTS being out till round 17 according to nrl.com. This is the team I think webby will go for, not necessarily the one I want:
1. Taine
2. DWZ
3. CNK
4. Pompey
5. Montoya
6. TMM
7. SJ
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Barney
11. Capewell
12. Ford
13. Tohu
14. Bunty
15. Jazz
16. Marata
17. CHT

Looking at who’s shone over the last 2 weeks that aren’t first choice:

TMM - lock-in at 6 with more ball sent his way.
Walker - thrived with more minutes. Needs the 13 for the good of the team
Ale - also thrived and stepped up. Needs to play with more minutes
CHT - experienced, reliable, versatile, kicking, vision. Needs the 14 with Walker starting
Pompey - needs to be one of the centres. Either Berry waits for an opportunity or RTS plays elsewhere.

Last edited:
We have really good depth at the moment and everyone is playing well, so form will not be the reason for change. Rather what selections are needed to increase performance.

For me first and foremost is organisation and direction at DH. Egan is vital. Lussick and Roache have done a great job but Egan has that extra.

We are building a group of players who can play middle and 2nd Row as necessary. Ford, Laban, Niukore, Ale, Harris. Well covered there.

Does SJ add to the Halves, I say yes but with a more even decision making role with TMM. A short time ago that it would have been nuts to think the team could thrive without him. The team has grown a collective responsibility to think for themselves, TMM particularly, SJ has to adapt to that.

Centres, all have played to potential. Pompey important as a back up, or main kicker. I think just be happy about who can go there. Same as Wing and FB

CNK back to 1.

Berry will probably be back at centre though I'm not a massive fan. Goes okay in defence but also often allows offloads +/- straight up missed tackles and puts his winger under pressure. Offers very little in attack. Personally I would persist with MGT but don't expect that to happen.

Can't find any room for Capewell sadly. Experienced player but fairly invisible out there. Watching Broncos games I think they were happy to offload him as they had Brendan Piakura coming through.

Tohu is an interesting one. On the face of things we should be better with his inclusion, ball playing ability...but he's so slow and the lack of energy is very noticeable on attack and D. He'll play but he should really be splitting his minutes 50/50 with Walker.

SJ comes in at 7, TMM to 6 but with a licence to play both sides and play what he sees - rather than ball going to SJ 100% of the time on the last.

Not sure where CHT fits in. Potentially at 9, rotating with Egan.
Corey Parker said yesterday twice during the Broncos Titans call on Fox -Capewell was moved on to accomodate Piakura.

TMM has absolutely shone (effort, creativity, responsibility) these past two weeks, hopefully putting to be the nay sayers that think LM is way better. And that chase on Tabio was epic, didn't know he had that kind of speed, even with a lost cause. Definitely deserves another chance and I believe AW will make that happen, given his post match comments for the second game in a row.
huh? LM is a much better 6. CHT is a better 6. TMM is good 7, but he'll make a better hooker than Freddy Lussick...

Will be interesting to see if all the cows players back up after origin 1, as they are all significant parts of there respective teams.

Coincidence when we start Afoa we play our peak footy?
The weird thing is while we've won 3 out of 4 with him starting this year we've been behind when he's been subbed off in 3 of those 4 too. The team have a negative points differential when he's on the field but he's a bit of a lucky charm

TMM has absolutely shone (effort, creativity, responsibility) these past two weeks, hopefully putting to be the nay sayers that think LM is way better. And that chase on Tabio was epic, didn't know he had that kind of speed, even with a lost cause. Definitely deserves another chance and I believe AW will make that happen, given his post match comments for the second game in a row.
Yes I have been his biggest critic at 6.
He was just hanging out the back of the ruck with nil involvement.
At 7 he has to be more involved in taking the first pass.
He has been great for us and I applaud him for his improvement.
6 is not his position.

Hard to pick the best combos with all the injury disruptions. So far this year there's been 4 different starting fullbacks, 4 different halves pairings, 3 different centre pairings. That's just the backs alone. I think if the forwards go good and give us go forward and field position, Webby could throw in anyone in the backs to take advantage.

This team list will be crazy. I have a feeling Webby will bring back all the starters. Results wise though these boys won 2 games against tough opponents, when the OG's were on a losing streak against mostly weaker opposition.

Think 6/7 will have to be TMM/SJ, hopefully TMM can take a stronger hand in the red zone. SJ can dominate strategic kicking. If TMM takes on a lot more at the try line it will open up a lot more space for SJ when he gets the ball.

Egan 9, CHT 14. Think Walker ends up back on the bench but would rather he stays at 13 and Tohu moves to prop with Bunty making way. Otherwise that's Walker/CHT on the bench with 2 forwards. Ale and Jazz likely, which is a small bench.

I think you only have to look at the start of last season, the Knights semi final, the Souths game this year as to how TMM and SJ in the halves could and should work. I find it strange the criticism of TMM at 6 yet supporting LM who was doing less there.

Whether its TMM or CHT at 6 partnering SJ (who is by far and away our best 7 and will be straight back in when fit) we are stronger than if LM is at 6 IMO - who also has a lot of development needed if he wants to be a 7. The direction on the field and variation has improved dramatically over the last 2 games and that will be on SJ and Egan to sort when they are back in the team because regardless of if TMM wasn't putting his hand up or not at 6, it was SJ leading and directing and robotically finishing our sets of 6 with the same play over and over.

Also, playing TMM as a bench 9 utility is a bit of a head scratcher. I can kind of understand the thinking behind it but I feel we have much better options than that. AW has shown he likes to play next man up and I cant see him changing TMM to a utility role off the bench.

Personally, I would go with TMM/SJ at 6/7 (with CHT on the bench as utility cover) but a CHT/SJ combo is good too. If its the later then TMM should play 7 in cup with Roache on the bench in first grade. SJ will be injured again and for me TMM is the first choice back up for that 7 spot. It strengthens the cup side and provides them direction, gives TMM reps at 7, provides better utility cover on our first grade bench.

I think AW will go with TMM/SJ

CNK - Fresh
DWZ
Berry
Pompey
Montoya
TMM
SJ - Fresh
AFB - Fresh
Egan - Fresh
Barnett
Ford
Capewell - Fresh
Tohu - Fresh

Walker
Niukore
Ale/Jazz
CHT/Bunty/Laban
Agree that this will be the likely team if the missing players are all fit - Capewell and Harris will remain in their positions. I think Jazz will be the bench option Webby will select along with Walker and Nuikore with the only uncertainty being whether he goes with a utility in CHT or an additional middle/edge.

I'm really looking forward to Tohu returning - imo he looked pretty good in the starting rounds, but as Dyl Walker was injured in the 2nd game it means that Tohu had to play more minutes and became less effective, and by the time Walker came back on Rd 8 we were in a pretty big rutt.

Having Tohu there is great as when he's going well he's such an assert, but it then mean we can bring Walker on to up the tempo, which is something I think we've really been lacking.

Both Jazz and Ale have looked great off the bench, imagine those 2 and Walker coming on after 25-30 minutes and causing havoc.... Can't wait!

Both Jazz and Ale have looked great off the bench, imagine those 2 and Walker coming on after 25-30 minutes and causing havoc.... Can't wait!
Ale had his best game IMO and hasn't Jazz been great the last two games? Do you use Tohu at 13 for the first 20 and then switch him to prop for 20 minutes - I don t think he is more than a 40 minute player unless really required to do so. Walker has shown at 13 everything that has been lacking for the previous month - need 60+ minutes from him in that position IMO

CNK back to 1.

Berry will probably be back at centre though I'm not a massive fan. He goes okay in defence but also often allows offloads +/- straight-up missed tackles and puts his winger under pressure. Offers very little in attack. I would persist with MGT but don't expect that to happen.

I can't find any room for Capewell sadly. Experienced player but fairly invisible out there. Watching Broncos games I think they were happy to offload him as they had Brendan Piakura coming through

Tohu is an interesting one. On the face of things we should be better with his inclusion, ball playing ability...but he's so slow and the lack of energy is very noticeable on attack and D. He'll play but he should really be splitting his minutes 50/50 with Walker.

SJ comes in at 7, TMM to 6 but with a licence to play both sides and play what he sees - rather than ball going to SJ 100% of the time on the last.

Not sure where CHT fits in. Potentially at 9, rotating with Egan.
yes IMHO the hooker role is the tough one we have great backs cover now ... but who can be cover for Egan as he is prone to getting smashed..and might well not last the season ..I'm thinking CHT but at the same time I would love to see RTS speed at hooker...maybe NSW cup? See how he goes he has stated he's happy to play anywhere... but is his hands good enough? prob not but ....he is a talent

RTS is a player you want on the field / Lussick is not so much his poor D lead to a try yesterday .... RTS/CHT bench cover role with limited minutes...but then CHT has a great kicking game that adds another dimension... prob gets it IMHO just

My first team which will change in a weeks time.

1 C N Klokstad
2 D W Zelezniak
3 R Berry
4 A Pompey
5 M Montoya
6 T M Martin
7 S Johnson
8 A F Blake
9 W Egan
10 M Barnett
11 J Ford
12 K Capewell
13 T Harris

14 C H Tavita
15 M Niukore
16 J Tavaga
17 D Walker
This is what it'll be, except we may not have Barnett because of Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back