• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Post Match Warriors v Eels - [Round 22, 2024]

Warriors vs Eels

Warriors

20 - 30

MATCH COMPLETE

Go Media Stadium

02 Aug 2024

Eels

Match Stats

Warriors Eels
4 Tries 5
2 / 5 Conversions 5 / 5
0/0 Field Goals 0/0
0/0 2P Field Goals 0/0
4 Try Assists 4
Warriors Eels
51% Possession 49%
6 / 37 Set Completion 7 / 32
60 Time in Opposition Half 40
1514 Metres Gained 1324
1 Dropouts 0
6 Dummy Half Runs 5
22 / 525 Kicks/Kick Metres 20 / 679
0 40/20 0
0 20/40 0
9 Offloads 9
0 1 on 1 Steals 0
4 Line Breaks 6
4 Line Break Assists 4
13 Support Play 12
Warriors Eels
6 / 37 Set Completion 7 / 32
3 Penalties (Conceded) 8
5 Set Restarts 2
10 Errors 8

Player Stats

# Warriors T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
1 C. Nicoll-Klokstad 1 4 0 1 7 0 0 0 0 33 1 0 0m 278m 0 0
2 D. Watene-Zelezniak 1 4 0 1 4 1 3 1 0 22 0 0 0m 172m 1 0
3 A. Leiataua 0 0 0 0 2 1 14 1 0 17 0 0 0m 99m 1 0
4 M. Graham-Taufa 0 0 0 0 7 0 9 1 0 16 1 0 0m 138m 3 0
5 R. Tuivasa-Sheck 1 4 0 1 4 0 12 0 0 21 0 0 0m 132m 1 0
6 C. Harris-Tavita 0 2 1 0 2 1 15 2 0 25 0 7 236m 34m 1 1
7 S. Johnson 0 2 3 0 0 0 14 4 0 53 0 15 289m 7m 0 0
8 A. Fonua-Blake 0 0 0 0 3 0 23 2 0 14 0 0 0m 103m 0 1
14 F. Lussick 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 0 0 4 2 0 0m 29m 0 0
10 M. Barnett 0 0 0 0 3 3 35 4 0 20 0 0 0m 151m 0 0
11 M. Niukore 1 4 0 1 3 0 30 2 0 14 0 0 0m 109m 1 0
12 K. Capewell 0 0 0 0 1 1 31 2 0 9 0 0 0m 25m 1 0
13 D. Walker 0 0 0 0 0 0 18 1 0 1 0 0 0m 0m 0 0
9 W. Egan 0 0 0 0 0 1 36 3 0 5 2 0 0m 29m 0 0
15 T. Ale 0 0 0 0 1 0 20 0 0 11 0 0 0m 77m 1 0
16 J. Tevaga 0 0 0 0 0 1 24 0 0 14 0 0 0m 108m 0 1
17 L. Halasima 0 0 0 0 0 0 15 0 0 3 0 0 0m 23m 0 0
18 D. Sifakula 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0
# Eels T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
1 C. Gutherson 1 14 1 1 2 0 5 1 0 36 0 3 38m 175m 1 0
2 J. Tago 1 4 0 1 2 0 6 2 0 12 0 0 0m 57m 1 2
3 W. Penisini 0 0 0 0 2 2 10 1 0 20 0 0 0m 119m 0 1
4 B. Talagi 1 4 1 1 2 0 13 2 0 17 0 0 0m 98m 1 0
5 S. Russell 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 2 0 16 0 0 0m 79m 0 0
6 D. Brown 0 0 2 1 3 1 19 3 0 32 0 2 52m 112m 2 1
7 D. Asi 1 4 0 1 2 0 23 4 0 32 0 15 589m 32m 0 1
8 R. Campbell-Gillard 0 0 0 0 1 1 27 4 0 14 0 0 0m 103m 1 1
9 B. Hands 0 0 0 0 1 0 40 3 0 4 2 0 0m 22m 1 0
10 W. Greig 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 2 0 3 0 0 0m 22m 0 0
11 S. Lane 0 0 0 0 1 2 29 1 0 10 0 0 0m 84m 0 0
12 B. Cartwright 0 0 0 0 0 1 32 4 0 9 0 0 0m 41m 0 0
13 R. Matterson 0 0 0 0 2 0 41 1 0 18 1 0 0m 123m 1 1
14 J. Lussick 1 4 0 1 3 0 13 1 0 2 2 0 0m 15m 0 0
15 J. Ofahengaue 0 0 0 0 0 2 23 3 0 18 0 0 0m 152m 0 0
16 L. Moretti 0 0 0 0 0 0 25 3 0 8 0 0 0m 64m 0 0
17 D. Keir 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 1 0 5 0 0 0m 26m 0 0
22 M. Makatoa 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

Rate the game?

• A+

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • A

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • B

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • C

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • F%#@&?>}!!!

Votes: 90 80.4%

• Total voters
Good questions.

Personally I think the players should be being asked these. As I mentioned previously, the potential is there, the execution isn't.

Is that a coaching issue? Is that a player mentality issue?
For sure. But what do you call mentally tough? And which players have it and which don't? Seemed mentally tough to win games severely under strength. I felt the bulldogs game with massive adversity we were mentally strong without getting the result. Apparently the coach built a resilient culture last season but not this season?

In answer to your last question it's obviously both. Players have to take accountability as well. But the coach has a big influence on this as well. And to be clear I'm not suggesting replacing AW

NZWarriors.com
There must be something rotten at the core of the Warriors. I have been supporting this club since 1995 so I'm not surprised at this season. It really is just rinse and repeat.
I have given up getting over excited.
Nearly time for another end of season review and a preseason from hell. Again.

Webster is probably the best coaching option available. We have seen over the years that revolving coaches doesn't work so we need to stick with him for a bit. He is on a steep learning curve so hopefully he's learning. I think calls to dump him are premature.

I thought our halves and our defence were the biggest issues last night. You can teach those skills to people but if you don't have players that can put the learning into practice you're stuffed.
The leaky defence wasn't just the new guys. Some of our senior players just can't get technique or being in the right place to do their job either.
As for halves that's an issue that has plagued us for 30 years so nothing new. I know. "SJ 2023 Dally M blah blah " but SJ 2023 was an anomaly and he wasn't there last night. CHT worked hard and SJ tried but when we were on top in the first 20 minutes it was their turn to shine they had nothing to get us over the line. And then Parra scored and it was too late.

Another wasted game. We should have been better but that has been the story forever

For sure. But what do you call mentally tough? And which players have it and which don't?

Come hither and regard my tale of last night.

When Gutho was lining up that side line conversion, he was about 5 metres infront of me. Let me tell you, the abuse that was coming from bay 28 was monstrous. Death threats, your mum jokes, all the works.

As he's lining up his kick, he turns and grins at a guy who 'baas' like a sheep.

Cooly, he slots the conversion, turns around and gives our lot a thumbs up.

THAT is mental toughness, my friend.

THAT is what we want in our team. Players that thrive under pressure.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
It was so frustrating tonight and also last week (and a lot of the season) to see our middles get through the defensive line but for there to be no support at all. Not once.

Remember the days of Wade Mckinnon screaming past the tackler every hitup he could - just waiting for someone to poke their nose through and offload the ball.

I counted at least 4 solid tackle breaks, full on through the tackle, no support - just no body. None of those attempts required anything than a standard offload or even pass if there was a body there.

Where the fuck is the support? Are we being coached not to support? It's just so weak. We are literally breaking down the defensive line.....and then taking the tackle.
Seemingly (and just a read on my part) it looks like we're spending most our set setting up for the "trigger" play, during the initial hit ups players are organising and getting moved into place for when they want to hit the go button on it, but it does seem to remove that element of threats around the ball off every single play.......its a balance thing i guess between structure and playing whats in front of you......we havent been able to find that balance all season.

Last edited:

When Gutho was lining up that side line conversion, he was about 5 metres infront of me. Let me tell you, the abuse that was coming from bay 28 was monstrous. Death threats, your mum jokes, all the works.

As he's lining up his kick, he turns and grins at a guy who 'baas' like a sheep.

Yes, and our senior half who has been bought back twice this season couldn't kick anything. Did he select himself? Quite possibly.

Gutho also had nothing to lose. Their season is over. Last week posters were rubbishing a team that needed to win and did so relatively comfortably in the end, against a tigers side that showed this week they aren't exactly push overs despite their results. We found a way. And just like a few other times this season the coach changed the dynamics.

Anyway, I was responding to what questions I think AW needs to answer. I'm not suggesting the players don't have questions to answer too

Call it a month ago. Giving Ali, MGT, Ale, Halasima 10 mins of game time all this year, and then desperately resting the teams season on their shoulders, is a sick fucking joke.

1. The season results don’t back Webbys decision making process. Losing is losing.

2. Webby is constantly making statements about not seeing things coming.

3. I disagree debuting the kids, letting them ride the bench for 7 weeks while we lose, then smash them for the final 7, while putting our finals hopes in their shoulders, is “the best approach for the development of those kids

In fact that sounds like the stupid shit we do most years.

Yes, and our senior half who has been bought back twice this season couldn't kick anything. Did he select himself? Quite possibly.

Gutho also had nothing to lose. Their season is over. Last week posters were rubbishing a team that needed to win and did so relatively comfortably in the end, against a tigers side that showed this week they aren't exactly push overs despite their results. We found a way. And just like a few other times this season the coach changed the dynamics.

Anyway, I was responding to what questions I think AW needs to answer. I'm not suggesting the players don't have questions to answer too

Yeah, I had a bit of a laugh when SJ missed the same shots that CHT had, a couple of weeks back.

Agreed on the points on your middle section there.

Now, the picking the side point is obviously a good one, in that that lies solely on the coach. However, I would pose this to you.

You're team has been lacking in the attack department for a few weeks now. Kicking issues, last play issues, the works. They've okay, but not great.

Your star halfback, after a long stint on the sidelines, puts his hand up and says 'put me in coach, I'm good to go, fully healed and all that'. He's full of confidence, chomping at the bit.

What do you do? Season on the line, you need that spark. Do YOU play it conservatively?

My view on coaching is, it's up to Webby to set them up for success, we saw 'the plan' in the last 7 minutes of last night, those tries were silky and practiced.

He's lead those horses to water, he can't make them drink...

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Yeah, I had a bit of a laugh when SJ missed the same shots that CHT had, a couple of weeks back.

Agreed on the points on your middle section there.

Now, the picking the side point is obviously a good one, in that that lies solely on the coach. However, I would pose this to you.

You're team has been lacking in the attack department for a few weeks now. Kicking issues, last play issues, the works. They've okay, but not great.

Your star halfback, after a long stint on the sidelines, puts his hand up and says 'put me in coach, I'm good to go, fully healed and all that'. He's full of confidence, chomping at the bit.

What do you do? Season on the line, you need that spark. Do YOU play it conservatively?

My view on coaching is, it's up to Webby to set them up for success, we saw 'the plan' in the last 7 minutes of last night, those tries were silky and practiced.

He's lead those horses to water, he can't make them drink...
Honestly, I pick the same halves as the tigers game. That's not conservative. The results have been there with them better than any other combination this season. And I'd argue our attack isn't the issue, it's our defence. Huge risk throwing sj in there for a must win game considering what he has shown this season. While TMM has obvious flaws in his game, AW just changed the dominant playmaker in our team. And on top of bringing back CNK and changing Lussick/Egan. He effectively changed 3/4 of the spine for a must win and winnable game.

As for the last 7 minutes of the game, you can disregard them. They meant nothing and aren't an indication of anything. They were scored against a side down to 12 with the result already done.

He has lead THESE horses to water and that's on him. Other horses he picked were able to drink the water even though they splashed a lot of it everywhere when they did.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I enjoy your posts, mate.

Regardless of who's to blame for this season, I like having these back and forths.
Yeah, it's good to debate, particularly with someone who is willing to discuss and contribute intelligently (as much as a Qld fan can be) to the topic at hand. And I'm not trying to find blame or lynch the coach or players. Just trying to understand or identify where we went wrong. There needs to be some accountability across the whole organisation. It's clear we got things wrong in a number of areas this season. It's frustrating as a fan, particularly when you can see the result like last night was horribly predictable. Oh well, let's enjoy an attacking, skillful NSW cup side in the finals with hopefully a good chance at lifting a trophy.

Yeah, it's good to debate, particularly with someone who is willing to discuss and contribute intelligently (as much as a Qld fan can be) to the topic at hand. And I'm not trying to find blame or lynch the coach or players. Just trying to understand or identify where we went wrong. There needs to be some accountability across the whole organisation. It's clear we got things wrong in a number of areas this season. It's frustrating as a fan, particularly when you can see the result like last night was horribly predictable. Oh well, let's enjoy an attacking, skillful NSW cup side in the finals with hopefully a good chance at lifting a trophy.

I have my pitchfork and torch out, but I've said my piece and that's all we can do, ultimately, as fans.

I'll definitely be watching the NSW cup a bit closer.

My point is that we had to rely on players that weren't given trust earlier on. Even the commentators mentioned it was strange Ale wasn't seen since round 16... MGT had an excellent debut, not seen again.
They have all been given trust when needed. I would say Ale should have been picked in a bench role but otherwise our pack has been pretty sound.
MGT was poor on defence against Farnworth in his Warriors debut, it was overlooked as we won, that once again was shown last night. I think he's worth persisting with though.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

You're in the same bay as me. I noticed the same - we don't have anyone with that mixture of toughness and confidence.

You're in the same bay as me. I noticed the same - we don't have anyone with that mixture of toughness and confidence.

I apologise for the front of the bay.

That being said, I sat in the west stands for the broncos game. What a snorefest.

100% wouldn't want to be seated anywhere else.

They have all been given trust when needed. I would say Ale should have been picked in a bench role but otherwise our pack has been pretty sound.
MGT was poor on defence against Farnworth in his Warriors debut, it was overlooked as we won, that once again was shown last night. I think he's worth pursuing with though.
of course MGTs got suspect defence, hes a rookie debuting in the NRL.

And I completely disagree about the young guys being trusted this season.

of course MGTs got suspect defence, hes a rookie debuting in the NRL.

And I completely disagree about the young guys being trusted this season.
IMO the young guys these days have much more confidence swagger & physicality about them than in days past.
They mature earlier (in most cases) & are far better equipped to handle FG

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back