• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 13/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Sifakula (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Randoms posting on Facebook that Montoya's wife is pregnant with twins. Probably ends up being a mutual agreement to leave early.

Edit: checked her Instagram. Was announced a month ago that they are expecting twin girls. Already have a boy.

Double Edit: She's one of those annoying people that labels their dog as a "big brother" 🙄🙄🙄
Yeah she was a producer on the Hits and has finished working there so assume part of it could be wanting to be closer to family with twins about to pop.

I wonder when Montoya was told. His performance in the last game was like someone with a bit of extra motivation.

Kind of like the efforts he had when he first arrived.
Yep, been saying it since he extended his contract here his effort wasn’t the same

Reactions: CWC
There was an article last month on how well they had settled here. If she is pregnant moving back to Australia with a more family around probably suits them.

When he signed here it wasn't taken with a lot of enthusiasm. His form at the Bulldogs wasn't the best. He arrived and was putting in a lot of effort. We have often recruited and not got the best out of players or their form has regressed. This was a case of us getting some of his best football out of him.

A shame seeing him go but if the move makes us stronger than the club needs to do what is best.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I dunno, the talk about potentially moving on Montoya and Lussick seems like weak sauce imo.

Unless we're getting a top tier winger, I don't see the point of freeing up Montoya's contract unless it leads to us improving somewhere else. While Montoya isn't the best, realistically if we had a better player there this year it maybe would have resulted in 6 or 7 more tries scored/saved over what we had this year. So imo it doesn't really move the needle, so what's the point. Especially as we struggled big time with backs getting injured this year.

Same as Lussick - who may not even get on the field much nek year with Clarke here, so why make these big moves and causing change just for change's sake.

Our next few years were likely going to see the rise of key juniors like Ali, Halasima, Sifakula, Laban, Zyon Maiu’u and co, I'm not so sure moving on fringe players and replacing them with youth of no real note is a top idea. Hope I'm wrong!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I dunno, the talk about potentially moving on Montoya and Lussick seems like weak sauce imo.

Unless we're getting a top tier winger, I don't see the point of freeing up Montoya's contract unless it leads to us improving somewhere else. While Montoya isn't the best, realistically if we had a better player there this year it maybe would have resulted in 6 or 7 more tries scored/saved over what we had this year. So imo it doesn't really move the needle, so what's the point. Especially as we struggled big time with backs getting injured this year.

Same as Lussick - who may not even get on the field much nek year with Clarke here, so why make these big moves and causing change just for change's sake.

Our next few years were likely going to see the rise of key juniors like Ali, Halasima, Sifakula, Laban, Zyon Maiu’u and co, I'm not so sure moving on fringe players and replacing them with youth of no real note is a top idea. Hope I'm wrong!
You would think he would be using the compassionate grounds card so there’s not much the club can do in that circumstance

I welcomed Monty's signing in the hope he'd bring some wheels after all the years of slowish propwings, but he doesn't really have the speed he showed as young gun at the Dogs, not sure if he lost it or never actually had it. Loved his brutal carries and D though. Hope we've signed an actual speedster to take his spot.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back