• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 13/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Sifakula (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Daily Telegraph article

Marcelo Montoya and Jack Bird join Benji Marshall at Wests Tigers | NRL Market Watch

Hard charging winger Marcelo Montoya and Jack Bird have signed on with Benji Marshall at the Wests Tigers.
Warriors winger Marcelo Montoya is the latest name to be linked to the Tigers as the club continues to revamp its roster following a third straight wooden spoon.
It is understood that the Tigers have spoken with Montoya about a possible switch to the club as early as next season. This comes despite Montoya still having a year left on his contract with the Warriors.
The Warriors have given Montoya permission to test the market before the November 1 trade window opens as their backline has a stack of depth.
The Tigers are desperately trying to bolster their own backline stocks despite already adding Sunia Turuva (Panthers) and Jeral Skelton (Bulldogs) from next season.
Montoya, 28, has been one of New Zealand’s most consistent performers since joining the club from Canter
bury in 2021.
The Fijian international is in talks over a multi-year contract. Fresh from finishing another underwhelming season, the Tigers are in the midst of overhauling their roster.
They have added Royce Hunt (Sharks) and Jack Bird (Dragons) in recent days having secured superstar Jarome Luai (Penrith) even before a ball was kicked.
They remain locked in talks with Canberra firebrand Corey Horsburgh who had hoped to have a decision made by last Friday remains on the radar of the Tigers. Those talks are expected to reach a conclusion by the end of next week.
They are also interested in Brisbane’s Kobe Hetherington who has been given his own permission to speak with rival clubs.
The Tigers farewelled a host of players on Friday night with Junior Tupou (Dolphins), Isaiah Papali’i (Panthers) and Stefano Utoikamanu (Melbourne) playing their last game for the club.
The future of veteran forward John Bateman remains unclear after he was granted permission to quit the club mid-season to join Sam Burgess in Warrington.
Bateman remains contracted at the Tigers until the end of 2026 but is unlikely to return to the club.

"The Warriors have given Montoya permission to test the market before the November 1 trade window opens as their backline has a stack of depth." Where do they come up with this shit :ROFLMAO:

Losing Montoya won't free up too much coin, but it opens a spot, and means we can invest in someone with the attributes the team is short of on our flanks. Good stuff. I've loved Montoya's competitiveness, and I'm glad he could re-boot his career here. His efforts were a pleasant surprise, but this is a good time to part ways.

I'm really relieved it wasn't Pompey. His contract is the kind that is gold dust to any footy team. Fantastic local back up player, and a guy that won't let you down in FG. I really hope we keep him around.

The Tigers will be an interesting watch next year. They need to get some success while Api Koroisau is still in the good part of his career.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
"The Warriors have given Montoya permission to test the market before the November 1 trade window opens as their backline has a stack of depth." Where do they come up with this shit :ROFLMAO:

Losing Montoya won't free up too much coin, but it opens a spot, and means we can invest in someone with the attributes the team is short of on our flanks. Good stuff. I've loved Montoya's competitiveness, and I'm glad he good re-boot his career here. His efforts were a pleasant surprise, but this is a good time to part ways.

I'm really relieved it wasn't Pompey. His contract is the kind that is gold dust to any footy team. Fantastic local back up player, and a guy that won't let you down in FG. I really hope we keep him around.

The Tigers will be an interesting watch next year. They need to get some success why Api Koroisau is still in the good part of his career.
Api?
Did you not watch him last night
He was rubbish

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
The problem with this is that it just soaks up a top 30 spot if Webby has no intention of using him, as the youth comes through.
Zyon Maiu’u maybe but the other 3 outstanding juniors are edges and a centre.
I think keeping Bunty is necessary if there is no other signings.
If the youth are good enough they will leap frog him anyway.
At least Webby knows what Bunty can offer week to week and be reliable.

Zyon Maiu’u maybe but the other 3 outstanding juniors are edges and a centre.
I think keeping Bunty is necessary if there is no other signings.
If the youth are good enough they will leap frog him anyway.
At least Webby knows what Bunty can offer week to week and be reliable.
You don't see Sifakula moving to prop? I see him, TSS, Zyon Maiu’u, Niukore, Barnett, JFH, even Ford as likely future options. Crosby in 2-3 years.

I like Bunty for a lot of different reasons, but I see Webby going another route.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Randoms posting on Facebook that Montoya's wife is pregnant with twins. Probably ends up being a mutual agreement to leave early.

Edit: checked her Instagram. Was announced a month ago that they are expecting twin girls. Already have a boy.

Double Edit: She's one of those annoying people that labels their dog as a "big brother" 🙄🙄🙄

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back