• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Shaun Johnson Appreciation thread

I said a few weeks ago when he announced his retirement that it would be great to see a few more great moments.

I was thinking if it was a step it wouldn't need to be him scoring he could make the break to set someone else up to score. I was more hoping we'd see passes like last year as that would be more realistic. The way things were going this year it was highly unlikely. He has had an injury interrupted and has been missing a bit when he has come back. The support runners weren't in place like last year making things harder.

We go the clock wound back in his last game. A few steps. Then controlling the game like 2023. Hearing him talk post match about being in the zone was great.

Have we ever had a player who can nail the clutch moments like Johnson?
Match winning field goals, late tries.

I am not looking forward to the close losses we will get in years to come, similar to the golden point games this year or his time at the Sharks when we'd miss field goals straight in front.

NZWarriors.com
For someone who's played busted for a good portion of the year, with massive injuries and reshuffles in the team and massively down on confidence at times, he's still produced 15 try assists in 16 games which, % wise is up there with the top halves of the comp this year.

Pretty amazing really, and a massive 'what if' year with all those injuries.

I dunno, maybe I'm still in the bargaining stage of grief, but you cant tell me SJ couldn't sit on the bench and play 20-40 min a game next year? Similar to how Benji did at Souths. Picking up Erin Clarke means that we don't have to have a hooker on the bench so we've got space for him imo.

Come on Shaun, Vegas is calling!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
this was super cool from last night.
What a treat that was eh?

Think we've missed a trick not rolling him out for these press conferences all this time. Who cares if he's captain or not, he could give quite a number of coaches even some lessons in how to deal with these. The journalists there were eating it up

You never get the stock standard cliche replies with SJ.....its always thoughtful, insightful and seems honest. Class from Webby just to take a back seat there as well.

If your Adam Blair you might be a bit worried about your commentary spot next year maybe......and if your Sky TV your moving heaven and earth to find some way of getting this guy on board.

Has he ruled out a return to the kiwis based on that game last night selectors would surely be stupid not to include now he is fully fit?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Besides it being fathers day and the win. It was great waking up this morning.

I asked my son why he wasn't watching the All Blacks I recorded for him. The recording failed due to rain fade.

What about the Warriors? He got bored at halftime.

That led to me telling him he should watch the final game of the season. It is also a legends last game you need to watch him as you won't be able to see him play in future.

As the game goes on. Do they win?🤔

My top 5 sj moments.

1- The try against England to put us into the World Cup final.
2- Putting Lewis brown over against the storm to put us into the grant final.
3- Burning inglis to ice the tri nations final.
4- THAT broncos solo try.
5- Last night.
Love it! You could come up with 20 moments that are insane. That try against the Panthers, can’t recall if it was golden point, but geez it was cold that night, the original 15 out of 10 on the incredible meter Sharks try, the Michael Jennings chase just to name a couple. Such a legend.

Is he ever in the conversation for Hall of Fame?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Kiwis end of year tests?
I mean who drops out? We just beat Aussie 30-0

And as much as SJ has been a great talent, I don't think one game at the end of the season with nothing to lose or gain, and having the benefit of a sin bin to help with the come back is a great guide. Or fair on players who gave been performing consistently

If Laura McGoldrick and Stephen McIvor can get paid to talk about Rugby League, surely SJ can.
Well, Sky Sport NZ just like the NZRL have a tendency of looking gift horses in the mouth.

Speaking of Laura dont know if many caught the NZ coverage when Shaun was paying tribute to his dad that teared her up.....must admit my hayfever was playing up about the same time.......damn allergies.......

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement