• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
sj.png

Player Shaun Johnson

Date of Birth
Sep 9, 1990
Birth Location
Auckland, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Height (cm)
179 cm
Weight (kg)
92 kg
Position/s
  1. Five-Eighth
  2. Halfback
Nickname
Princess
Forum Nickname/s
SJ
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Jun 4, 2011
NRL Debut Details
NRL 2011, Round 13, Sydney City Roosters
Warriors Debut Date
Jun 4, 2011
Warriors Debut Details
NRL 2011, Round 13, Sydney City Roosters
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2009
  2. 2010
  3. 2011
  4. 2012
  5. 2013
  6. 2014
  7. 2015
  8. 2016
  9. 2017
  10. 2018
  11. 2022
  12. 2023
  13. 2024
College/s
Orewa College
Signed To
Cronulla Sharks (2019-21)
Signed From
Hibiscus Coast Raiders
Junior Club/s
Hibiscus Coast Raiders
Previous Club/s
Cronulla Sharks (2019-21)
Current Club
NZ Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. World/NRL All Stars
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Player of the Year
  2. Golden Boot
  3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Retired
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
It’s undeniable that, starting with the decision to let Cleary walk & replace him with Bluey, the Warriors failed SJ.
Cleary was not recontracted mid season before? SJ even played in first grade (or as he debuted anyway). Cleary had average results and at that stage was a borderline top 8 coach whereas the club was looking for a coach to take us to the next level.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing with the success Cleary has subsequently had. Should we have kept Cleary - yes. Would he have been as successful staying at the Warriors? Doubt it…

Anyway, on failing SJ. Chicken and egg. Do you need a good playing group to get a good coach? Did our players unprofessionalism hinder coaching success and recruitment? We tried for Bellamy around then but the big guns didn’t want to come here.

If anything, I feel the unprofessionalism of the players around SJ hindered SJ. Red bull saga anyone? Players not watching other NRL games? SJ was as much a product of the playing groups culture.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Cleary was not recontracted mid season before? SJ even played in first grade (or as he debuted anyway). Cleary had average results and at that stage was a borderline top 8 coach whereas the club was looking for a coach to take us to the next level.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing with the success Cleary has subsequently had. Should we have kept Cleary - yes. Would he have been as successful staying at the Warriors? Doubt it…

Anyway, on failing SJ. Chicken and egg. Do you need a good playing group to get a good coach? Did our players unprofessionalism hinder coaching success and recruitment? We tried for Bellamy around then but the big guns didn’t want to come here.

If anything, I feel the unprofessionalism of the players around SJ hindered SJ. Red bull saga anyone? Players not watching other NRL games? SJ was as much a product of the playing groups culture.
I can’t recall the exact timing of Cleary’s decision vs SJ debuting however we’d been making the finals more often than we missed them under Cleary who was still a young coach. Warriors management thought they were getting an upgrade with Bluey which is comical.

The other big issue that began to derail us was James Maloney’s decision to leave. His attitude was poor in 2012 & his loss as a player was significant. Assisted by poor coaches, things just snowballed from there

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
After a lot of thought I’ve landed on the below as my thoughts on SJ now he is hanging up his boots.

Firstly, a fantastic player. A once in a generation type player, and a player I have thoroughly enjoyed watching and will miss watching for sure. I’m saddened that the end of his career has come but is seemingly the right time judging by this season.

I remember before his debut watching him in the U20s and like many feeling this kid was special. Him and Kevin Locke lit it up in that grade. I also remember an article in the Sunday News of a Mr A Johns indicating that SJ was going to be a hell of a player, and wasn’t he right.

Those moments of brilliants in his first year and at other times in his early years especially will be etched into the memories - Turning Cronk inside out, ‘the’ Brisbane try, amongst others…

What he did in the Kiwis jersey as well is often forgotten. We had a period of dominance and some games there where he just destroyed them, them being the best in the game. Put top players around him and see him shine.

Off the field he has been a fantastic role model and that’s something that needs to be applauded. You can’t fault his integrity, which among many NRL players seems bloody hard to do these days. Also his love and desire for the club is second to none and would’ve had a great impact inspiring many other youngsters to play the code.

Yes the club was a basket case for many years of his career resulting in a multitude of coaches, so they do shoulder some of the blame so to speak of SJ not fully achieving all he likely set out to do.

However, I do feel there were times and games when the team were relying on Shaun to guide them around or step up in moments where he didn’t. Albeit not often, but the true legends of our sport would dig in at those moments. It’s for this reason I still hold Stacey slightly above SJ, but that’s just my opinion from the couch. It’s been one hell of a career nonetheless so thank you Shaun for all that you have delivered and done for our club.