• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

TeamList Dolphins vs Warriors - [Round 23, 2024]

Dolphins vs Warriors

Dolphins

Kickoff In:

Suncorp Stadium

Sunday
Afternoon
16:00

Warriors

Team Lists

NZWarriors.com
I wonder if it’s a new injury for SJ or he has aggravated that Achilles. Really really hope we haven’t already seen his last game for the Warriors
We are all tenterhooks. Any intel appreciated. What is social media saying?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
AW has really fucked things up this season allowing this kind of disruption twice now. Quite unbelievable really. How are you supposed to build combinations and confidence when you chop and change it? Two big risks taken this season with it on the line and both times hurt us badly.
Wait what>
This will be injury induced change Inruin. Good passion for the club though.

Wait what>
This will be injury induced change Inruin. Good passion for the club though.
Wrighty, the team was going good and they bring SJ back who was clearly not right. They bring SJ back again and clearly still not right. Every opportunity to give him a game in NSW cup to test him out. Of course it's an injury induced change, he clearly is still struggling. That's on the coach.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
hmm, SJ totally intended to play, said that in his podcast when his retirement was talked through - 'last game at suncorp' etc.. So a bit odd really, and given TMM was 18th, I guess there was every chance he wasn't going to start ... who knows
so we've gone from SJ's retirement as being a possible spur to a few good games at the end of the season to him being a bit of a distraction ... god, i hope we belt the phins anyway

so we've gone from SJ's retirement as being a possible spur to a few good games at the end of the season to him being a bit of a distraction ... god, i hope we belt the phins anyway
Was never going to be a spur for a few good games - if that's what it takes we were screwed well and truly beforehand. Certainly been a distraction IMO. Can't see us doing any good against the phins or the rest of the other games this season to be honest. Hope I'm wrong about that

Wrighty, the team was going good and they bring SJ back who was clearly not right. They bring SJ back again and clearly still not right. Every opportunity to give him a game in NSW cup to test him out. Of course it's an injury induced change, he clearly is still struggling. That's on the coach.

I dunno man, it honestly feels like you're complaining about something that most coaches do.

Players play injured, but obviously to the point where both the coach and player have confidence that they are able to play to the game plan.
This happens most weeks, and I would guess several players in a team often play injured at the same time. It's just what happens.

Before SJ got injured the first time and came back v the Storm, stats wise SJ was playing better than last year when we all thought he was the best player in the game. So if both were confident that SJ was okay to play, of course he's going to play. It worked out that infact SJ wasn't right, and as such shat the bed. Whose fault is that? The coach? The player? The drs who cleared SJ?

I dunno man, Cronk played with a broken arm in the grand final. Players play injured, it is what it is. It's such a fine line that of SJ was able to bring us home against the Storm despite still being injured we'd be hailing Webby as the man. Sometimes the gamble doesn't pay off but it wasn't a crazy, out of the box move that no one's tried before.

I dunno man, it honestly feels like you're complaining about something that most coaches do.

Players play injured, but obviously to the point where both the coach and player have confidence that they are able to play to the game plan.
This happens most weeks, and I would guess several players in a team often play injured at the same time. It's just what happens.

Before SJ got injured the first time and came back v the Storm, stats wise SJ was playing better than last year when we all thought he was the best player in the game. So if both were confident that SJ was okay to play, of course he's going to play. It worked out that infact SJ wasn't right, and as such shat the bed. Whose fault is that? The coach? The player? The drs who cleared SJ?

I dunno man, Cronk played with a broken arm in the grand final. Players play injured, it is what it is. It's such a fine line that of SJ was able to bring us home against the Storm despite still being injured we'd be hailing Webby as the man. Sometimes the gamble doesn't pay off but it wasn't a crazy, out of the box move that no one's tried before.
Especially at this time of the season. Every player will be carrying some sort of injury.
You would have to be an "expert " to be able to predict the outcome.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

Playing injured I get. Bringing back a player already injured who wasn't recovered when the team looked like they had started to click? This one is probably a little unlucky being apparently a new injury, but based on the results and the way the team had been playing this season it was certainly another risk IMO and it proved to be the case with the Eels completely out playing us for basically 70 minutes or so. Of course we will never know the result if others had played instead. Could have been worse,but that result was horribly predictable. I don't think anyone was terribly surprised by it, disappointed maybe. Just seems AW clings to the players from last year rather than what he has in front of him. Playing SJ and Tohu previously while clearly hampered by injury that are more than just a niggle. Tohu needed surgery.

No,playing a player injured isn't outside the box but playing him injured then bringing him back injured and then again (perhaps unlucky the third time but certainly wasn't the charm) is a bit out there IMO

Last edited:
Playing injured I get. Bringing back a player already injured who wasn't recovered when the team looked like they had started to click? This one is probably a little unlucky being apparently a new injury, but based on the results and the way the team had been playing this season it was certainly another risk IMO and it proved to be the case with the Eels completely out playing us for basically 70 minutes or so. Of course we will never know the result if others had played instead. Could have been worse,but that result was horribly predictable. I don't think anyone was terribly surprised by it, disappointed maybe. Just seems AW clings to the players from last year rather than what he has in front of him. Playing SJ and Tohu previously while clearly hampered by injury that are more than just a niggle. Tohu needed surgery.

No,playing a player injured isn't outside the box but playing him injured then bringing him back injured and then again (perhaps unlucky the third time but certainly wasn't the charm) is a bit out there IMO
Unfortunately coaching and handling players with injuries is not an exact science.
AW is still learning how to handle this sort of stuff but we don't have a lot of other options at this time

Just had a quick look and another somewhat decent half in Nathan Clearly injured his hammy in Rd 3, came back in Rd 8, got through the game but was left out of Rd 9, then brought back in Rd 10 and he ended up reinjuring his hammy again.

So it looks to me like they may have brought Nate dog back before he was ready too, despite the Panfers winning those weeks previously.

Not the exact same scenario, but similar. So yeah, it sucks when it doesn't work out and it certainly didn't with SJ, but to say AW fucked this season unbelievably for playing SJ seems to be a bit of an exaggeration on your part I feel.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Just had a quick look and another somewhat decent half in Nathan Clearly injured his hammy in Rd 3, came back in Rd 8, got through the game but was left out of Rd 9, then brought back in Rd 10 and he ended up reinjuring his hammy again.

So it looks to me like they may have brought Nate dog back before he was ready too, despite the Panfers winning those weeks previously.

Not the exact same scenario, but similar. So yeah, it sucks when it doesn't work out and it certainly didn't with SJ, but to say AW fucked this season unbelievably for playing SJ seems to be a bit of an exaggeration on your part I feel.
Perhaps. Was Nathan playing with a busted hammy to start with? Were the Panthers playing well with him? We weren't playing well before SJ was rested the first time. They freely admit he hadn't recovered enough that first time. Anyway, probably a mix of a bit over the top and reality on my behalf. From my perspective he played SJ (and Tohu) injured for too long, bought him back too soon and this third time I guess is fair enough, maybe I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
The season he has had with injury. The decision to retire looks to be the right one. A shame it has ended with such a frustrating season.

A shame he's been scratched quite late. After the announcement watching his last month provided something to look forward to now that our season is over in terms of the finals.

I wouldn't have been surprised if his form picked up a bit as he pushed to go out on as much of a high as he could.

Let's hope he's only out a a week.

Sifakula has had a bit of football after the long layoff with his knee injury. I hope he goes well. A good chance for him to impress and get a few games in to close out the season and push for a spot next season.

We didn't do well against the Dolphins to close out last season. They aren't in great form, let's hope we don't play them into form. We don't have a team full of unforced changes like last year. Our form though doesn't full me with confidence.

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Sifakula tomorrow. Would have loved to see both Halasima and him in the same team in first grade.

If SJ isn't playing next week id like us to see what TMM and Metcalf can do in first grade together, and a few more games for Sifakula, Halasima and Laban to end the year.

The sooner we can get those young guns to 30 games the better we'll be. Finish the year on about 7-10 games each and then a huge off-season before playing most games nek year, so they're able to hit 2026 running

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back