• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
webster.png

Staff Andrew Webster

Coach Grade
  1. NRL Head Coach
Date of Birth
Jan 17, 1982
Birth Location
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
NZWarriors.com
Strengths
* very articulate - could easily be a politician in a different life.
* Great use of buzz words like pride, courage, commitment, challenge. Accountability
* very smart and intelligent - uses a lot of common sense eg saying a game plan is built around the players and not players trying to fit into a game plan.
* great emotional control - able to maintain composure both good and bad times

Weakness
* over-uses players to the point they break. Tofu, SJ, Egan, Ford and CNK are good examples. All could have been better managed with more rest times in-between so they can come back both mentally and physically fresh
* too conservative and not willing to take risks.
* Too slow to adapt in a changing environment. Unable to think of an expansive game plan.

All ties in with his over-use of experienced players at their expense and the expense of juniors itching for a chance at FG.

Overall, I think he’s a great person and a great coach. But he needs a mentor to challenge his thought process and make him aware of his blind spots / weaknesses. But that mentor needs to be someone he respects and trusts.

On to 2025.

I thought this was going to be the year CNK would join the top fullbacks in the league. But he's had a pretty forgettable season after the improvements he showed last year with ball in hand.

Can't fault his effort. But do we really need him taking two hit ups a set and wasting all his energy? It's what I used to and still don't like about Roger at fullback.

Where is the ball playing or sniffing round the ruck for an offload? We are a slow and boring team as it is. The last thing we need is a hit up merchant at fullback to add to the pain.

As much as I love CHT, he's been caught on his heels a heap of times setting up for the next play when he should have been pushing through for the offload.

Really hope Webby and the squad all have a profitable off season. Because the over reliance on senior players, attack, defensive resolve, bench use, on and on you could go. It's been a pretty terrible season across the board if we are being honest.
I would be happy to see Tuaupiki be given the jersey full time next year.

Strengths
* Great use of buzz words like pride, courage, commitment, challenge. Accountability
* very smart and intelligent - uses a lot of common sense eg saying a game plan is built around the players and not players trying to fit into a game plan.

Weakness
* over-uses players to the point they break. Tofu, SJ, Egan, Ford and CNK are good examples. All could have been better managed with more rest times in-between so they can come back both mentally and physically fresh
* Too slow to adapt in a changing environment. Unable to think of an expansive game plan.

All ties in with his over-use of experienced players at their expense and the expense of juniors itching for a chance at FG.

Overall, I think he’s a great person and a great coach. But he needs a mentor to challenge his thought process and make him aware of his blind spots / weaknesses. But that mentor needs to be someone he respects and trusts.

On to 2025.
I don’t think he is a great coach at all. Inexperienced and just finding his feet, let the next 2 years judge him. To quickly have we offered a coach a long term gig after one ok season, S. Kearney anyone?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Strengths

Weakness

On to 2025.
I would love him to have Brad Arthur.

He does need time to grow as a coach also, so yes I agree let's see where he's at by the end of his contract.

IMO He's shown more potential than any coach we've had, since Ivan. Agreed that we need to give him time.

To be fair, it's all good and well to dump on him for this season; but realistically half decent coaches are difficult to get if you're an Australian club, let alone us.

I don’t think he is a great coach at all. Inexperienced and just finding his feet, let the next 2 years judge him. To quickly have we offered a coach a long term gig after one ok season, S. Kearney anyone?
Yeah Nathan Brown was way better... And we have great coaches knocking down our door wanting to coach the club? Seriously...
Any club would extend a rookie coach who got them Top 4 and won Dally M coach of the year.
Do we realistically recruit JFH without him also?

How many coaches have we had that have got better results? Daniel Anderson and Cleary.

Give the guy a year or two and let the development systems bed in. It's a journey.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

How many coaches have we been through, how many of those have had us in the top 4? You have to respect what Webster has done yes this season is a write off but we have to let him mould his own squad.

Yeah Nathan Brown was way better... And we have great coaches knocking down our door wanting to coach the club? Seriously...
Any club would extend a rookie coach who got them Top 4 and won Dally M coach of the year.
Do we realistically recruit JFH without him also?

How many coaches have we had that have got better results? Daniel Anderson and Cleary.

Give the guy a year or two and let the development systems bed in. It's a journey.
🙏

Strengths

Weakness

On to 2025.
You should apply to be the mentor. You and Frank.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
How many coaches have we been through, how many of those have had us in the top 4? You have to respect what Webster has done yes this season is a write off but we have to let him mould his own squad.
How much time will you give him, surely if he has another couple of bad seasons we may need a rethink?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I wouldn’t mind someone like Kearney coming back as defense coach, and a consultant to burst the bubble of echo chamber

Webby is showing he is learning not to play busted players and naming brain explosion benches in the second half of the season, we’re scoring a lot of points, we just need someone to sort out the D and have a clutch kicker

I wouldn’t mind someone like Kearney coming back as defense coach, and a consultant to burst the bubble of echo chamber

Webby is showing he is learning not to play busted players and naming brain explosion benches in the second half of the season, we’re scoring a lot of points, we just need someone to sort out the D and have a clutch kicker
Kearny is in Moses stable. No thanks

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back