• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
webster.png

Staff Andrew Webster

Coach Grade
  1. NRL Head Coach
Date of Birth
Jan 17, 1982
Birth Location
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
NZWarriors.com
Webster is a coach players want to play for. We've never had that, we just need to be patient. It's been a tough year with injuries + AFB, teams have targeted us a lot better while we have tried to do what worked last season, without the polish and a Dally M SJ. It just hasn't clicked, and Webster and the coaching staff know that.

The amount of games we have lost by fuck all is crazy high, we aren't far away but have clearly forgotten how to win. But talk about getting rid of the coach is laughable really.. I'm worried more about our lack of a spine leader than coaching for 2025. If no one in our halves can kick like we have seen the past 6 weeks, we'll struggle again.

Is it purely speed our problem? Because I think we have reverted back to being a team without footy smarts.

Always the fucken issue with the Warriors.

I actually feel sorry for Webster, because they do the most stupidest things at the most crucial times!
I have been thinking about this post. I was wondering if our style of play has an impact on what we would call our footy smarts. Our play has been fairly robotic, largely no frills, low risk, bomb to the corner etc etc. bit of a simplified summary but you get the idea. Now if that's how you play and you're not thinking of the alternative options and chances available does it 'dumb' you down? Both with the ball and in defence? As an example, if we don't run plays utilising our centers and wingers in attack like the Dolphins did from 40m - 60m out does it make them less aware in defence with what the opposition are trying to do? Not saying that's all of it but certainly feels like our mindset is too focused on the rugby league for dummies playbook. Which may actually be because we are dumb now that I mentioned it 🤣

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Like the pre season for the 2023 season, Webster has a lot of work to do going into 2025.

When he was announced as the coach he made a lot of statements along the lines of "My Warriors sides won't be beaten on effort", "My Warriors side will be resolute on defence". Last year you couldn't fault that as that was seen on the field. This year our defence hasn't been able to scramble after the opposition make a break or defend our line for long periods.

The other challenge is going to be our halves. Whoever was coach when Johnson retired was always going to have to deal replacing an elite half. Similar to the years after Jones retired.

Last year when we were going well a lot of people who have had some involvement with Webster would come out and talk about him. Mitchell Moses mentioned how he likes to have players around the halves. You could see that last year. Johnson was the ideal player to take advantage of that with his pass selections. We probably still need that shape around the halves. The resulting plays may not be the same due to the change in players. Metcalf for example may dummy and run instead of passing all of the time.

A part of 2023's turnaround would have been the recruitment drive. Unless we get busy in the market soon the turn around will need to come from within plus JFH.

I have been thinking about this post. I was wondering if our style of play has an impact on what we would call our footy smarts. Our play has been fairly robotic, largely no frills, low risk, bomb to the corner etc etc. bit of a simplified summary but you get the idea. Now if that's how you play and your not thinking of the alternative options and chances available does it 'dumb' you down? Both with the ball and in defence? As an example, if we don't run plays utilising our centers and wingers in attack like the Dolphins did from 40m - 60m out does it make them less aware in defence with what the opposition are trying to do? Not saying that's all of it but certainly feels like our mindset is too focused on the rugby league for dummies playbook. Which may actually be because we are dumb now that I mentioned it 🤣
Seems like every Warriors coach wants to try this back to basics bullshit? It's boring to watch and when mistakes happen it makes the players look dumb.

At desperate times in games this season the team has shown they can make shit happen, but it's usually too little, too late.

Injuries aside, this season I see a problem with coaching: rigid game plans + lack of adaptability = not capitalising on our strengths.

Also some odd selections, another Warriors coaching trait that we never seem to be able to get rid of.

In saying all that I think Webster is great for the club, just hope he learns from this season going forward.

Seems like every Warriors coach wants to try this back to basics bullshit? It's boring to watch and when mistakes happen it makes the players look dumb.

At desperate times in games this season the team has shown they can make shit happen, but it's usually too little, too late.

Injuries aside, this season I see a problem with coaching: rigid game plans + lack of adaptability = not capitalising on our strengths.

Also some odd selections, another Warriors coaching trait that we never seem to be able to get rid of.

In saying all that I think Webster is great for the club, just hope he learns from this season going forward.
The thing that annoys me the most is the wasted line breaks.
How often do we see a player getting thru the line with no speedster backing up.Wasted opportunity.
Other clubs have a Hammer,Fox or Khan Peirera.
We have no one with out & out pace to finish good attack.

Good point. I felt like last year we were more dynamic with ball in hand, he had good shape and a level of unpredictability. Our scramble defence was good and guys had each other covered.

Perhaps the injuries and bringing in new guys disrupted this at times, I guess as results stopped going our way we’ve decided to play more conservatively, we lack the confidence and swagger we had last year.

At the same time last years squad over achieved.

I agree though, Webby is our guy and this season is more a learning curve for him as a young coach than anything else.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Is it purely speed our problem? Because I think we have reverted back to being a team without footy smarts.

Always the fucken issue with the Warriors.

I actually feel sorry for Webster, because they do the most stupidest things at the most crucial times!
Totally agree Bang bus, reminds me of 2017 when we had all those wiz bang juniors coming through.
None of them made it and were just big headed "I've made it" clowns, especially Hurrell and the like.
We can only afford to bring through a few at a time into NRL as they need the older wiser heads to keep them in line.
We definitely reverted to Warrior ball on Sunday whereas last year they held their structure and played as a unit.
I'm sure in the end of year review this will be addressed. I like Webby and there is no need to panic.

The thing that annoys me the most is the wasted line breaks.
How often do we see a player getting thru the line with no speedster backing up.Wasted opportunity.
Other clubs have a Hammer,Fox or Khan Peirera.
We have no one with out & out pace to finish good attack.
That was where Metcalf was great for us last season. In our biggest win against the Eels he did just that. We need him and another.

That was where Metcalf was great for us last season. In our biggest win against the Eels he did just that. We need him and another.
I thought this was going to be the year CNK would join the top fullbacks in the league. But he's had a pretty forgettable season after the improvements he showed last year with ball in hand.

Can't fault his effort. But do we really need him taking two hit ups a set and wasting all his energy? It's what I used to and still don't like about Roger at fullback.

Where is the ball playing or sniffing round the ruck for an offload? We are a slow and boring team as it is. The last thing we need is a hit up merchant at fullback to add to the pain.

As much as I love CHT, he's been caught on his heels a heap of times setting up for the next play when he should have been pushing through for the offload.

Really hope Webby and the squad all have a profitable off season. Because the over reliance on senior players, attack, defensive resolve, bench use, on and on you could go. It's been a pretty terrible season across the board if we are being honest.

I thought this was going to be the year CNK would join the top fullbacks in the league. But he's had a pretty forgettable season after the improvements he showed last year with ball in hand.

Can't fault his effort. But do we really need him taking two hit ups a set and wasting all his energy? It's what I used to and still don't like about Roger at fullback.

Where is the ball playing or sniffing round the ruck for an offload? We are a slow and boring team as it is. The last thing we need is a hit up merchant at fullback to add to the pain.
Just wondering if CNK's carries are out of proportion with top fullbacks. And if both he and Roger do the same then does Taine become a better option?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I’ve seen it said that a team is a symptom of the coach and I believe this is true when I look at teams in relation to their coaches across the competition. In relation to us, things to describe us I would say we look tentative, down on confidence, disjointed and could go on. I feel similar in all these ways when I look at Webster. In the after match press conference it was a side of Webster I hadn’t seen, and even looking at Barnett looking like a deer in headlights next to him, I think it was a side he hadn’t seen either? Didn’t strike me as the angry ranting type, but rather the disappointed parent type. It hasn’t been a season that’s gone our way for probably a variety of reasons but a word I would describe the club in general is resilient, and I think this also sums Webster up. Across all the grades in the club there’s a never say die attitude that has especially been evident in nsw cup under David Tangata Toa in recent times and he’s instilling some great traits in these guys coming through, just like he did at the panthers. Webster’s team has this also that we’ve seen most of the year in more games than not. There’s been the anomaly like the titans game that could have many layers to why that came about? Feel like the storm game in round 2 really hurt right on the cusp of finally getting over the storm but such a young team getting over the panthers should give him confidence that these guys are right on the cusp. I expect Webster will be ruthless now and add and let go of who are and aren’t in his plans going forward, everyone has had their opportunities. I expect next year will see these younger guys get many more games and the odd release and recruit in the offseason where needed

I’ve seen it said that a team is a symptom of the coach and I believe this is true when I look at teams in relation to their coaches across the competition. In relation to us, things to describe us I would say we look tentative, down on confidence, disjointed and could go on. I feel similar in all these ways when I look at Webster. In the after match press conference it was a side of Webster I hadn’t seen, and even looking at Barnett looking like a deer in headlights next to him, I think it was a side he hadn’t seen either? Didn’t strike me as the angry ranting type, but rather the disappointed parent type. It hasn’t been a season that’s gone our way for probably a variety of reasons but a word I would describe the club in general is resilient, and I think this also sums Webster up. Across all the grades in the club there’s a never say die attitude that has especially been evident in nsw cup under David Tangata Toa in recent times and he’s instilling some great traits in these guys coming through, just like he did at the panthers. Webster’s team has this also that we’ve seen most of the year in more games than not. There’s been the anomaly like the titans game that could have many layers to why that came about? Feel like the storm game in round 2 really hurt right on the cusp of finally getting over the storm but such a young team getting over the panthers should give him confidence that these guys are right on the cusp. I expect Webster will be ruthless now and add and let go of who are and aren’t in his plans going forward, everyone has had their opportunities. I expect next year will see these younger guys get many more games and the odd release and recruit in the offseason where needed

Not sure what else we should expect.

To their knowledge they recruited well

Coming off a top 4 finish

Up the Wahs movement

Aspirations of making the next step towards a premiership.

We're bottom 4 with a negative points diff and equaled our worst ever loss - Don't think anyone will have the answers.

I agree that a lot of what has happened could be argued is out of our control.

That being said, most things Webster has done this year hasn't worked. That's very confronting for a leader.

I think internally he may even feel embarrassed, the club backed him with an extension and he has delivered what looks to be a bottom 4 finish.

I was shot down early in the season but I too steadfastly maintain the 0-2 start to the season was just about terminal. It's confidence thing. I think we should have started the season 5 - 0, can gurantee the season would have panned out differently.

There definitely needs to be a change to the coaching structure. I'd like Webby to get a coaching director but admit they are few and far between and often end in tears. As for the assistants - who the hell knows what could be done there - tough to oust the Kiwis coach though... which is probably what needs to happen.

Not sure what else we should expect.

To their knowledge they recruited well

Coming off a top 4 finish

Up the Wahs movement

Aspirations of making the next step towards a premiership.

We're bottom 4 with a negative points diff and equaled our worst ever loss - Don't think anyone will have the answers.

I agree that a lot of what has happened could be argued is out of our control.

That being said, most things Webster has done this year hasn't worked. That's very confronting for a leader.

I think internally he may even feel embarrassed, the club backed him with an extension and he has delivered what looks to be a bottom 4 finish.

I was shot down early in the season but I too steadfastly maintain the 0-2 start to the season was just about terminal. It's confidence thing. I think we should have started the season 5 - 0, can gurantee the season would have panned out differently.

There definitely needs to be a change to the coaching structure. I'd like Webby to get a coaching director but admit they are few and far between and often end in tears. As for the assistants - who the hell knows what could be done there - tough to oust the Kiwis coach though... which is probably what needs to happen.
Thought it was apt on Matt Johns show with Cooper Cronk I was watching tonight in his assessment of the broncos season that backing up a successful season can be hard, and last year was a successful season in terms of our recent history too. Both teams probably over achieved last year, us with such an experienced or old team and theirs with such a young team. The honeymoon is over for Webster now and it’s up to him to respond

Also when looking at the broncos and our season last year, I think Reynolds and SJ were huge factors, and don’t think it’s any surprise that with their own struggles this season, so has their teams. Think it’s huge to have a strong leader on the field that can convey the coaches plan, even better when it’s your game manager

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
To use a rugby union figure that proved a formidable partnership in Cleary/Hart, Wayne Smith would be a great candidate

Does it have to be a sports figure though ? Successful people have the same traits, trials and tribulations. Could he learn from someone like John Key? 🤔

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back