• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
webster.png

Staff Andrew Webster

Coach Grade
  1. NRL Head Coach
Date of Birth
Jan 17, 1982
Birth Location
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
NZWarriors.com
From the outside it looks as though they don’t practice drop kicks and golden point as seems a bit clueless. There must be a better drop kicker than CHT and goal kicker too ?
Because of this Tauapiki had to have played. But It's like Webby can't go back on his stance that CNK is our #1 fullback and he can't stray from that.

He needs to learn that he can care about players and they him but he is also their coach/boss and he gets the last say.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Finals footy is always the benchmark. Considering were we could end up, I'd be happy with improvement and effort across the board. I can handle losing as long as the effort is there.

There is a chance that Webby is operating on such high level that it looks like madness from the outside, but that is looking less and less likely. He's still far and away our best option, but hes learning on the job and that requires 2 things. Being told when you fuck up and learning from your fuck ups fast. And while my criticism can be hyperbolic sometimes, I am still a supporter of his and as always, the club.

Conversely mate, what if we go bottom 4 again next year with the same lack of attack?
I reckon if you asked a neutral to assess our 2025 roster compared to the rest of the nrl they would put as at 11-14th.

Definitely cuts a deflated figure this week does Webster. Never tries to mask over anything though, the reality is we haven’t been good enough and I’m optimistic because of that reality that he brings
First time I have ever heard him outwardly question referee decisions too.

First time I have ever heard him outwardly question referee decisions too.
Where do you sit with this? On the one hand, the calls he mentioned were worthy of doing so, but on the other he has maintained a philosophy of not blaming the refs for anything and the team buying in to owning their own performance. As always its easier to do that when the times are good and you are getting results as we were last season. Pressure goes on when you aren't. Is this signs of AW cracking or justifiable?

If we were in the 8 currently I'm sure he would have deflected and focused on conceding the first two tries meekly that caused the issues and our weak defence on the edges.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I reckon if you asked a neutral to assess our 2025 roster compared to the rest of the nrl they would put as at 11-14th.
That's interesting aye, even with SJ fully fit?

I would still stick with the start of the season we are a top 8 roster when fielding our best team most weeks.

What is the weakness that screamed this is not a finals team fonz?

Where do you sit with this? One the one hand, the calls he mentioned were worthy of doing so, but on the other he has maintained a philosophy of not blaming the refs for anything and the team buying in to owning their own performance. As always its easier to do that when the times are good and you are getting results as we were last season. Pressure goes on when you aren't. Is this signs of AW cracking or justifiable?

If we were in the 8 currently I'm sure he would have deflected and focused on conceding the first two tries meekly that caused the issues and our weak defence on the edges.
The one he was particularly vocal about was the RTS high shot penalty. You could see RTS mouth the word soft to himself when on the big screen. It could be as much as Webster defending RTS, who’s had a couple of strange calls against him this year like his sin bin against the titans. RTS missed a lot of tackles in this game and could be well down on confidence. Webster has already said at one point this season he’s let RTS down in his transition to centre

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Where would that same neutral have put the Dragons squad for this year? The competent coach part makes a big difference.

We will be in to year 3 of the AW reign next season. When does the squad become his one?

Where would that same neutral have put the Dragons squad for this year? The competent coach part makes a big difference.

We will be in to year 3 of the AW reign next season. When does the squad become his one?
Most had dragons as bottom 2 didnt they?

There seems to be a bit of a salary cap imbalance creeping into the team. Will be interesting to see how they aim to rectify it.

Most had dragons as bottom 2 didnt they?

There seems to be a bit of a salary cap imbalance creeping into the team. Will be interesting to see how they aim to rectify it.
Definitely a lot of money in the forward pack with Tohu, JFH, Niukore, Walker. Wouldn’t imagine Barnett re signed for a small amount and would imagine Capewell is on a medium contract

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Last year Webby inherited an ageing team consisting of 5-6 top players, where the rest are ordinary with limited skill levels and took them to the finals.

A year later age and limited are the key words here.
Opposing coaches went to work on picking us apart. Upsetting our game plan with speed, exploiting individual players weakness. And capitalising on injuries by exploiting the weakest depth players.

I'm sure Webby put in place a good preseason and game plans to take us further. Yet I feel somehow in the back of his mind, he knew he didn't have the right cattle to achieve it. (The down side of contract extensions, but more important no players available yet, from the new development systems, I guess)
I don't envy him one bit trying to motivate and persevere with a team like that.

Unfortunately, it'll carry on the same until the roster opens up for new players to come in..

Our issue seems to be we dominate possession and territory but the opposition scores with ease when they get an opportunity and we struggle to score.

Watching the game on the weekend it seems to me the opposition hits holes and our players run into people.

This comes across as lack of speed but it’s also from not hitting gaps.

Thinking about it I think it’s driven by injuries and inconsistency of selection. Our guys are more worried about what our own teams doing rather than focusing on where your opposition is and positioning for gaps.

Next year we will have less injuries and must have consistency of selection in position played.

Our issue seems to be we dominate possession and territory but the opposition scores with ease when they get an opportunity and we struggle to score.

Watching the game on the weekend it seems to me the opposition hits holes and our players run into people.

This comes across as lack of speed but it’s also from not hitting gaps.

Thinking about it I think it’s driven by injuries and inconsistency of selection. Our guys are more worried about what our own teams doing rather than focusing on where your opposition is and positioning for gaps.

Next year we will have less injuries and must have consistency of selection in position played.
Certainly AW has a lot of learning to do.
Hopefully he can get some speed into the side if that's with youngsters or recruiting.
Not many options but to me the lack of speed is our biggest concern

Certainly AW has a lot of learning to do.
Hopefully he can get some speed into the side if that's with youngsters or recruiting.
Not many options but to me the lack of speed is our biggest concern
Is it purely speed our problem? Because I think we have reverted back to being a team without footy smarts.

Always the fucken issue with the Warriors.

I actually feel sorry for Webster, because they do the most stupidest things at the most crucial times!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back