• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Your 2025 team

Our backs need some speed and X factor
Our forwards need some speed and X factor
Our bench needs some X factor and used more regularly

None of our 2nd rowers offer either speed or natural ball playing ability and this needs to be address in the off season.

The more I’ve watched Nuikore this year to my mind he is more than ready to move to the middle and could do a good job in conjunction with JFH.
I think Barnett has better impact as a 2nd rower than a prop. Sifakula off the bench could be a great in short bursts.

Capewell to a starting 13 spot with his mobility and background from playing 2nd row/ centre could be interesting and could play the Yeo role well.

Halasima needs to be developed into a starter for 2025. Now feels like the right time to do it with so much experience still around him.

NZWarriors.com
Our backs need some speed and X factor
Our forwards need some speed and X factor
Our bench needs some X factor and used more regularly

None of our 2nd rowers offer either speed or natural ball playing ability and this needs to be address in the off season.

The more I’ve watched Nuikore this year to my mind he is more than ready to move to the middle and could do a good job in conjunction with JFH.
I think Barnett has better impact as a 2nd rower than a prop. Sifakula off the bench could be a great in short bursts.

Capewell to a starting 13 spot with his mobility and background from playing 2nd row/ centre could be interesting and could play the Yeo role well.

Halasima needs to be developed into a starter for 2025. Now feels like the right time to do it with so much experience still around him.
Capewell at 13 seems really interesting don't mind that at all

I’m still waiting for an explanation about DWZ and why he gets a free ride in most people’s team list despite the fact he continues to make the same mistakes over and over again. I think he was just the benefactor of Johnson have the year of his life in 2023. Now look…… there’s nothing he can do that RTS can’t. Plus RTS actually played on the right wing historically.
For me DWZ is pretty much an automatic selection because on the offensive side of the ball he's the only guy in the top 30 who has all of the core winger attributes:
  • Can finish well in the corner with little room to move
  • Good in the air under an attacking bomb on the tryline
  • Enough pace to score a long range try
  • Decent kick return or early carry on yardage set (occasionally wants to throw a risky offload but it doesn't seem to end badly too often)
Looking at those 4 points I would say he is better now than Roger at 2 of them (finishing in the corner, pace to score from long range), maybe equal at one (taking an attacking bomb), and Roger wins on kick returns/yardage but he is a freak in that area.

I know people have issues with Dallin's defensive positioning and decisions and I have seen some bad moments from him there but it has never been a big enough concern for me to outweigh what he offers on the other side of the ball. I am also slightly reluctant to criticise all of those moments where he ends up in no man's land too heavily without always having a clear view of what happened inside him in the defensive line and without knowing the coaches plan that he is trying to execute in those moments.

The halves and outright x factor and finishing might be our biggest issues, though without the right game plan to suit the group of players it wouldn't matter if we brought an elite level halve in to replace Johnson next season.

That's stating the obvious I guess - the changes I'd like to see in personnel for next year (assuming we don't get a new halfback) would be Metcalf to 7 - he says that's what he wants and he's not being shut down so it's probably his position to lose. Interestingly that then makes a problem for five-eight - TMM is not that, or doesn't seem to work like that and Chanel seems likely to move into a more all round utility player (SJ said of him 'ball-player lock' in that social media thing that went up the other day). Perhaps that means we are in line to get D Brown over??

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I don't think you are far off...

At the moment my Round 1, 2025 team would be:

CNK
RTS
Ali
Berry
DWZ
Metcalf
TMM
JFH
Egan
Barnett
Capewell
Niukore
Harris

Walker
Roache
Ale
Sifakula
I do think this is probably around the best, maybe CHT as 14 and walker swapped to 13 for tohu on the bench.

Im not gonna lie i thought of tohu out, probably should have retired at the end of this season. And have laban or bunty on the bench

Also i still like ford, i think his form is more indicative of our halves throwing more hospital ball this year, so him for niukora (to go bench possibly)

I do think this is probably around the best, maybe CHT as 14 and walker swapped to 13 for tohu on the bench.

Im not gonna lie i thought of tohu out, probably should have retired at the end of this season. And have laban or bunty on the bench

Also i still like ford, i think his form is more indicative of our halves throwing more hospital ball this year, so him for niukora (to go bench possibly)
CHT I am not convinced can play anything other than halves or hooker. He isn't a potential Walker replacement IMO. So, my thoughts were that he can play 14 but rotate the role between him, Lussick and Roach. That way they are still getting a full game in NSW cup say 4 games out of 6.

I had Tohu starting and then Walker coming off the bench for rest of the game. Tohu can come back on as a prop replacement later in the game.

Ford I like, but I just don't think he provides us with anything other than a big motor.

I think the forward pack should be able to hold their own. Nuikore may be the odd one out as I don't think he has been that great this year when he has been available - he needs to be that explosive back rower to complement the workhorse Capewell.

Our halves in TMM and Metcalf would be one of the quicker pairings in the NRL wouldnt they? The rest of the backline looks solid enough for me with Ali providing x-factor in the centers with Berry. DWZ and RTS probably our best options at wing currently. CNK back fit and with a solid preseason under his belt will be good to go at Fullback. Bit unlucky for Taine but I'm sure he will get chances through the season (I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do on the wing at some point).

I'm sure many want to see more youngsters in there but still need to strike a balance with experienced players. We haven't been that far off this year in a number of games so if we can get some combinations going with the team staying together more and not injured we should be able to crack a top 8 spot IMO

1. Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Watene-Zelezniak
3. Berry
4. Nicoll-Klokstad
5. Leiataua
6. Harris-Tavita/Metcalf
7. Martin
8. Fisher-Harris
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Capewell
12. Niukore
13. Harris
14. Walker
15. Lussick/Ale/Ford
16. Sifakula/Zyon Maiu’u
17. Halasima/Laban

Or, maybe, a pack/bench of:

8. Fisher-Harris
9. Egan
10. Sifakula/Zyon Maiu’u
11. Halasima/Laban
12. Niukore
13. Barnett
14. Walker
15. Lussick/Ale/Ford
16. Harris
17. Capewell

Ali needs to become a FG regular next year, and I really feel like he could kill it on the wing.

CHT or Metcalf, I'm not too too stressed. Get people being off Chanel for some of the dumb decisions he's made/kicking or wanting Metcalf for his speed, but I think with a year back under his belt it will be neck and neck.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
CHT I am not convinced can play anything other than halves or hooker. He isn't a potential Walker replacement IMO. So, my thoughts were that he can play 14 but rotate the role between him, Lussick and Roach. That way they are still getting a full game in NSW cup say 4 games out of 6
Walker cant play 13 properly. Hes an amazing utility that can cover multiple positions in game, but is being wasted starting at 13. He cant handle the contact in the middle on attack or defense. Which is why he gets injured every 25min on field. Tough asf and amazing hes keeps turning up every week

Walker cant play 13 properly. Hes an amazing utility that can cover multiple positions in game, but is being wasted starting at 13. He cant handle the contact in the middle on attack or defense. Which is why he gets injured every 25min on field. Tough asf and amazing hes keeps turning up every week
I think it’s his ball playing in the middle that’s an asset, just like Tohu. That’s why I think CHT could work there because he could handle the big middles defensively and has the ball playing skills from his time in the halves. Locks are often ex halves, hookers or centres that can handle the defensive load and size of the middle forwards and are from positions that have plenty of passing and setting up. Looks to me like they’re putting muscle onto CHT

Sorry man, I cant agree. Whether he starts or comes of the bench he is playing as that middle forward. He did that all last year which sparked our attack noticeably, and this year he has played the same role. The difference this year is he has been starting more often and probably playing longer minutes as well (to be verified)

He hasn't been utilized as a utility with us. His link play is essential IMO especially if Tohu is going to be used more and more as a prop. I'm not sure who else can play that role for us if its not Walker or Tohu.

Last edited:
Sorry man, I cant agree. Whether he starts or comes of the bench he is playing as that middle forward. He did that all last year which sparked our attack noticeably, and this year he has played the same role. The difference this year is he has been starting more often and probably playing longer minutes as well (to be verified)

He hasn't been utilized as a utility with us. His link play is essential IMO especially if Tohu is going to be used more and more as a prop. I'm not sure who else can paly that role for us if its not Walker or Tohu.
While he played IN the middle forwards, he wasnt playing as one. He had much more of a ballplaying role than a hit up and tackle merchant. which is exactly whats happening now that our attack has stagnated. When he starts, he cant break the line nearly as easily and his initial contact isnt as strong.

You last line is the issue. There was no understudy for Tohu, so when he went down, Walker was moved into that role. 100% not Walkers fault, but its compounded other issues. Like not having spark off the bench.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I think it’s his ball playing in the middle that’s an asset, just like Tohu. That’s why I think CHT could work there because he could handle the big middles defensively and has the ball playing skills from his time in the halves. Locks are often ex halves, hookers or centres that can handle the defensive load and size of the middle forwards and are from positions that have plenty of passing and setting up. Looks to me like they’re putting muscle onto CHT
Thats my line of thinking too. We need a genuine 13 and then CHT can play the role that Walker played last year.

He hasn't been utilized as a utility with us. His link play is essential IMO especially if Tohu is going to be used more and more as a prop. I'm not sure who else can paly that role for us if its not Walker or Tohu.
I know both club and player have said there’s no truth to him wanting to head home but things can change really quickly. Take them at their word that this is the case though and I agree he is instrumental to our attack, only conundrum is whether he provides the best impact starting or from the bench?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I think we'd have the same issues.
On what we know is here next year currently I’d be keen on
JFH
Egan
Barnett
Niukore
Capewell
CHT

Bench of
Walker
Tohu
? Continuing to blood young guys
? Continuing to blood young guys

A lot ball playing in all those forwards and defensively sound. Young guys provide impact from the bench. Think if we need to continue to carry a wasted bench spot in case of hia for Egan, we need to consider his future

While he played IN the middle forwards, he wasnt playing as one. He had much more of a ballplaying role than a hit up and tackle merchant. which is exactly whats happening now that our attack has stagnated. When he starts, he cant break the line nearly as easily and his initial contact isnt as strong.

You last line is the issue. There was no understudy for Tohu, so when he went down, Walker was moved into that role. 100% not Walkers fault, but its compounded other issues. Like not having spark off the bench.
Yes, I agree he wasn't used as hit up and tackle merchant. When he came on Tohu shifted from 13 to usually a prop role. He isn't there to break the line. He is there as another focal point on attack and a link to our halves. If you take him out of that role then we need either someone else who can play that role or to change our game style. Our attack has scored enough points this year so I'm not sure I can agree with the stagnated comment. Our best performances have come with Walker at 13 (or middle of the field ball playing link if that suits better as a definition) IMO. Without starting a whole other debate our attack is statistically much poorer when SJ has been the 7 which has been more of an issue this year.

Whether Walker starts or comes off the bench I don't actually mind but he shouldn't be playing a full game and I don't think CHT is the answer in that 13 or ball player off the bench role either. I think a lot of people are overestimating what CHT is capable of - I think at most he is a handy 6 otherwise he is utility cover on the bench.

Whether Walker starts or comes off the bench I don't actually mind but he shouldn't be playing a full game and I don't think CHT is the answer in that 13 or ball player off the bench role either. I think a lot of people are overestimating what CHT is capable of - I think at most he is a handy 6 otherwise he is utility cover on the bench.
Will be interesting to see where CHT future lies, most likely 14 but he has adapted quickly in the past when thrown into other positions. Under Brown he played fullback at one point and people thought that was his ideal position, he also represented his Samoa at hooker to a high standard. Plays close to the middle as five eighth currently and defends at 90% so not outside the realm of possibility he could transition in a bit more? With the physical nature of his tackling that Brown didn’t like, the answer could have right under our nose all along

For me DWZ is pretty much an automatic selection because on the offensive side of the ball he's the only guy in the top 30 who has all of the core winger attributes:
  • Can finish well in the corner with little room to move
  • Good in the air under an attacking bomb on the tryline
  • Enough pace to score a long range try
  • Decent kick return or early carry on yardage set (occasionally wants to throw a risky offload but it doesn't seem to end badly too often)
Looking at those 4 points I would say he is better now than Roger at 2 of them (finishing in the corner, pace to score from long range), maybe equal at one (taking an attacking bomb), and Roger wins on kick returns/yardage but he is a freak in that area.

I know people have issues with Dallin's defensive positioning and decisions and I have seen some bad moments from him there but it has never been a big enough concern for me to outweigh what he offers on the other side of the ball. I am also slightly reluctant to criticise all of those moments where he ends up in no man's land too heavily without always having a clear view of what happened inside him in the defensive line and without knowing the coaches plan that he is trying to execute in those moments.
Ok, fair enough. I don’t dispute he has his upsides with ball in hand. Although IMO they’re exaggerated.

Stats (according the the league live app)

2024. 19 games, 11 tries, 152 ave metre, 80% tackle efficiency, 25 errors. (Ongoing)

2023. 20 games, 24 tries, 154 ave metres, 73% tackle efficiency, 29 errors. (SJ’s career best year)

2022. 18 games, 9 tries, 113 ave metres, 79% tackle efficiency. 24 errors

2021. 18 games, 9 tries, 159 ave metres, 77% tackle efficiency, 19 errors.

Hardly beyond reproach. That’s actually my point. He just completely flies under the radar IMO

In regards to 2023, you think RTS doesn’t have a similar or better year? I bet he doesn’t make half the defensive mistakes that DWZ continues to make 200 plus games into his career. That’s where the real difference is for me. He makes so many mistakes. Plus when he’s in no man’s land that “error” isn’t even counted as an error.

I think it’s no coincidence he’s only signed a one year extension.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back