• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Your 2025 team

I think next year revolves around who plays 6 and 7 for us. TMM isn’t a 7. Can’t kick but I’d have him as my 6. Lots of experience and plenty of big match temperament. Took over from Thurston at the Cows as well. What about a smokey like Lachy Ilias. He’s a game manager. Has a big kicking game. Looking for a long term #7 gig. CHT doesn’t seem to have the big momens in him. Metcalf has zero experience as a 7. Hanson and Cleary still couple year away as well

NZWarriors.com
CNK
DWZ
Pompey (kicker)
Berry
RTS
TMM
??? Recruit Ilias
JFH
Egan
Barnett
Laban
Niukore
Sifukula

Walker (hooker cover)
Harris (Prop)
Mai’u
Halasima

Hopefully Eddie Ieremia-Toeava gets a contract. Seen him at listed at prop, second row, centre. Must be one explosive athlete. Etuate Fokafuka playing 13 for Jersey Flegg. Hooker turned ball playing lock. Could be our long term answer. Bit small from listed height but heart speed and brains. Perfect.

Rocco berry into the backrow
He has size, generally solid defensively, can run a good line. I think he could also develop an offload or even turn into a Simon mannerinb type tackle bot
Can definitely see him making a successful Aitken switch, has the defence, lateral speed, size, motor, a pass. Bulk him up on a few pies and watch him turn into Mannering.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
What do people think that Tauapiki will bring that CNK doesn’t? I see them as a similar operator in that neither is overly creative. To me it doesn’t seem like swapping then changes much. I think if you could find a ball playing fullback that would be the reason to swap CNK out

Last rant about Webbys game plan. Is he needs to learn to rotate the team better next year. We have the depth.
Any niggles give them the week off. Instance SJ feeling a little sore than usual TMM step in for a game. If DWZ/CNK body is banged up from taking the hard charges a week off etc. We got cover.
I've been talking about this recently too. If we figure out the balance and load we'll benefit greatly. 👍

What do people think that Tauapiki will bring that CNK doesn’t? I see them as a similar operator in that neither is overly creative. To me it doesn’t seem like swapping then changes much. I think if you could find a ball playing fullback that would be the reason to swap CNK out
Fresher and younger without as many miles on the clock. Youthful disrespect of opposition defences. I don't see too much benefit other than rotation to manage workload but it's too late in the season for that

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Slowest backline on earth.
We need a backline overhaul
I have come to rate Pompey so despite his lack of speed and apparently not good enough goal kicking I rate his durability, dependability and even his defensive reads. Perhaps a backline of:

1. Tuaupiki
2. DWZ
3. Leiataua
4. CNK
5. Pasikala
6. Metcalf
7. TMM

Might be passable. But yeah your point about lack of speed is so correct it's 😭 😭 😭. We don't even trade it for a Vatuvei, Maumalo sized winger.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I’ll play the game!

Both those players have value with a gun 7 that runs the play and sets them up in attack. With SJ, they were what we needed last year.

Without SJ, we need our fullback to offer more in attack and our wingers just revert to average. Their strengths that were complimented by SJ have gone.

Tough one as I like both players but the game plan around positions will definitely change next year!
Good point. You probably want a Tuaupiki type to play in that fb role as a ball player operating in 3 on 3 from out the back and either using his speed to beat a man one on one or distributing. I think cnk may not suit our future halves pairing as he was dependant on an SJ pulling the trigger a lot of the time.

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. Leiataua
5. RTS
6. CHT
7. Metcalf
8. JFH
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Niukore
12. Capewell
13. Tohu

14. Walker
15. Halasima
16. Sifakula
17. Lussick
I don't think you are far off...

At the moment my Round 1, 2025 team would be:

CNK
RTS
Ali
Berry
DWZ
Metcalf
TMM
JFH
Egan
Barnett
Capewell
Niukore
Harris

Walker
Roache
Ale
Sifakula

Last edited:
Good point. You probably want a Tuaupiki type to play in that fb role as a ball player operating in 3 on 3 from out the back and either using his speed to beat a man one on one or distributing. I think cnk may not suit our future halves pairing as he was dependant on an SJ pulling the trigger a lot of the time.
True. Funny that watching the ABs and the demand for their players to have that ball playing ability is very high on the priority list.

CNK is such a Great person to have at the club. You could put him anywhere and he would give his absolute all. Perhaps centre moving forward is his spot?

I am very interested in Toby Crosby for a debut next year. I think he has a ton of xfactor and could be a real game breaker on the edge. Very powerful, very fast, his power and speed are much better than someone like Liam Martin, he will need to develop the footy IQ, which is very possible because he’s a smart kid.

Surely everyone's got TMM as their 7 for nek year?

8 games at half back this year for 14 try assists and 4 tries. That's phenomenal and a better percentage than the top halves this year.

TMMs lack of kicking game hurts him, however as many have said as we get down the other end so well with our forwards, I wonder if this is something that Webby can build into our game plan moving forward so it's not such a deficit.

Imagine what TMM could do with a full off season to train as our 7 and the combinations he can build.

Scoring points won't be an issue for us next year. We get the defence sorted and I think we're looking really good

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I would prefer a team where Ali and Leka start but on opposite edges. Both have that explosiveness that allows them to tackle bust. Not sure we will have the speed to capitalise off that but gives us a threat on both edges.

Niukore can go to the bench as part of the middle rotation. With AFB leaving we need a bigger bench than before as JFH does not do as many minutes as AFB and doesn't make as many meters. Sifakula also needs to be on the bench and hopefully he can be made into a 30 - 40 minute bench player.

I think Ford,Ale, Halasima & CHT would be my bench. Ford will replace Tevaga in playing big minutes through the middle of the bench. Ale as an another middle who will play in shorter stints & be explosive. Sifakula & Halasima will fight it out for a middle rotation role & CHT can cover the backs

1. CNK
2. RTS
3. Pompey
4. Berry
5. Tuapiki
6. Metcalfe
7. TMM

8. JFH
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Capewell
12. Niukore
13. Harris/Sifakula

14. Walker
15. Sifakula/Harris
16. Halasima
17. CHT

Why can’t Taine play on the wing and get some reps in? You’d have to assume he has a future at the club. Taking over when CNK and Roger move on.

I’m still waiting for an explanation about DWZ and why he gets a free ride in most people’s team list despite the fact he continues to make the same mistakes over and over again. I think he was just the benefactor of Johnson have the year of his life in 2023. Now look…… there’s nothing he can do that RTS can’t. Plus RTS actually played on the right wing historically.

Capewell also clearly plays better on the left as well. Niukore is kinda running out of rope for me. He runs a hard line, but that’s it. Bang for buck, Curran was better than him.

I’d also be fairly keen to move towards a more prop like 13 as opposed to a ball player. Concentrate more on defence, controlling the ruck etc. The ball playing lock thing is a little bit exaggerated IMO. Melbourne don’t do it, and they’ve been at the top for years.

It’s just the case that the likes of Yeo, Harris, Carrigan can more or less do both.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back