Go Media Stadium

Saturday
Night
19:30

Storm

Team Lists

image (11).png

Pompey would have nailed that 🤣

Id rather the one that lands 5-10m out but also we contest. At best we score or regain possession, at worst the opposition are having to work the ball off their line. Win win

As u say tho TMM's kicking was solid enough, quite liked the variety of his short kicking game. Was noticeable (imo) on his longer kicks opposition wingers had set themselves in that usual 5-10m out from their line suddenly struggling to get to the ball as they were only making it to that 15-20m mark, think we managed a couple of turnovers like that......dont think that was from design, just not having quite the same distance. Worked out for us in those instances tho lol

While that uncontested bomb may have been a bit boring and repetitive, I saw it as a thing of beauty.

You could see the forwards of the opposite team struggle to get back on side before tackle 3 or 4, and with them camped in their 20 meters it means more backwards and forwards for the bigger guys, tiring them out so they are less effective and more fatigued.

When it's done well, it's awesome to watch how the opposition is getting broken down piece by piece.

I also think that we can attack some of the kicks too, as long as we're not doing something that may result in a penalty or knocking the ball dead and giving them a 7 tackle set.

I also think this is a strategy that we pick and choose who we utilise it against. The Storm imo are great to utilise this against as they generally are a well disciplined side, they often won't throw the dodgy offload that results in a huge line break where they score (although funnily enough that's what they did last time). Let them work it out from their 5 min again and again to tire them out.
Make Nas have to turn around from our 40m line and he has to run all the way back to his goal line to get a head of steam up on the 3rd or 4th tackle.

I'm really really looking forward to tomorrow!

While that uncontested bomb may have been a bit boring and repetitive, I saw it as a thing of beauty.

You could see the forwards of the opposite team struggle to get back on side before tackle 3 or 4, and with them camped in their 20 meters it means more backwards and forwards for the bigger guys, tiring them out so they are less effective and more fatigued.

When it's done well, it's awesome to watch how the opposition is getting broken down piece by piece.

I also think that we can attack some of the kicks too, as long as we're not doing something that may result in a penalty or knocking the ball dead and giving them a 7 tackle set.

I also think this is a strategy that we pick and choose who we utilise it against. The Storm imo are great to utilise this against as they generally are a well disciplined side, they often won't throw the dodgy offload that results in a huge line break where they score (although funnily enough that's what they did last time). Let them work it out from their 5 min again and again to tire them out.
Make Nas have to turn around from our 40m line and he has to run all the way back to his goal line to get a head of steam up on the 3rd or 4th tackle.

Yeah i never had any problem with the strategy either. It was like "death by 1000 cuts" for the opposition and just loved seeing the pressure build up until they'd do something stupid.

Tbh i think it only started getting a bad rep cause we were losing and that was only because we were giving away constant piggyback penalties which rendered that particular strategy ineffectual.

Now that we've got our discipline in check (halved the amount of penalties we were conceding during that losing stretch) should be able to pile on the pressure in this fashion again.

Simple division of Labour, SJ kicks in our half and early yards in their half.

Te Maire Martin gets the short range work in their Red zone.

Not a lot of confusion or need for on field talk in that case.

Variation thrown in as determined by the halves over and above that template.

Seeing RTS in recent social media videos and not Pompey. I hope this means he's in. The Storm's right side attack has speed. Pompey and Montoya don't. RTS would be an improvement defensively.

I won't be satisfied with anything less than a 30 point thrashing of the Stormafter the way they've thrashed us over recent years... Oh who am I kidding a win by any amount of points would be great! You can do it boys let's eat!

When the Storm have thrashed the Warriors isnt that the Warriors fault?

By the time the ball is kicked off at Go Media Stadium on Saturday afternoon it will have been 3,261 days since the Warriors last beat the Storm, marking the longest active head-to-head losing streak in the NRL.

Halfback Shaun Johnson is the lone Warrior who remains from that 2015 side which won 28-14 – a game best remembered for a remarkable feat of athleticism by hooker Nathan Friend – while the Kiwi side’s current captain Tohu Harris was also present on the day, albeit in a Melbourne jersey.

Fifteen encounters between the two clubs have followed since, all going the way of the Storm, which most recently included a miraculous comeback win in which they scored 12 points in the final two minutes.

To rub even more salt into the wound, the Warriors weren’t even the last team to beat Craig Bellamy’s men in Auckland, with that honour instead belonging to the Wests Tigers, who were 11-10 winners over Melbourne in a double-header played there back in 2018.

nrl24_losingstreak_1.jpg

But with three-straight wins to their name, a squad that is almost back to full strength and the recent experience of having all but beaten the Storm in Melbourne, the Warriors are perhaps better placed than ever to finally end the drought.

“Someone gave me a history lesson around some other team this year [who we hadn’t beaten in a long time] and we beat them,” coach Andrew Webster said matter-of-factly.

“We respect who we play every week, we know they [the Storm] are a great side.

nrl24_losingstreak_2-1.jpg

“I thought we were very good against them last time, but that doesn’t guarantee we are going to be good again. We have got to go after it.”

Hooker Wayde Egan joked this week that footage of Xavier Coates’ gravity defying match-winner from Round 2 had been censored in New Zealand, admitting “I think it scarred a few boys”.

Coates with the best match winner you have ever seen

While the Warriors have endured lean periods against plenty of opponents in their 30-season history, including losing their first 11 games against the Broncos, nothing can match the block they have when it comes to the Storm.

Former Warriors winger Jonathan Wright, whose role in that 2015 victory was one of just two wins he enjoyed over the Storm in 10 attempts, said it's true that the mere sight of the Storm logo on the NRL draw has a negative psychological impact on some players.

"Teams psych themselves out before playing them. 100 percent," Wright says.

"Some players will say 'oh it's nothing' but as I've learned more about the mind and how self-doubt works, if the belief isn't there then you're in trouble.

If you're a young playing coming up against Melbourne, and you're thinking about them winning, then you've already lost before you've even turned up.
Jonathan WrightFormer Warriors winger
"If you're a senior player then you're busy trying to motivate everyone else for it and get them in the right mindset.

“Melbourne has this against a lot of clubs; no matter where I was playing, they were my bogey team.

"If you've got a good record against Melbourne then you must be going pretty well."

Saturday's clash at Go Media Stadium will be the eighth-straight home game the Warriors have sold out in 2024, with their next Auckland clash against the Broncos on June 29 having already reached capacity as well.

There is a massive finals type of approach to this game now, even though the losing streak is 15 games now, it was not talked about much in the media up until this game.

Us forummers have been in the know about this ongoing hoodoo but I think every player and Webby included is really keen to win this one

There is a massive finals type of approach to this game now, even though the losing streak is 15 games now, it was not talked about much in the media up until this game.

Us forummers have been in the know about this ongoing hoodoo but I think every player and Webby included is really keen to win this one
Yeah.

When you beat Penrith with your C grade side.....

Playing the Storm with our full strength line up should hold zero fear for us.

Especially since we were their equal the last time we met.

Fortunately the Cows game was one way traffic, so we are barely taxed this week.

I said after our last Storm game that we will smash them in game two and I still feel like that. I am not worried at all about this game, I think we will be shit hot to be honest.

If Nikorima can be effective at 6 then so can SJ

If Nikorima can be effective at 6 then so can SJ
Chanel is already effective at 6 and he is forming a productive partnership with TMM in the halves. Why would you take him out of there?
I know that I'm dreaming and that Johnson and TMM will be the halves but one can only hope Webby stands Johnson down for a bit longer

Back