Warriors

Kickoff In:

Go Media Stadium

Saturday
Night
19:30

Storm

Team Lists

They're top of the table and we're not in the 8.

I get that we've had great form for the last three weeks and I'm definitely hoping for a win, but one thing you don't do is write of the Storm vs Us.

They have a long and celebrated history of spanking us. You wanna talk hoodoos? this is it.

I like your confidence though, definitely hope that it's founded.

Cows 12th just romped Canberra 6th
Dolphins cooked the sharks last night
Table standings don’t mean much right now

They still made the finals last year with a points differential of -138. For us it matters even less with the draw.

I've got Raiders missing the 8 this year.

Comfortably in the end.

Which I agree is an easy thing to post after their match yesterday, but I put a red line through them when Fogarty went down.

I always put importance on close losses, it's what good teams do if they must lose lol.

I've got Raiders missing the 8 this year.

Comfortably in the end.

Which I agree is an easy thing to post after their match yesterday, but I put a red line through them when Fogarty went down.

I always put importance on close losses, it's what good teams do if they must lose lol.
I just think it is too early to be putting red lines through anyone other than parra or the tigers. Canberra are a gritty side that have an uncanny ability of punching above their weight. As long as they maintain their powerful pack, they will always have the ability to scrap their way into another finals series, something they have been doing consistently for the last few years. So I wouldn't be putting a line through them just yet.

Storm don't really blow too many teams away. Most of their wins (including against us) have been under 12 pts. So this is a 1-12 pt game either way that is going to go all the way down to the 80th minute. I won't be comfortable even if we lead by 20+ at half time. Hopefully the crowd will get us home and give the ref special encouragement not to fuck with us today.

When Johnson is on and everything is going his way absolutely no question about it.
But when it's a grind and the opposition are in his face and pressuring him he struggles to come up with the goods
. He's no Adam Reynolds or Mitchell Moses.
Harris-Tevita may not have the same highlights reel as SJ but he doesn't have the same lowlights reel either. CHT is tough, he has a good footy brain, hes reliable, and he gives it 100% every game. I like players like that

Interesting this is what you think is happening, as I believe you (along with a lot of others) might be seeing the fact that we lost as SJ not contributing or playing well. Statistically this year, SJ has played 10 games with our form slump taking place over his last 5 games (1 draw and 4 losses).

Interestingly, he has more try assists, line breaks and tries, less penalties, and only marginally less forced drop outs, errors and line break assists than his first 5 games.

So maybe the eye test might look like he's been poorer during those games, but as someone else pointed out, most half backs struggle behind a beaten pack and with all of our injuries and lack of cohesion, I think most of our players struggled during that time

most half backs struggle behind a beaten pack

Agreed.

and with all of our injuries and lack of cohesion, I think most of our players struggled during that time.

If we had lost the riff and phins game, I'd agree with you. But we didn't.

We had a completely new halves pairing come in and steer still injured/reserve graders to some epic wins.

I won't say that this is because of SJ. That's just silly. In fact, one of the biggest reasons i think we are doing well is Niukore being back, Barney consistently being the monster he is and Ford to the middles.

What I will say is that I thought TMM and CHT worked better as a pairing than SJ and TMM. It's not about the individual player and this is the core idea of my resistance to change.

It’s not any one player that was at fault for our form drop off. It was the mix of players and our tactics (combined with injuries).

Even in the first month we were grinding wins, dominating but not able to turn it into points. Something a little off.

To me there was a lack of physicality and not enough playing north to south which killed our momentum, stopped us maximising the oppositions fatigue, which kept them in the games.

Barnett and Niukore have created punch on the edges. SJ and TRS were going cross field to much.

I feel we have the right players now and we are playing with the power and momentum that was missing and could have a very exciting second half of the season.

If we had lost the riff and phins game, I'd agree with you. But we didn't.

We had a completely new halves pairing come in and steer still injured/reserve graders to some epic wins.

What I will say is that I thought TMM and CHT worked better as a pairing than SJ and TMM. It's not about the individual player and this is the core idea of my resistance to change.

Yeah I cant argue with anything you've said haha.

I guess for me, SJ playing injured and with new combinations every week probably meant that he struggled to shine. As a result of us losing those games I think a lot of people see that as SJ having struggled or wasn't as effective in those matches, yet his stats show he actually created more during those games.

If SJ (or someone else in the team) were able to set up one more try against the Knights and Titans, we'd be sitting pretty in 5th and move to 4th outright if we beat Storm tonight, and I don't think many would be talking about what to do with SJ and how TMM and CHT should be given more time etc.

But it's all water under the bridge, let's smoke these fookers today and prove were a top 4 team moving forward!

Back