Pick Your Team Warriors v Broncos - [Round 17, 2024]

Btw someone pointed out we didn't have Capewah and Barney the 2 hard professional aussie boys, coincidence?

I don't know what the stats are but we started losing after 5-6 rounds

Personally I can see his output dropped since the Panthers game, bar the Cowboys try, even if the numbers look ok/good it's still way below his average I think
Stats are similar to last season and in some cases better?

Like I say, off field stuff maybe, individually on field stuff I'm not seeing it.

Reactions: CWC
He was our leading try scorer there for a while this season.... Not sure I can agree that it's easy to essentially pad his stats to look good. Off field stuff I could buy in to, just struggling to see a case with onfield, particularly the opening 5 or 6 rounds
I think for the best prop in the game it’s not hard at all. There have been small examples all season that he’s been acting in a manor that says he’s not connected with teammates like brushing them aside when he scored up to the club publicly taking a stand. Apparently the only one to congratulate SJ when he scored in one instance though. Truth is neither of us know and only speculating but his track record unfortunately can lead to thoughts it’s plausible that he’s having a negative effect on the team, even if that’s in attitude

Webster and mohawk and CG will no doubt be having a heart to heart.
Mohawk has seemingly kept a distance from the coaching staff, but his personality will not stand for performances like the weekend. At the end of the day he had invested heavily and is a fan boy.
If money isn't a problem get someone like Brad Arthur to act in an advisory role for the year.

Next week is crusual to the session running out of time.

Last edited:
Now that I am through the acceptance stage of grief..

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. RTS
4. Pompey
5. Montoya
6. TMM
7. Johnson
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Ford
11. Barnett
12. Niukore
13. Harris
14. Harris-Tavita
15. Walker
16. Ale
17. Capewell

If SJ can pull through, I think this will be the first game with all the "stars" (i.e. the older, higher profile players) out there. Every other game there has been at least one out I think.

Give the old guard their last chance at redemption, at home, with DWZ and the Origin boys back, against another young and fast team.

Win, you stay on.

More of the same bullshit, and there is no doubt that Taine, Zyon Maiu’u, Laban, Ali, MGT, Demetric, and Leka will put their best foot forward.

I am pretty confident that is the team we will see tomorrow evening, but I'm not sure Webby has the guts for that last part, yet.

1. Tuapiki
2. DWZ
3. MGT
4. Leiataua
5. Pasikala
6. CHT
7. TMM
8. AFB
9 Egan
10 Barnett
11 Halisama
12 Niukora
13 Sifakulu
14 Tafua
15 Ale
16 Afoa
17 Laban

Time for the most of the senior boys to have a break.
Halasima is having a big impact on his return, he missed about 6 tackles this week but must surely be close? Sifakula’s minutes are going up considerably week on week too, another that surely must be nearing another shot in first grade. I think another in nsw cup that’s going under the radar is Eddie Ieremia Toeava. He’s doing everything asked of him at second row, centre in recent weeks and front row at the weekend

My question for those that are picking 5+ newbies, CHT in the halves and moving CNK to every other position in the backline is:

How long do you give the new guys before it's determined they need to move on or they're not good enough?

Tohu got one game against the Cows before the boot started to go in for him, SJ and RTS didn't even get a game back before the choir rang out that they shouldn't EVER be picked again....

I trust the rookies will also get the same treatment as the old guard?

Webster and mohawk and CG will no doubt be having a heart to heart.
Mohawk has seemingly kept a distance from the coaching staff, but his personality will not stand for performances like the weekend. At the end of the day he had invested heavily and is a fan boy.
If money isn't a problem get someone like Brad Arthur to act in an advisory role for the year.

Next week is crusual to the session running out of time.
Sounds like he might be off to SL? Bit of a worry that the Kiwis coach apart of the coaching staff had that outcome on attitude too. That performance is indictment on everyone that was in or around that game. Need to get to root cause because it doesn’t make sense to set in in the space of a week

My question for those that are picking 5+ newbies, CHT in the halves and moving CNK to every other position in the backline is:

How long do you give the new guys before it's determined they need to move on or they're not good enough?

Tohu got one game against the Cows before the boot started to go in for him, SJ and RTS didn't even get a game back before the choir rang out that they shouldn't EVER be picked again....

Depends on if the juniors win the next 2 and revive the season like last month, if not it's a rebuild for next year anyway 🤷‍♀️

Sounds like he might be off to SL? Bit of a worry that the Kiwis coach apart of the coaching staff had that outcome on attitude too. That performance is indictment on everyone that was in or around that game. Need to get to root cause because it doesn’t make sense to set in in the space of a week

Can always throw money at him for 3 months as a consultant or short term assistant

1. Tuapiki
2. DWZ
3. CNK
4. MGT
5. RTS
6. CHT
7. TMM
8. Afoa
9 Egan
10 Ford
11 Barney
12 Marata
13 Walker
14 Capewah (centre/backrow, CNK to 6 if CHT injured or spelling Egan)
15 Ale
16 Sifakula
17 Laban

What role do you see those players having in the Warriors in 2025/26?

CHT - has provided pretty much the same as what he's provided over the years. Generally heart and limited play
AFB - on his way out. Play him as long as he is delivering numbers. If not, down to reserve grade
RTS - at the back or on the wing.
CNK - to the centres or #6
Jazz - good for interchange but he is seriously limited. By about 10-15kgs
Marata - the man
Barnett - the man
SJ - get your body right and if it's not, then say so and step aside
Berry - as above
Bunty - on rotation from the bench, but not starting
Tohu - you are a prop now
Montoya - doesn't have a winger's vision. That first try attempt it was clear he should have cut in
TMM - jury is out. Benefit of the doubt for now
Ford - fit ≠ good
Pompey - actually have been somewhat happy
Walker - in the middle, from the bench
Kosi - no soup for you

This was our golden period this year. Which key players were and weren’t playing?
1. No SJ
2. No RTS
3. No Tohu until the Cowboys, when on bench.
4. TMM at 7.
5. CNK or CHT at 6.
7. Tauapiki was at 1. v. Panthers
8. Backs Pompey, Montoya, DWZ were in every game, DWZ was at 1. v. Cowboys!
9. Egan at 9. Obvs.
10. Forwards kind of pick themselves. Ford, Barnett, Walker, Bunty, even Jazz…

The key is points 1 to 3. This was so glaringly obvious after those three matches, but no, SJ and RTS had to come straight back in and Tohu had to be given back the captaincy. But with those three chambers, it all went to mud. Before that, the boys were fighting to win, as a team, fighting against the odds. And won. Even with DWZ as fullback, they won.

I reckon they’re done with the old and get this, they’re not fans of the big stars being placed above them.

What happened just before the run of three losses, of games we should have won? The big announcement, surprising everyone, of the signing of James Fisher-Harris, came about three days before we lost to the Dragons. Yes, a great signing, but.
IMG_5993.jpeg

This was our golden period this year. Which key players were and weren’t playing?
1. No SJ
2. No RTS
3. No Tohu until the Cowboys, when on bench.
4. TMM at 7.
5. CNK or CHT at 6.
7. Tauapiki was at 1. v. Panthers
8. Backs Pompey, Montoya, DWZ were in every game, DWZ was at 1. v. Cowboys!
9. Egan at 9. Obvs.
10. Forwards kind of pick themselves. Ford, Barnett, Walker, Bunty, even Jazz…

The key is points 1 to 3. This was so glaringly obvious after those three matches, but no, SJ and RTS had to come straight back in and Tohu had to be given back the captaincy. But with those three chambers, it all went to mud. Before that, the boys were fighting to win, as a team, fighting against the odds. And won. Even with DWZ as fullback, they won.

I reckon they’re done with the old and get this, they’re not fans of the big stars being placed above them.

Are you saying our 'golden run' was when we beat Penny, Dolphins and Cowboys?

I get beating Penrith was a huge deal but let's be real, they took us lightly and were shit house. Arguably one of their worst games of the season. We didn't win because we were super impressive and blew them off the park, we won because we were desperate and they took us lightly.

If we're talking 'golden run', for me, losing by 4 points to the Sharks and Storm, and then beating 3 teams on the trot before drawing against Manly, we showed that we were a good, well drilled team who could beat (or get close to) the top teams, and the lesser teams who were aiming up against us.

Webby has a strategy, and it was implemented well by the players and at times, I thought that we looked like the best team in the comp. At times.

Those 2 games against Penrith and the fins it was literally last man up kind of thing. There was a game plan but largely it was enthusiasm and determination that beat those teams, as opposed to strategy.

I don't know what happened on the weekend, but the Titans made our players look so fucking average. Jazz, CHT, Pompey and a few others basically got ran over the top of. You NEVER see that. No excuses, but when there's an anomaly over a 10 game period, surely you stick with what has been going okay over a terrible day at the office.

Even in this game, about 15 minutes in you could see we were starting to wear them down. 4 consecutive sets each we were trapping then further and further in their half, and we were making easy meters. The commentators pointed out tackle 3 most of the Titans were struggling to get on side. And then SJ (I think) bombed to the corner a little too far, and our kick chase wasn't good enough and they made a big break. From there, I don't know why but we were fucked.

Maybe losing some of our better defenders in Barney, Capewell and Berry impacted the defensive plan, and while I love what Walker brings, having him at 12 wasn't the play. I've loved him off the bench for impact, but I think we love sooo much better with him starting at 13, and then Tohu coming on for the clean up work. But, we then need someone who will spark some energy from the bench. Maybe Halasima? Maybe Ale, Halasima, and Niukore to come on around the 25 minute mark

Are you saying our 'golden run' was when we beat Penny, Dolphins and Cowboys?

I get beating Penrith was a huge deal but let's be real, they took us lightly and were shit house. Arguably one of their worst games of the season. We didn't win because we were super impressive and blew them off the park, we won because we were desperate and they took us lightly.

If we're talking 'golden run', for me, losing by 4 points to the Sharks and Storm, and then beating 3 teams on the trot before drawing against Manly, we showed that we were a good, well drilled team who could beat (or get close to) the top teams, and the lesser teams who were aiming up against us.

Webby has a strategy, and it was implemented well by the players and at times, I thought that we looked like the best team in the comp. At times.

Those 2 games against Penrith and the fins it was literally last man up kind of thing. There was a game plan but largely it was enthusiasm and determination that beat those teams, as opposed to strategy.

I don't know what happened on the weekend, but the Titans made our players look so fucking average. Jazz, CHT, Pompey and a few others basically got ran over the top of. You NEVER see that. No excuses, but when there's an anomaly over a 10 game period, surely you stick with what has been going okay over a terrible day at the office.

Even in this game, about 15 minutes in you could see we were starting to wear them down. 4 consecutive sets each we were trapping then further and further in their half, and we were making easy meters. The commentators pointed out tackle 3 most of the Titans were struggling to get on side. And then SJ (I think) bombed to the corner a little too far, and our kick chase wasn't good enough and they made a big break. From there, I don't know why but we were fucked.

Maybe losing some of our better defenders in Barney, Capewell and Berry impacted the defensive plan, and while I love what Walker brings, having him at 12 wasn't the play. I've loved him off the bench for impact, but I think we love sooo much better with him starting at 13, and then Tohu coming on for the clean up work. But, we then need someone who will spark some energy from the bench. Maybe Halasima? Maybe Ale, Halasima, and Niukore to come on around the 25 minute mark
good points, but I'm not sure you can dismiss beating the three time champs, the team coming fourth and the Cowboys away and not acknowledge that the teams we beat in the other run were very average Raiders, Knights and a very poor Souths team. Also, you say it wasn't strategy in that run against the Panthers and Dolphins (and the Cowboys) but it was very noticeable the change in plan and attacking shape we had.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is whether the gameplan and team selections that we had previously and what it appears we have reverted back to is better at delivering a result than what we had in that 3 game period in between? I have to say, I'd rather go down losing to the three week period one (and particularly the Cowboys team list and use) than what we are currently doing.

But the 5-game winless streak was the same game plan from the first month, there were injury derailment but now players are fresh again, we revert slightly back to the old game plan and got blown off the park in 140 minutes.

Maybe we got worked out after a month and we should continue with the 3-game streak plan until someone works that out and we need to fix again

Let's be honest. I'm not sure it is possible to see any silver linings in losing 66-6 to the last-placed team

There are a whole host of problems when a team capitulates on that scale

Leadership, fitness, combinations, basic handling skills, mental toughness, coaching, bench rotations, not being a bunch of powder puffs, pride, killer instinct

I'm at a loss. I don't know where to start

Back