Pick Your Team Warriors v Broncos - [Round 17, 2024]

I’d alternate between the entire first grade team and the reserve grade team, for the remainder of the season

Webster is going to have to balance keeping the dressing room happy vs blooding players for the future. It’s a tough challenge for a 2nd year coach.
This is the thinking that got Webby into this mess. Players happiness is irrelevant. there is only one goal; the mission, which in this case is winning. As soon as anything else becomes a priority over that, you've lost.

How can you trust a leader who at any moment may make a decision contrary to your success? It causes distrust. Webby hasn't distilled in them that only thing that matter is success. When your leader does that, you willingly stand aside if you aren't up to the pace. You dont sulk when you get stood down. You work harder to make the grade.

By constantly selecting players that aren't up to it, Webby as destroyed the meritocracy. Being the best isnt good enough in Webbys system, so why work hard? In contrary the only way to cut out that cancer is to raise the bar even HIGHER. and if you cant make that grade, thanks for your service, you are now in the Old Boys club.

Lots of different teams put up! One things for sure, if I see the same 17 named on Tuesday I’m am not watching!!! I have a bad feeling that Webby will not change a thing.
We can not score point with SJ at 7 this year!!!

CNK
DWZ
Ali (if fit or MGT)
Pompey
Tuiapeki
CHT
TMM

Bunty
Egan
Ford
Niukore
Barrny
Walker

RTS (bench utility)
Afb
Tohu
One of the young bucks

I saw SJ is injuried, hammy. So that’s one hard decision that doesn’t need to be made. I’m for CBK at FB, but if RTS can only play FB, that’s where he goes.

RTS to FB
CNK to centre
MGT to wing
CHT to halves.
DWZ is back
…. That’s just the backline and we also need Tuapiki in the 17

Barnett should be able to play being 18th man
Ale, Laban to the bench
Tohu to bench or nothing.

Won’t happen but yesterdays game is a catalyst for change

I’m surprised that people aren’t commenting on Pompey’s defensive frailties. How many times are the opposition now isolating him on defence via a ball out the back to their fullback and going straight around him or generating a quick play the ball. A solid player but unfortunately not a regular first grader

I’m surprised that people aren’t commenting on Pompey’s defensive frailties. How many times are the opposition now isolating him on defence via a ball out the back to their fullback and going straight around him or generating a quick play the ball. A solid player but unfortunately not a regular first grader

Every time you think you see Pompey get beaten, watch it again. Almost every single time the 2nd rower and half leaves him outnumbered 3 on 2 or even 4 on 2 on the edge.

Unlike Kosi who stands in the channel not marking anyone

Every time you think you see Pompey get beaten, watch it again. Almost every single time the 2nd rower and half leaves him outnumbered 3 on 2 or even 4 on 2 on the edge.

Unlike Kosi who stands in the channel not marking anyone
Yeah there have been some situations where it has been a tough defensive decision, but he is massively targeted now. You will see that in the first few sets of a game the opposition will go straight to that play. Every scrum play is also now set up to attack Pompey on the outside. I just felt it had become very noticeable and deliberate

I think we all know nothing is changing but let us all dream a little

Season isn’t over, this should be the kick up the ass to make changes. Still only 1-2 wins off the 8. However if we’re gonna write ourselves off this early this is the time to
Play around for next year

This is the thinking that got Webby into this mess. Players happiness is irrelevant. there is only one goal; the mission, which in this case is winning. As soon as anything else becomes a priority over that, you've lost.

Player happiness is a big part of player morale which in turn plays a sizable part in winning. It’s finding the balance of accountability and backing his players for Webster.

Player happiness is a big part of player morale which in turn plays a sizable part in winning. It’s finding the balance of accountability and backing his players for Webster.
Morale is my specialty. One of the most underrated yet important tenets of warfare. If TEAM morale is high, unhappy individuals get ostracised. If team morale is low, unhappy individuals poison the group.

Team morale is built upon success and the belief that it can be achieved. Its not built on giving a bloke game time so he doesnt cry like a bitch. The only reason a team is formed is to achieve a task.

One of the challenges (unless im wrong) being that in May i understand we resigned Johnson on good money for two more years. Form has dipped further since then i believe, but if we are paying $700-850k per season then we dont want him playing reserve grade. He needs some time to recover from the lingering issues he has been hampered by. Some of his early season form was still quite good by way of try assists etc.
We also have RTS on good coin who perhaps is a bit of a pickle for us due to the fact he seems to have lost a couple of yards of pace and some of his explosiveness and is playing outside of his usual position.
CNK has earnt some time based on recent and past performance however he is blocking Tuapiki. AFB outside of a couple of carries looked quite disinterested. Definitely missed Barnett out there.
Tohu looked ok, defensively shouldered a big load but I find it difficult how there seemed to be such a poor attitude across the whole game yesterday.
Quite a bit to sort out it feels.

One of the challenges (unless im wrong) being that in May i understand we resigned Johnson on good money for two more years. Form has dipped further since then i believe, but if we are paying $700-850k per season then we dont want him playing reserve grade. He needs some time to recover from the lingering issues he has been hampered by. Some of his early season form was still quite good by way of try assists etc.
We also have RTS on good coin who perhaps is a bit of a pickle for us due to the fact he seems to have lost a couple of yards of pace and some of his explosiveness and is playing outside of his usual position.
CNK has earnt some time based on recent and past performance however he is blocking Tuapiki. AFB outside of a couple of carries looked quite disinterested. Definitely missed Barnett out there.
Tohu looked ok, defensively shouldered a big load but I find it difficult how there seemed to be such a poor attitude across the whole game yesterday.
Quite a bit to sort out it feels.
Only if you place any of those things above winning.

People calling for Egan to be dropped? 🤣🤣 or people naming players that are injured. So many people gonna be disappointed on Tuesday. If you watched the presser. Webster said he wants consistency so I assume no changes, consistently poor? Maybe
To be fair Webby did say in the press conference that if he was selecting a team for next week straight away, not many would make it. That’s exactly what we are all doing now. Lucky for us, the coaches will take a few days before they decide!

Hard as it is to believe after last year. This season is done.

Doesn't mean he has to just start playing the entire reserve grade side, but he has to start looking at 2025/26.

Club needs an idea of what the next crop have in them, or they need to hit the market. No point waiting until this time next year to start that process.

He'll run the same side out for the Broncos though - he'll want these players to have a chance at 'redemption'. Second is he probably knows that despite being relatively successful in a short period of time, that if he gets a few senior players off side it could properly de-rail the dressing room and hence his position. So I fully expect total conservatism.

Back