Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 14/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
We have 13 players, almost half a squad off contract after 2025. I would assume that's why we'd be targeting Nikora.

Harris - retire
Ford - leave
Kosi - leave
Montoya - leave
TMM - ???
Ale - ???
Afoa - leave
Leiataua - must re-sign
Tauapiki - ???
CNK - likely re-sign
DWZ - ??? Have a feeling he'll leave
Pompey - ??? See DWZ
Walker - leave

A lot of those guys look certain to be released or seek better opportunity elsewhere. Should be plenty of room to bring through juniors while also adding some experience from outside the club.

NZWarriors.com
We have 13 players, almost half a squad off contract after 2025. I would assume that's why we'd be targeting Nikora.

Harris - retire
Ford - leave
Kosi - leave
Montoya - leave
TMM - ???
Ale - ???
Afoa - leave
Leiataua - must re-sign
Tauapiki - ???
CNK - likely re-sign
DWZ - ??? Have a feeling he'll leave
Pompey - ??? See DWZ
Walker - leave

A lot of those guys look certain to be released or seek better opportunity elsewhere. Should be plenty of room to bring through juniors while also adding some experience from outside the club.
The interesting ones for me are CNK, Taine, Pompey and TMM.

Potentially unpopular opinion but….
I’d lowball CNK, Pompey and TMM.

I’d offer TMM, 4-450k (Mid level half)
CNK, 3-350k (Taine fullback 2026)
Pompey, The minimum. (Depends on Ali)
Take it or leave it.

CNK and TMM have their families here so may be a little easier to pressure them.
Pompey, I’m actually one of the few who seem to like Pompey. But by then Ali is hopefully coming right and CNK hands over fullback to Taine for 2026.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The interesting ones for me are CNK, Taine, Pompey and TMM.

Potentially unpopular opinion but….
I’d lowball CNK, Pompey and TMM

I'd be worried about TMM. Imo he's the best we have currently, and with there being a shortage of decent halves I think it would be catastrophic if we lost him.

If they're talking about Trindall making 900k after 10 good performances and Sam Walker asking for 1.4 mil I would be fricken filthy if we lost him and had to run with a CHT and LM combo for 2026.

Lock him down now imo. If he has a great year nek year and he's not locked down, we'll be paying huge money for him

You've got to think that there will be another halves option somewhere in the mix for 2025 cos at the moment we're short even by numbers - TMM, LM and CHT (maybe... remember that he was earmarked for a shift to lock...) is not a sustainable set of halves for a whole season. An addition can come via 1. recruitment 2. development or 3. an in squad positional shift. I would suggest that the most immediately likely for next year has to be 1. ... and that will require a couple of current squad members shifting on immediate deals ... Montoya, and Bunty have been discussed, but perhaps Ford is in line too (or Kosi?)... if Monts goes to the Tigers, who could we get back, or could there be a swaps deal with another club involved?

This all seems too hard for an immediate meaningful gain, as we'd need a first grade ready half essentially unwanted by another club (can think of only one possibly in this category: Hastings... and yeah, that wouldn't be great would it?)

Personally I like the option of trying something like shifting Tauapiki to the halves, but you'd have to worry about his front line defense a la Ponga ... you'd really have to commit to the bit
CNK 100% win rate at 6 - lock it in!
I'm kidding, but what a win. I remember him running good lines. On the other hand, I think he got through 80 mins without actually kicking the ball at all.

Reactions: CWC
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'd be worried about TMM. Imo he's the best we have currently, and with there being a shortage of decent halves I think it would be catastrophic if we lost him.

If they're talking about Trindall making 900k after 10 good performances and Sam Walker asking for 1.4 mil I would be fricken filthy if we lost him and had to run with a CHT and LM combo for 2026.

Lock him down now imo. If he has a great year nek year and he's not locked down, we'll be paying huge money for him
Yeah I suppose there’s not too many options out there as is. I’m guesstimating he’d be a little more reluctant to leave with a small family, and I believe he has a business?
I wouldn’t even budge if he’s asking for more than 600k

Plus I’ve said in past I actually don’t think Metcalfe will be here past 2026 if he turns out to be half decent. And if he isn’t, later bro.

Hopefully Jett Cleary is genuine and wants to make a career at the Warriors otherwise what’s the fricken point. He’s just taking up a spot.
CNK and Pompey can just take what they’re given. You can add CHT in that too.

I’d offer CHT 250-300k
Sorry lads, we need money for stars. Lol

Risky business lol.

CNK 100% win rate at 6 - lock it in!
I'm kidding, but what a win. I remember him running good lines. On the other hand, I think he got through 80 mins without actually kicking the ball at all.

He’s my centre and back up 6 so when Metcalf is injured Taine (FB) doesn’t need to change position and Berry gets to play, we maintain a good right edge combo and get to watch Charnz thrash it up the middle

Yeah I suppose there’s not too many options out there as is. I’m guesstimating he’d be a little more reluctant to leave with a small family, and I believe he has a business?

Plus I’ve said in past I actually don’t think Metcalfe will be here past 2026 if he turns out to be half decent. And if he isn’t, later bro.

Hopefully Jett Cleary is genuine and wants to make a career at the Warriors otherwise what’s the fricken point. He’s just taking up a spot.

I’d offer CHT 250-300k

Risky business lol.

Talking to TMM’s cousin last year sounds like he’s keen to stay.
(Speculate) Maybe they wanna see how he goes at 7 to start the season and negotiate?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
He’s my centre and back up 6 so when Metcalf is injured Taine (FB) doesn’t need to change position and Berry gets to play, we maintain a good right edge combo and get to watch Charnz thrash it up the middle
I like how CNK went when asked to fill in different positions (albeit a small sample size). I have CNK starting at fullback, but being the one who changes positions when required, and then Taine comes into the side when CNK is playing in a different position. Which if the injuries we had this year are anything to go by, will be most weeks.

Reactions: CWC
Obviously dollars & cents are the deciding factor on whether or not to sign Nikora but I don't get why people bag him. Barnett & AFB were our only regular offloaders in 2024 & with AFB leaving if Nikora could replicate this years 25 offloads & 10 tries it would be a godsend. .
Just some stats from the season gone for our guys who mostly played 2nd row

Niukore - 2 tries/2 linebreaks/0 linebreak assists/3 offloads/92,5% tackle efficiency/77 ave metres

Capewell - 4 tries/6 linebreaks/0 linebreak assists/7 offloads/91.4% tackle efficiency/81 ave metres

Ford - 3 tries/4 linebreaks/0 linebreak assists/1 offload/93,5% tackle efficiency/103 ave metres

Nikora - 10 tries/11 linebreaks/12 linebreak assists/25 offloads/90.7 tackle efficiency/89 ave metres

Fully understand questioning the (potential) signing on the roster balance issue as of right now, by 2026 tho and players moving on i wouldnt have the same concern and i dont even think its blocking the pathway of Leka. And definitely on ability its a no brainer for me....an upgrade on any of our current backrowers.

I think what those stats do show is how little punch we had out on the edges this season (which i know the backline is copping the brunt of that criticism)...... but minimal linebreaks, zero linebreak assists from our backrowers, a negligible offloading game......absolutely no 2nd phase for our edges to work off. No wonder Halasima looked like a breath of fresh air in that Bulldogs game

Nikora apart from being the best edge hole runner in the game ive always liked cause he has speed and mobility. As fast as most centres, can defend laterally, something Niukore (and Barnett when we he was playing an edge) struggled with, and an engine to match (an 80 minute player) whatever we're paying Niukore or Capewell......would easily give us more value for money....imo.

I’d offer CHT 250-300k

Risky business lol.
Feel like I'm the only one. But if SJ is going into a coaching role for our halfs and metcalf is still really keen on taking the 7 now that SJ retired. Then i think he'd make for a great 7 and stick around.
Just because he is Aussie does not mean he will up and leave for a good offer. Plenty of great kiwis stay in aus teams forever, can't see why it can't happen the other way around.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back