Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 14/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
For all we know this is planning for 2026. If say Ford was leaving and his replacement was Nikora then it would be a gain. It would also indicate that the coaches do not see our young edges coming through being ready until 2027 which is when Capewell has left. It is a worry not hearing anything about a half/back recruits as our most promising players in development seem to be forwards.
Think it'll just take time for the spine players, have Tuaupiki which is a more than decent backup for fullback if he doesn't overtake Charnze next year, Hanson we've only had for a year and he only debuted in NSW cup this year, 11 try assists and 5 tries from 18 appearances isn't too bad, obviously got Jett Cleary coming as well but I think spine players will take a bit more time to develop as it requires a more advanced skillset and the Australian younger leagues are way further ahead for developing these guys younger than NZ which is why we've brought over a few Aussies in these positions.

Another couple of backline players to watch will be Pasikala and Kahu Capper, Pasikala looks to have a lot of natural talent and athleticism and Capper reminds me of Joey Manu a little bit.

The Panthers system took a few years to get going before they had a stream of talent coming through and they have a much. much larger pool of players than the Warriors with 580 teams throughout all age groups.

5) As it stands right now I don't even have room for Ford/Niukore in my preferred 17. Adding another experienced forward is going to push youngsters further down which I don't like.
This is is everything for me. We could have our own younger, cheaper player waiting to go. Like the guy but recruiting him causing cap and roster issues.

Trindall on the other hand. Something likeable about the guy too. Completely opposite to Hynes who has a weird vide about him.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The Tigers and Dogs get a lot of shit for taking ex-Panthers, but if it true we are going after Nikora someone needs to start asking questions about us going after ex-Sharks

That would make it Nikora, Healey, Metcalf, SJ, Chad, Rudolf, BHU, and then rumoured interest in Jack Williams in the last 5 years, and that's just the ones we know about lol

It is a worry not hearing anything about a half/back recruits as our most promising players in development seem to be forwards.

Baby Chin Doo Do Doo Do Do Do, Baby Chin Doo Do Doo Do Do Do 🎶

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
You are absolutely taking the current kiwis second rower if he wants to come. He’s been one of the best edges in the comp for years.
Not if it costs us getting a top tier half or fullback, not saying we are getting one but should definitely be our priority, not more forwards

And would love to get Nikora, but our squad needs balancing. We can make do with Niukore, Capewell, Halasima and Laban even young Eiremia Toeava

I’ll be happy with Nikora, but I think we have options at second row.
If we’re going to strengthen our forwards I’d rather go hard on a Tohu replacement. Like Leo Thompson of whoever (Erin Clark is not a Tohu level player). Or I go for a High-Mid level front rower, to help with a real 4 prop rotation. Which IMO we need to revert to.

And yeah, go hard on a half. But frankly who? Dylan Brown? I dream of Jahrome Hughes in a Warriors jersey, but that’s not going to happen.

We need a Batman, we’ve got 3 Robins. Dylan Brown is also a Robin (a really good one, but still). There’s really only Robins out there atm. So may as well get a good one.

However I actually like the idea of a TMM and Dylan Brown halves pairing. TMM needs to work on his long range kicking though.

Don’t see how signing Nikora is an issue, there isn’t any star halfback on the market and any depth signing will be paid for by Ford and Monty money (both rumored to be in the market). Nikora’s $ will be from SJ and difference of JFH/AFB salary, if he’s here in a few months.

Then you have Tohu/Walker money for 2026 on top of that

Gun combo of him and Capewah, Marata as prop/second row cover on the bench with Walker, Clark and Sifakula (prop full time then if Nikora is here).

Laban and Halasima will get game time as Capewah and Marata are prone to injuries or Marata starts for JFH or Barney when they are injured or on rep duty. There will be 2 spots open in 2026 after Tohu and Walker so one spot might be for a forward star signing, 1 of our juniors will be a regular and the other will join in in 2027 when Capewah leaves, Halasima is like 21 or 22 by then

Don’t see how signing Nikora is an issue, there isn’t any star halfback on the market and any depth signing will be paid for by Ford and Monty money (both rumored to be in the market). Nikora’s $ will be from SJ and difference of JFH/AFB salary, if he’s here in a few months.

Then you have Tohu/Walker money for 2026 on top of that

Gun combo of him and Capewah, Marata as prop/second row cover on the bench with Walker, Clark and Sifakula (prop full time then if Nikora is here).

Laban and Halasima will get game time as Capewah and Marata are prone to injuries or Marata starts for JFH or Barney when they are injured or on rep duty. There will be 2 spots open in 2026 after Tohu and Walker so one spot might be for a forward star signing, 1 of our juniors will be a regular and the other will join in in 2027 when Capewah leaves, Halasima is like 21 or 22 by then
Wouldn't mind keeping Ford but not as a 2nd rower, prop depth because of his motor and work ethic, guys like that are pretty rare. Can see the big lump bulking up a bit and going well up front for another team, rather it was us if he wants to.
Seems to be Webby's favoured kind of grafter, he doesn't have to be dynamic or a ball player. 60-80 min props buy you another invaluable spot on the bench.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Sign him for ‘26 and let capewell go at the end of next season, he’ll be cooked by then.

Or sign him now and repeat step 1, Halasima only just turned 19 he Dosent have to be starting next year (though I’d like to see it)

We must have the cheapest spine in the comp, plenty money. Roger would be the only relatively expensive back on the books.

Not a well balanced squad at all, but talent is talent and who else can we get at this point

Btw I’m totally in the camp of wanting us to reallocate the cap to the spine but on the other hand, there’s next to no good half options available?

Options next year are none.

2026 looks bleak for halves too
Not if it costs us getting a top tier half or fullback, not saying we are getting one but should definitely be our priority, not more forwards

And would love to get Nikora, but our squad needs balancing. We can make do with Niukore, Capewell, Halasima and Laban even young Eiremia Toeava
There’s none available. Like literally none .

Reactions: CWC
Yea. We really need a third half option. CHT is a good fill in, but if he’s there for an extended period then that’s a serious concern. You look at any other successful club and their cap is spent on the spine. For us, we’ve spent it on the pack. We need a cap restructure imo. The storm have an elite spine & workman forwards & other club castaways and they’re in the GF. It’s a simple blueprint
We did have a spine of

1. RTS
6. Foran
7. SJ
9. Bully

I think the balance has to be there but really the whole team needs to be firing on all cylinders at the same time, consistently and in form.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
This top tier halfback chat is pure pipe-dream. Just not a reality.

You need to be signing someone untested and back yourself to develop them.

- Thurston
- Cronk
- Hughes
- Reynolds
- DCE
- SJ

Most top halfbacks are developed. Some notable moves do happen

- Reynolds to Broncos
- Cronk to Roosters
- Hunt to Dragons
- Hynes to Sharks
- Moses to Eels
- Chad to Cowboys

But this does not guarantee results...

Defense is vital, if you can save one try a game that is one try less to win.

Melbourne have always spent big money on spine. Seems to work out OK.

Metcalf os a good kicker can he be improved. Is it sensible to have another kicker starting Tuaupiki and Pompey likely candidates.

Elite Halves are rare as hensvteeth, and less for sale. So, can one of our existing players canny enough to transition into Half. CNK, Tuaupiki and MTG based on a hunch and f$#@ all else. (Cronk started as a Centre)

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back