• Over the next day some images may not display. This is due to a upgrade in progress. It will correct itself. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 30/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 14/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
Feel like I'm the only one. But if SJ is going into a coaching role for our halfs and metcalf is still really keen on taking the 7 now that SJ retired. Then i think he'd make for a great 7 and stick around.
Just because he is Aussie does not mean he will up and leave for a good offer. Plenty of great kiwis stay in aus teams forever, can't see why it can't happen the other way around.

I'm convinced we will be all-in on Metcalf next year.

I've said he'll wear 7 but can understand if he wears 6 with TMM 7. But I really think you will see Metcalf running the show

Edit:
We haven't invested as much as we have for him to be a 'chime-in' 6

NZWarriors.com
The interesting ones for me are CNK, Taine, Pompey and TMM.

Potentially unpopular opinion but….
I’d lowball CNK, Pompey and TMM.

I’d offer TMM, 4-450k (Mid level half)
CNK, 3-350k (Taine fullback 2026)
Pompey, The minimum. (Depends on Ali)
Take it or leave it.

CNK and TMM have their families here so may be a little easier to pressure them.
Pompey, I’m actually one of the few who seem to like Pompey. But by then Ali is hopefully coming right and CNK hands over fullback to Taine for 2026.
All depends on their form in 2025. Trindall at the Sharks played half a dozen decent games, media saying he is worth 3 x his current rate. TMM and the others kill it next year, your theory is null and void.

Last edited:
All depends on their form in 2025. Trindall at the Sharks player half a dozen decent games, media saying he is worth 3 x his current rate. TMM and the others kill it next year, your theory is null and void.
During his stunning mid season form when SJ was out TMM was arguably as effective for us as Trindall was for the Sharks.
And with a cobbled up random as roster at the time.

All depends on their form in 2025. Trindall at the Sharks player half a dozen decent games, media saying he is worth 3 x his current rate. TMM and the others kill it next year, your theory is null and void.
lol, no it’s not.
Them “killing it” just means that they get resigned……
How much………? Low ball.
They don’t have to sign the contract lol.

(I predict many are going to have a decent years……. It’s contract year. Funny how that happens aye)

I’ll admit, Maybe I was a little brash about TMM. Nothing higher then 600k. He has a family and a business. (And a member says he wants to stay)

But the other 3 (CNK,Pompey and CHT) take it or leave lads.

It’s ok, I knew it’ll be a fairly unpopular opinion.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

I've said he'll wear 7 but can understand if he wears 6 with TMM 7. But I really think you will see Metcalf running the show

Edit:
The season probably hinges on young (not that young anymore) Luke TBH.

Te Maire has many good qualities, but can only do short kicks, so Metcalf is probably going to be goalkicker, last play kick if its more than 30m out, main support player, primary have a go on his own half, choose which option to hit on right side shifts, teams will run at him all game.

History says he'll probably break down under all that, so they do need to sign some sort of half or get Taine playing as both a 1 and a 6.

The season probably hinges on young (not that young anymore) Luke TBH.

Te Maire has many good qualities, but can only do short kicks, so Metcalf is probably going to be goalkicker, last play kick if its more than 30m out, main support player, primary have a go on his own half, choose which option to hit on right side shifts, teams will run at him all game.

History says he'll probably break down under all that, so they do need to sign some sort of half or get Taine playing as both a 1 and a 6.
Taine should be an option too, decent general play kicker when Roache wasn’t fkn it up toward end of NSW Cup season… he rarely got an opportunity.

The Cup coach ruined that side, only excuse would be that Hanson, TT and co. all had quad strains or carrying lower limb injuries.

I'm being repetitive but even if TMM/Metcalf play at their ceiling next year (doubtful) and one of them can actually kick a ball effectively enough for us to make finals, the odds of one getting a serious injury is surely more than 80%. The chance both get hurt is more than 50% based off every season.

For those more informed, is there any possible options in the UK? We could pay overs and offer an NRL starting spot to someone, surely that's attractive.

SJ falling into our laps was very lucky for the club, and their lack of forward planning in 2023 is shocking. Next year is legit looking like a write off if we can't get a 7, ideally as a starter but if not as a strong back up.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Edit:
Such a risk from the club! He's not put one season together!!! How can we hang our hat on him?

We need another halfback even dear I say it..... journeyman!

I’m keen to see TMM get some kicking practice in over the off season. There must be a union, AFL , soccer or NRL kicking coach around who can help him??
Halligan is still the warriors kicking coach.

When TMM was at Panthers, he would practice kicking with Cleary. You wouldnt even think hes been practised kicking for years based on seeing his kicks.

This article from 2016:

If after atleast 8 years of kicking practice it is the way it is, i dont think one preseason will solve much.

We need a halfback.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Interesting interview with Bellamy on Face to face tonight.
Said when he first arrived at the Storm he noticed a soft side to them and he started with a Boot camp style 2/3 day training program.
Was more important than technical stuff in his opinion.
Still doing the same thing all these years later.
I am of the opinion that we have that same soft side to us

Halligan is still the warriors kicking coach.

When TMM was at Panthers, he would practice kicking with Cleary. You wouldnt even think hes been practised kicking for years based on seeing his kicks.

This article from 2016:

If after atleast 8 years of kicking practice it is the way it is, i dont think one preseason will solve much.

We need a halfback.
Halligan is the goal kicking coach. Do we know if there is a general field kicking coach?

We always seem to want the unicorn, solve all problems player. Very rare beast.

These are the ones, a step across player, from another club. Does not have to be a dmm star someone who can execute team patterns.

A step in player, someone with all round skills converted to Half, MTG for me, in one game in FG he was under pressure on last tackle. He puy a kick in that seemed controlled and natutal. Might have been a complete fluke but not to me. He can use his strength at DH close to the line.

A step up player someone in the squad taking a position for himself by improvin in pre season. LM likely as is TMM, CHT as well.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Or we really end up with Pompey at 7 when both halves get injured…didn’t he say he trains there?

Btw Volkman still looks a decent option…

Reactions: kos
I'm being repetitive but even if TMM/Metcalf play at their ceiling next year (doubtful) and one of them can actually kick a ball effectively enough for us to make finals, the odds of one getting a serious injury is surely more than 80%. The chance both get hurt is more than 50% based off every season.

For those more informed, is there any possible options in the UK? We could pay overs and offer an NRL starting spot to someone, surely that's attractive.

SJ falling into our laps was very lucky for the club, and their lack of forward planning in 2023 is shocking. Next year is legit looking like a write off if we can't get a 7, ideally as a starter but if not as a strong back up.

There's nothing in the UK, it would be a bigger risk than going to bush footy and signing the best halfback you see lol.

Such a risk from the club! He's not put one season together!!! How can we hang our hat on him?

We need another halfback even dear I say it..... journeyman!

You hang your hat because you have no other option!

At this stage, you need to hope his injuries are behind him.

Think of Benji, across 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
- Shoulder dislocation x 4
- Shoulder surgery x 3 (includes 2 reconstructions).

He averaged 24 games per season for the next 5 years after that - he came through it.

LM either does or he doesn't which is an obvious thing to say. But to answer your question again, we simply have no option but to trust his injuries are behind him and that he is an attacking threat - it's not that far fetched, but neither is the opposite....

We always seem to want the unicorn, solve all problems player. Very rare beast.

These are the ones, a step across player, from another club. Does not have to be a dmm star someone who can execute team patterns.

A step in player, someone with all round skills converted to Half, MTG for me, in one game in FG he was under pressure on last tackle. He puy a kick in that seemed controlled and natutal. Might have been a complete fluke but not to me. He can use his strength at DH close to the line.

A step up player someone in the squad taking a position for himself by improvin in pre season. LM likely as is TMM, CHT as well.
Sean O'Sullivan 😉🤣

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back