Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, S = Supplementary contract (Formerly, Development), T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 16/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
do you see him staying and living in NZ for the next 10 years?

Id love him to be our next #7 long term, but just cant shake the thought that we develop him, give him his shot and then he heads back "home" in 3 years. Especially in that article with the way Ivan talks about him leaving the home and mum being upset.

If he is up to it then we have 3 years to convince him to stay.
Hope so. Ivan genuinely seems to love the club so I don’t think it would be a conscious plan between them for him to bail back to Australia at first opportunity? You never though

NZWarriors.com
I've got a nagging feeling that he'll never make 1st grade.
That’s a real possibility, he’s got a lot of hard work to do to cut his own path out of his brothers shadow. This Cleary seems like a social butterfly too. He’s on a tricky ride because he’s constantly going to be compared to his brother so its going to take patience to not expect him to carve up from the get go

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
What times?????
He was very average all year and struggled for an impact, which 3 line breaks and 2 line break assists in 22 games points to (I know stats aren’t everything but I had to look because I thought he had struggled). Also offloads at a far less rate than Nikora.
I understand recruiting a known quantity like Nikora, but if you are going on potential then you would have to back Halasima and Laban above this bloke at 600k
Roosters game, waltzed through Butcher palm on Teddy like he was a kid and casual ball to Best. He had a fair few moments.

Coming rom Super League would have been a culture shock too.

He will be a decent player. But if you go off stats you’re probably a Jackson Ford fan too.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Roosters game, waltzed through Butcher palm on Teddy like he was a kid and casual ball to Best. He had a fair few moments.

Coming rom Super League would have been a culture shock too.

He will be a decent player. But if you go off stats you’re probably a Jackson Ford fan too.

Yeah I don’t think highlight packages are the greatest measure of a player’s effectiveness either.
But when it comes to wingers I do love this one

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcTm_EcT0NU&pp=ygUWZWR3YXJkIGtvc2kgaGlnaGxpZ2h0cw%3D%3D

What about wings? If we're still relying on Kosi to be our depth we're in deep doo-doo.

Other teams seem to have an endless bounty of random backup wingers with a turn of pace, whereas we really battle with it.
Staggers me that we seemingly dont have a ready made production line of wingers in this country....i mean it should be in the gene pool.......are they all playing rugby or what?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Players Locked in for 2026 and beyond:

Fisher Harris
Mitch Barnett
Wayde Egan
Ali Leiataua
Eric Clarke
Jacob laben
Freddy lussick
Demitric sifakula
Leka Halasima
Marata niukore
Luke metcalf
Kurt Capewell
Rocco berry
Motu pasikala
Roger tuivasa sheck
Zyon Maiu’u maiu’u
Sam healey

Everyone else is off contract. Of that group, I can also see rts & Niukore being moved on for an early release if things don’t work out. So too lussick if Healey jumps him.

Still expecting a lot of movement over the next 12 months to our squad. We have locked down some serious talent.

Most urgent re signings imo:
Taine
Charnze
Dallin
Walker

Happy to release the rest if they don’t prove themselves next year:

Kosi
Pompey
Bunty
Cht
Ford
Tohu
Tmm
Ale

Of note, I’m a fan of Pompey, ford, TMM, ale but they need to prove themselves this year. I wouldn’t be concerned if tohu retires, CHT and Kosi are released. Hang onto CHT until better option arrives as the depth is helpful but he’s not the half we need imo. The game has evolved & accurate short kicking game is extremely important

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

Fisher Harris
Mitch Barnett
Wayde Egan
Ali Leiataua
Eric Clarke
Jacob laben
Freddy lussick
Demitric sifakula
Marata niukore
Luke metcalf
Kurt Capewell
Rocco berry
Motu pasikala
Roger tuivasa sheck
Zyon Maiu’u maiu’u
Sam healey

Everyone else is off contract. Of that group, I can also see rts & Niukore being moved on for an early release if things don’t work out. So too lussick if Healey jumps him.

Still expecting a lot of movement over the next 12 months to our squad. We have locked down some serious talent.

Most urgent re signings imo:
Taine
Charnze
Dallin
Walker

Happy to release the rest if they don’t prove themselves next year:

Kosi
Pompey
Bunty
Cht
Ford
Tohu
Tmm
Ale

Of note, I’m a fan of Pompey, ford, TMM, ale but they need to prove themselves this year. I wouldn’t be concerned if tohu retires, CHT and Kosi are released. Hang onto CHT until better option arrives as the depth is helpful but he’s not the half we need imo. The game has evolved & accurate short kicking game is extremely important
You forgot Leka Helasima

Re my above post, price matters. I’d absolutely re sign most of those players except Kosi, if the price was right. Clubs need depth players that are serviceable. Most of those players can do. Job, but not win you games.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

Fisher Harris
Mitch Barnett
Wayde Egan
Ali Leiataua
Eric Clarke
Jacob laben
Freddy lussick
Demitric sifakula
Leka Halasima
Marata niukore
Luke metcalf
Kurt Capewell
Rocco berry
Motu pasikala
Roger tuivasa sheck
Zyon Maiu’u maiu’u
Sam healey

As it stands....

1. ???
2. RTS
3. Leiataua
4. Berry
5. Pasikala
6. Metcalf
7. ???
8. Barnett
9. Egan
10. JFH
11. Capewell
12. Laban
13. Sifakula

14. Healy
15. Clark
16. Niukore/Zyon Maiu’u
17. Halasima

18. Zyon Maiu’u/Niukore
19. Lussick

CNK will almost definitely be re-signed and will be our fullback.

That leaves the biggest question mark over our halves. Re-sign TMM and/or CHT? We're filling up our lower grades with Aussie educated halves - is that a sign of the direction we're going? Worked for Ivan until SJ emerged.

We're not going to fill spots 20-30 with inexperienced juniors so there's going to be some movement on either the recruiting or re-signing side of things to get solid experienced depth.

The other glaring loss would be the middle ball playing of Harris and Walker. Sifakula/Clark don't add the same type of game.

In summary I could see us going after a half, a lock, a utility, and an outside back as priorities for 2026. Not necessarily marquee players, but guys who will fit a specific role in Webby's gameplan.

Back