Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, S = Supplementary contract (Formerly, Development), T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 16/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Would be hilarious if Stevenson is signed as the back up half we've been asking for. Fast guy like Metcalf with a big boot 🤣 When TMM's injured Metcalf to 7 and Stevenson to 6 🤣

Stevenson hasn’t made the all blacks because he’s shaky on defence in a position that doesn’t have to do a lot of it in Union. He’d get examined pretty thoroughly in league.

He’s also a finesse runner rather than a power runner so he won’t carry you out of your own half in the way a Montoya would.

He’s a great finisher though, and if he was available next season, I reckon he’d be worth a punt, albeit one that might not come off.

I'm open to the Stevenson gamble, as long as the money is right.

Do we have any guess as to what he's earning now, and what he would likely be earning with us?

And there's been a few mixed comments about him not being able to do some of those key roles that a winger would be required to do, like the tough carries out of our 10m. So...would he be a winger? Or nah?

I'd be okay with a 2 year contract on Montoya's money, let him go to Cup and figure it all out, and be first drop when DWZ or Roger get injured. But if we're looking at a project that MIGHT come good in 2027 and beyond, I'm not really keen

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Montoya has been a solid player for the Warriors and I know that him and his wife have enjoyed NZ. It would not surprise me if they returned here at some stage. However when you have kids it is always great to have nearby.

To be clear, the reason they are leaving NZ is not all about the twins, it relates more to the fact that he was not offered a longer term contract by the Warriors.

As for Kosi, I have no idea why he is still in the 30 man squad, hopefully he plays NSW Cup only in 2025.
Marcel offered tough carries from the back and, as a true winger, knew how to score tries whether at the end of a backline movement or by taking a high kick.
Ed offers power off the play the ball much in the mould of Manu. He could still contribute in this way and add another dimension to the team.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I can’t quite wrap my head around people wanting Stevenson

He’s 28 in a few weeks, He’s never played league, and the All Blacks XV dont finish up until mid November so he won’t even get a full preseason

Would the idea be for him to play Cup a full year like Warbrick did? (Who was 23 when he started with the Storm Ill add) Because if that’s the case then we are using a roster spot on a project in hopes we have 29 year old winger in a years time.

Or you throw him straight in there like RTS did? When RTS was mid at best most of the first half of this season, maybe the whole year, and that is just a couple years removed from being one of the best players in league.

Someone please try make it make sense

Why do Warriors management seem intent on "releasing" the more personable and therefore more influential players? eg Jazz and now Marcel. I'm worried that this will only weaken the team and raise the strength of other teams they are released to.
I know everyone thought Montoya wasn't playing well and deserved to be dropped but I found it a little odd. I didn't think he was going that badly considering how the team was going. I always thought that he was one who was passionate and wouldn't hold back about saying what he thought. My initial reaction to his dropping was he hadn't held back on what he thought was going wrong and paid the price. Just weird he was the only one dropped and then straight back in (Kosi's shocker helped with the return though) drop the winger when the second row, halves, captain and fullback were struggling to perform

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Montoya when his signing was announced it didn't create a lot of excitement. Not all signings are going to be stars or big names. What is important is the attitude they have and their performances.

I enjoyed his early tackle hit ups. He did some good finishing as well. He was staved of the ball a lot as we worked our plays to the right hand side. I loved some of the big runs he'd make or big fends.

This year his performances may have slipped a little. Him being quiet could also have been the ball not getting to him.

He was one of the guys I'd see at the NSW Cup games when the first grade sides weren't playing. It is cool seeing the guys there supporting their team mates.

We have had a lot of signings that have come here and their performances haven't been what they were at their previous club. Montoya came with a good attitude. A shame seeing him go but the club has a cap to balance. If they can't offer him a long term contract let's hope their plans work out.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I know everyone thought Montoya wasn't playing well and deserved to be dropped but I found it a little odd. I didn't think he was going that badly considering how the team was going. I always thought that he was one who was passionate and wouldn't hold back about saying what he thought. My initial reaction to his dropping was he hadn't held back on what he thought was going wrong and paid the price. Just weird he was the only one dropped and then straight back in (Kosi's shocker helped with the return though) drop the winger when the second row, halves, captain and fullback were struggling to perform
He had a period around then where he was really struggling to make metres. At his best he was up around the 9 to 10 metres per carry and then all of a sudden it was down around 6. He was pretty heavily strapped at the time also.

Back