Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, S = Supplementary contract (Formerly, Development), T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 16/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Thanks Marcelo, all heart. I think this is a good move by all, he struggled this year, down a little on pace.

You don't blow decent cap on wingers. We have soooo many backs in this squad already, I hope we move the pieces we have to work. Berry, CNK, DWZ, RTS, Pompey, Taine and Ali all are NRL standard, we just need to get the set up right. Add Pasikala and Kosi as injury depth.

Kosi is back up wing that scares me

The pessimist in me says that Pasikala doesn't get a lick of first grade this year if there are injuries and Webby persists with Ed as the back up wing

The optimist says that Big Ed will come in for any injuries to DWZ or RTS (Im still holding out for Ali to be shifted to the wing though) before Origin, but from that point on Pasikala will take over as the 3rd stringer

🤞

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Montoya has been a solid player for the Warriors and I know that him and his wife have enjoyed NZ. It would not surprise me if they returned here at some stage. However when you have kids it is always great to have nearby.

To be clear, the reason they are leaving NZ is not all about the twins, it relates more to the fact that he was not offered a longer term contract by the Warriors.

As for Kosi, I have no idea why he is still in the 30 man squad, hopefully he plays NSW Cup only in 2025.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I love and play/ed rugby
I’m a chiefs man
And I genuinely like Stevenson….. as a union player. And feel he’s been unlucky to not get more higher honours.

But he ain’t the one bruh, I don’t think he’ll be a dud or anything. But a 28 year old FB/winger. Sacrifice a year or 2 to actually learn the game.

I don’t like the Stevenson thing

The pessimist in me says that Pasikala doesn't get a lick of first grade this year if there are injuries and Webby persists with Ed as the back up wing

The optimist says that Big Ed will come in for any injuries to DWZ or RTS (Im still holding out for Ali to be shifted to the wing though) before Origin, but from that point on Pasikala will take over as the 3rd stringer

🤞
Man I hope Ed does a 180 and comes out as a beast in 2025. That would be the best outcome for all parties.

Honestly which position for Stevenson lol

He's not a half, we're packed at centres, we have 3 fullbacks, & we have Roger & DWZ on the wings.

Unless they're letting Roger go, or keep him at centre to block others, and have Stevenson as the other finisher

Rugby fullbacks do have way bigger punts and probably better field goal kicking abilities lol, maybe he's here for that on top of his speed 🤣

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'll miss Montoya. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he played for us and while there were a few shockers and a brain snap or two, he gave a shit and tried his guts out.
I love those kinda guys - the ones who don't have the most talent in the world but who bust their arse for the team.
His last try in Warriors colours - the cut out pass from Metcalf to get us in front against the Sharks was an absolutely beauty.
Stoked for him that he's been able to pick up a longer contract somewhere else.

I guess that means the Bulldogs move up a notch in my books. That now puts them at notch one lol

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I don't mind the Stevenson signing rumour. We are missing a player with pace and also a kicking game - he ticks both boxes. Why is it that the Storm signs NZRU players and we basically have the ability to pick up any of them and we , in the past, looked at high profile AB's as marketing gimmicks.
It just seems a little strange that he's on the NZRU tour and then will come back and announce that he's moving to RL, Hmmm?
In saying that the new young Tigers outside back did the same thing after scoring 3 tries for the Aust schoolboys RU team.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'll miss Montoya. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he played for us and while there were a few shockers and a brain snap or two, he gave a shit and tried his guts out.
I love those kinda guys - the ones who don't have the most talent in the world but who bust their arse for the team.
His last try in Warriors colours - the cut out pass from Metcalf to get us in front against the Sharks was an absolutely beauty.
Stoked for him that he's been able to pick up a longer contract somewhere else.

I guess that means the Bulldogs move up a notch in my books. That now puts them at notch one lol
Why do Warriors management seem intent on "releasing" the more personable and therefore more influential players? eg Jazz and now Marcel. I'm worried that this will only weaken the team and raise the strength of other teams they are released to.

Last edited:
Why do Warriors management seem intent on "releasing" the more personable and therefore more influential players? eg Jazz and now Marcel. I'm worried that this will only will weaken the team and raise the strength of other teams they are released to.

Yeah I've deffo been a bit worried about losing SJ, Montoya, Addin, and Jazz for their off field mana, as imo they're all hearty Wahs type players. Add to that we'll likely lose Tohu and Bunty in the next 12 months and all of a sudden that core 'Wahs' feeling might be getting a little thin on the ground. Hopefully our young fullas have boat loads of that coming through

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
For all the people anti the Stevenson potential pick, Uncle Wayne wanted him, why do you think he wanted him?

Yes, but there is more context. This was 2022 when the Dolphins were really struggling to get signings and get themselves off the ground, Stevenson had had his best season and he was 25 years old.

I don't have any strong feelings on his potential signing (or non-signing). I do feel the Bennett link could be one of many yay/nay arguments that shouldn't be elevated over each other. Plus Bennett signs players that work for him, but don't work for other teams because he is Bennett.

Back