Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, S = Supplementary contract (Formerly, Development), T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 16/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com

Sport Confidential: Marcelo Montoya on verge of Canterbury Bulldogs return, battle of codes for teen Panthers star​

The Bulldogs are on the verge of signing a replacement for Josh Addo-Carr, set to bring one of their former players back to Canterbury after his current club granted him permission to leave.
Brent Read and Michael Carayannis

5 min read
October 10, 2024 - 5:16PM
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../e76d66734000d18a258c940ee8edfdb8#share-tools

The Bulldogs are planning for life without Josh Addo-Carr with Canterbury emerging as Marcelo Montoya’s preferred destination.
It is understood that Montoya is on the verge of returning to Canterbury having been granted permission from the Warriors to talk with rival clubs.
The Tigers also expressed an interest in signing the Fijian international but the Bulldogs are now his most likely destination.
Montoya is likely to be granted a release from the final 12 months of his contract with the Warriors to link up with Canterbury. He made his debut at the Bulldogs and played 54 top grade games but it was with the Warriors where he has established himself as a regular first-grader.
The Montoya move comes as Addo-Carr is yet to decide on his long-term future after being granted permission to leave Canterbury. Addo-Carr has 12 months left on his deal with the Bulldogs but he has played his last game for the club.
Marcelo Montoya appears set for a Canterbury return. Picture: Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

Marcelo Montoya appears set for a Canterbury return. Picture: Fiona Goodall/Getty Images
Josh Addo-Carr has been shown the exit door by the Bulldogs. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Josh Addo-Carr has been shown the exit door by the Bulldogs. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

KNIGHT IS HOT PROPERTY

Newcastle and New Zealand prop Leo Thompson is ready to spark a bidding war for his services after informing the Knights that he will head to November 1.
Newcastle have tabled an upgrade and extension to Thompson but the key forward wants to explore his options with a handful of clubs believed to be waiting in the wings to swoop on the 24-year-old.
Thompson is about to enter the final year of his deal with the Knights that is believed to pay him around $350,000 next season, well short of his market value.
Newcastle recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan only joined the club midway through the year and Thompson has been one of his priorities as he looks to set the side up to challenge for a premiership in coming years.
Boo Bailey’s It’s A Funny Game.

Boo Bailey’s It’s A Funny Game.
O’Sullivan is believed to have weighed in with an upgrade for next season as well as a lucrative extension but Thompson wants to test his value before agreeing to any new deal.
Sport Confidential understands that Thompson hasn’t ruled out staying in Newcastle - his brother Tyrone will join the club next season from New Zealand rugby union.
However, his decision to head to market is expected to spark a scramble for his services given a handful of clubs have been monitoring the situation.
Thompson is unlikely to make any decision in the short term - he has been selected in the New Zealand squad for the Pacific Championships.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Come on Webby, make the call for a swap with Ado-Carr. Both teams benefit imo
Almost seems a bit too convenient doesn’t it?
They get him off their books and free up a bit of cap and we get an upgrade on Montoya- it would be the cherry on top if they paid some freight.
Just on Stevenson- from what I’ve seen I just can’t imagine him playing wing in league- looks more like a fullback or 5/8.
Seems an odd signing but would be interesting to watch.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
On Stevenson - and any rugby player we sign - surely for F's Sake the management don't have "Piss Off The Rugby Fraternity" as their number one reason for signing a rugby player?!...
I mean, yes, absolutely, wind the shit out of rugby union by signing an up-and-comer or, even better, a potential AB, but if they're not good enough to make it in league, they're not good enough, how ever piss-funny and a dig at union their signing might be...

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Stevenson is a classy player, Silky smooth runner, massive boot on him with good passing skills.

Strikes me as a FB in league but probably after a year on the wing to learn the game.
I agree, skill level is through the roof. A little like Tommy Turbo, but a better skillset re kicking and passing but he is not as strong in the contact.

I think he’s not tough enough. He will get smoked in the hit ups. They will target him 100. We have such a tough defensive line in league and if they pick that they will come looking for you. If I was him I’d go Japan or Europe and get the big dollars.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Marcelo release confirmed.

One New Zealand Warriors winger Marcelo Montoya is leaving the club to return to Australia to continue his NRL career.

The 28-year-old former Fiji Bati international has been granted a release from the last year of his contract after originally joining the club in 2021.

“We were happy for Marcelo to see out his contract with us but we’re really pleased he has found a club back in Australia giving him longer term security,” said One New Zealand Warriors general manager recruitment, pathways and development Andrew McFadden.

“He has been a terrific person to have at our club for the last four seasons. He made a major contribution on and off the field and we wish him and his wife Tayla all the best for their future.”

Montoya joined the One New Zealand Warriors from Canterbury Bankstown in the Covid era, spending his first two seasons with the club in Australia.

He scored 30 tries in his 82 appearances for the Warriors, playing all 27 games in 2023.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
There will 100% be an outside back signing to come.

It is a glaring weakness of the side, and there is little coming through.

I'd imagine the think tank will be going the development club route with our forwards, buying Aussie potential in the halfs, but I think we will be investing in the backs to gain some parity.

Back