• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 13/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Sifakula (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
Well Wrighty cant say i agree with you one iota (they were never shit house before), but stick to your guns mate...its all just opinion,

That said u have some of the weirdest takes on players ive seen......as i recall you also thought Briton Nikora (probably the best hole running backrower in the game) was one of the worst first graders going ......

All 3 are going to be vital members for the Kiwi's this year and into the future, and any of them would be great additions to the Warriors imo.
No comment - I respect your views. I also stand by my views on Isaako, Nikora, and Marshall King.
Amongst the current Warriors I also don't rate Berry at all. While others have him listed as the top centre at our club. So that is one of my weird takes too.
Another of my weird takes is that Harris should be a bench player next year and that his days as a starting player are done. His injury is not the reason for his downturn in energy on the field last year.

And another thing - I said those comments three years ago. You must have a memory like a steel trap. Impressive.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
This is what the stats indicate @Boats n Hoes (see above quote) if you are only generating 63 metres a game then the great runs and leaving battered bodies everywhere and line breaks is only happening for 15-20 minutes each game. You can't turn the tigers around with a guy who gives you an incredibly high impact 20 minutes per game. Players of that nature only belong in top 4 sides where they can carry an impact player who doesn't help the grind.
The Warriors won't go near Royce Hunt because our recruiting team is in the top echelon. When we do swoop in or make a play it is incredibly well researched including with stats, and not based on the eye test alone.
We are on the path to the premiership make no bones about it.
Just for shits and giggles lets introduce an academic term into this called False positives. When you run your selection algorithm over 100 players some will be false negatives - players who you reject who you should really have picked, some will be true positives who are excellent choices and some will be false positives - players you select who are destined not to work out well.
The tigers have a high proportion of false positive picks - the Warriors in recent years are nearly all true positives and occassionally some false negatives.
Think about the logic there Wrighty. “Impact players are only a luxury for a top 4 team”. Do they become a top 4 team because they have impact off the bench? We all know it is a very close competition and does impact off the bench swing the game your way?
Plus if you did an analysis on bench use you will find a lot of players not used or only for short stints. If you can get big impact out of those short stints you are on to something

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Marata Niukore (Edit)

Warriors, 28, Second-row

$850,000

as per the NRL RIch List 2024. And it is far more accurate than the numbers banded around on forums or speculated by fans.

Yeah this is probably as accurate as we'll get, he was signed for around $700k and has increased 20%+ with the cap. We signed him at our lowest, so clearly needed to over pay be a bit to get him. I think he had a shit year with the injury he had, then had to play second row when he had bulked for prop. He doesn't have the speed or endurance for the edge, needed to be spelled and didn't provide impact. But, if he can get his fitness back, I think he could be one of the best mids coming off the bench next season. Come on 20 mins in next to JFH, then fill JFH's shoes when he is spelled. He's a scary fucking guy, even him and Fish starting together would be pretty intimidating. Add nut case Barnett and a bit of skill in Harris and Capewell, it's a beasty looking pack. Walker and Clark off the bench to add the speed and energy, plenty for Webby to work with in 2025.

Niukore
Egan
JFH
Barnett
Capewell
Harris

Clark
Walker
Ale
Ford

Halasima, Laban, Afoa, Sifakula

I fully understand that this is a recruitment thread and agree with most of your input. Unfortunately he like SJ, Metcalf, Tohu and many others have been playing with injuries this season. Should they all come back fully fit next year we will be back to 23 form or better.
Who plays the role of Dally M runner up (should have won it) quality playmaker for us in 2025? Because without that then we aren’t getting close to 2023 form.

Who plays the role of Dally M runner up (should have won it) quality playmaker for us in 2025? Because without that then we aren’t getting close to 2023 form.
I think we share that responsibility a bit more than relying on one player. TMM has shown he can create at 7, LM has added a pass to his game and if we can get TT chiming in from the back that would give us a third threat. Keeping them all on the field and injury free for a run of games would be the only issue

I think we share that responsibility a bit more than relying on one player. TMM has shown he can create at 7, LM has added a pass to his game and if we can get TT chiming in from the back that would give us a third threat. Keeping them all on the field and injury free for a run of games would be the only issue
We need another half.
A Tanah Boyd type that can do a job to cover injuries
The brains trust must have one lined up / it’s a really obvious issue

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
We need another half.
A Tanah Boyd type that can do a job to cover injuries
The brains trust must have one lined up / it’s a really obvious issue
Finding one good enough that will come over to play NSW cup is probably the main issue otherwise they play first grade and put TMM in to cup. I haven't seen any 7 available that is creative as TMM though so you probably weaken our side by doing so?

Finding one good enough that will come over to play NSW cup is probably the main issue otherwise they play first grade and put TMM in to cup. I haven't seen any 7 available that is creative as TMM though so you probably weaken our side by doing so?
Just back up player
Tmm will be the main man the number one half
But he will get injured and be out
There’s a few ok half’s avail
But no to Jackson Hastings - guy creates issues whereever he goes

If Penrith win again this year, what challenge has Nathan got left?

Will not beat the Dragons 11 years straight, what odds he ends up at Mt Smart, dream of winning the clubs 1st ever comp which he probably had as a young kid as SJ’s ball boy.

In the words of Bill Murray in Caddyshack, Cinderella Story… Ivan co-coach with Webby or replacing him.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Anyone else think Dan Atkinson could be a potential option? He hasn’t missed a beat for the sharks in the halves and recently as a 14 since Hynes return. Isn’t off contract until next year but has shown he can more than hold is own in first grade
I said same thing 2-3 weeks ago. Went through Storm system before Sharks, had that Drinkwater, Hynes and co. vibe about him. Skilful and tough with a good football brain

Reactions: kos
No comment - I respect your views. I also stand by my views on Isaako, Nikora, and Marshall King.
Amongst the current Warriors I also don't rate Berry at all. While others have him listed as the top centre at our club. So that is one of my weird takes too.
Another of my weird takes is that Harris should be a bench player next year and that his days as a starting player are done. His injury is not the reason for his downturn in energy on the field last year.

And another thing - I said those comments three years ago. You must have a memory like a steel trap. Impressive.
What is your reasons on saying Berry is no good? I think you need to keep remembering to wear your headgear.

Will not beat the Dragons 11 years straight, what odds he ends up at Mt Smart, dream of winning the clubs 1st ever comp which he probably had as a young kid as SJ’s ball boy.

In the words of Bill Murray in Caddyshack, Cinderella Story… Ivan co-coach with Webby or replacing him.
I’ve thought about this as well, Ivan And Nathan both challenging themselves to get a premiership here.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
What is your reasons on saying Berry is no good? I think you need to keep remembering to wear your headgear.
Not no good but we currently have better.

He needs to build up and have a bigger physical presence.

He’s a great defender without dominating in defence and is injury prone. He offers little on attack other than a well timed pass.

Suit sweaters low safety first game plan but 0 X-factor.

Bulked up with more muscles, he would benefit in both sides of the ball.

I must have missed it but what are your views on Isaako, Nikora & Marshall King? All awesome players - Nikora runs one of the great lines, possibly number 1 in the NRL for it… now there’s a second rower I’d pay $800k a season for.

This is wishful thinking sorry man

It wasn’t like SJ was our only threat in 2023 - Tohu was excellent, CNK offered plenty from fullback, others had their best seasons ever. Now we’ve lost our best player from 2024. I think there’s a lot of ground to make up to get even close to 2023.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back