• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 13/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Sifakula (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
On the topic of those shitty lists.. I saw someone say that Niukores salary has been incorrectly calculated over 3 years rather than 4. And that makes so much more sense to me

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ata-niukore-on-fouryear-deal-worth-25-million

Reported 2.5m deal.
Over 4 years = 625k

But one of the numpties has calculated 2.5m over 3 years = 840k
On 11 November, Niukore signed with the New Zealand Warriors on a four-year $2.6 million starting in 2023, until the end of 2026.

Yeah he started at 650k and then the salary cap increased to 12m from 9.6m following his signing so presumably his salary increased to reflect that! Worth it if he can get injury free and back to 2022/23 form. Easily one of the most damaging players on the comp.

This shows that from 2023 the salary cap went up and everyone with clauses in their contract got an 18% pay rise in line with the cap going up.

I remember we signed Addin for about $800k or so and then nek minute he was over a mill, so I think this is what's happened
18% on $650K would make it $767K
18% on $840K would make it $991.2K

More than likely he is on $767K but we usually never know the full details. Not sure we are getting our moneys worth from him. He was good last year but I would have plenty of backrowers ahead of him.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
18% on $650K would make it $767K
18% on $840K would make it $991.2K

More than likely he is on $767K but we usually never know the full details. Not sure we are getting our moneys worth from him. He was good last year but I would have plenty of backrowers ahead of him.
I think his salary recognises that he can offer second row, prop, lock and centre all at a reasonable level. I certainly think this season was a mix of injury and the club putting some kilos on him to play more of a role as a front rower that’s led to an underwhelming season. Liam Martin gets a lot of accolades in being a great bodyguard for his halve that he lines up next to, but I certainly think SJ’s form last year has a lot to do with Niukore at his side

Wayne Bennett sprinkled gold dust on them. They will both revert to being complete shit house as soon as Wayne leaves mark my words.
Well Wrighty cant say i agree with you one iota (they were never shit house before), but stick to your guns mate...its all just opinion,

That said u have some of the weirdest takes on players ive seen......as i recall you also thought Briton Nikora (probably the best hole running backrower in the game) was one of the worst first graders going ......

All 3 are going to be vital members for the Kiwi's this year and into the future, and any of them would be great additions to the Warriors imo.

On 11 November, Niukore signed with the New Zealand Warriors on a four-year $2.6 million starting in 2023, until the end of 2026.

Yeah he started at 650k and then the salary cap increased to 12m from 9.6m following his signing so presumably his salary increased to reflect that! Worth it if he can get injury free and back to 2022/23 form. Easily one of the most damaging players on the comp.
Niukore is definitely not ‘easily one of the most damaging players in the comp’… unless your are referring to his penchant for taking opposition players heads off.

I think his salary recognises that he can offer second row, prop, lock and centre all at a reasonable level. I certainly think this season was a mix of injury and the club putting some kilos on him to play more of a role as a front rower that’s led to an underwhelming season. Liam Martin gets a lot of accolades in being a great bodyguard for his halve that he lines up next to, but I certainly think SJ’s form last year has a lot to do with Niukore at his side
I couldn't see him playing lock under Webster ball TBH. In regards to playing Centre that would nearly be a requirement of all second rowers. Hell we have rookie edge forwards covering Centre. I think Niukore is a good player even though he regressed this year just not a top tier second rower.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I couldn't see him playing lock under Webster ball TBH. In regards to playing Centre that would nearly be a requirement of all second rowers. Hell we have rookie edge forwards covering Centre. I think Niukore is a good player even though he regressed this year just not a top tier second rower.
Perhaps not, but lock is another position that he’s played well in at times at the eels in his time there. Not all second rowers can play centre, especially at an ability to represent their country there as Niukore has done. It’s certainly been a disappointing season for him, and the club in general but I think he’ll get back to his form from last year with the club knowing where he’ll be utilised and settled in his role. That’s not to say I wouldn’t see him make way for Nikora, he’s right up there as far as second rowers go

With all due respect to Tohu, you’d have to assume that given he’s signed a one year extension and advanced age. Surely he’s taken a pay cut.

Also, JFH’s reported salary at Penrith is 900k. Given the Warriors relatively strong negotiating position in regards to him wanting to come home. (It’s a business at the end of the day) surely the Warriors took some advantage. 800k maybe? (All good if not, just saying)

Haha Marata Niukore could very well be the highest paid player at this club. There’s a thought……

Decent halfback being let go by the sharks is Niwhai Puru. Tackle efficiency isn’t the best or worst but was much better when he was at the panthers and would have been there when Webster was. Not a bad strike rate with 24 games this year, 5 tries and 18 try assists. He plays at Newtown, so if there was any truth in the Healey rumours, this guy would be handy already playing in the spine together there. His brother isn’t doing bad at the raiders either

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If we're being fair, Niukore is probably on a little more than what he's worth, but we picked him up when he was looking like he was going to be huge, and we were in a average spot club wise so probably ended up paying about 75-100k more than what he was worth at the time, which then went up more with the salary cap increase.

700k is what I'd probably price him at, but the reality is being in NZ we often have to pay overs to get players here. I'm hoping that changes in the next few years but we need to perform on the pitch for that to happen

If we go into next year with TMM/Metcalf/CHT as our halves, may as well write off the season. We'd need TMM to play at his ceiling all year, and Metcalf to take a huge step up, combined with them miraculously staying fit when they're injury prone.

We can make do everywhere else, but we absolutely must sign a half, even a journeyman. We had those 3 + SJ this year and still had to play non halves in the role.
Gotta call it what it is that’s SJ’s Defence was diabolical this season. TMM is your current best defensive half. You’re not gonna get anywhere without strong defensive halves first and foremost so that will need to be adressed through recruitment. It’s not just recruiting a veteran half but one that can defend at a high level as well.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If we're being fair, Niukore is probably on a little more than what he's worth, but we picked him up when he was looking like he was going to be huge, and we were in a average spot club wise so probably ended up paying about 75-100k more than what he was worth at the time, which then went up more with the salary cap increase.

700k is what I'd probably price him at, but the reality is being in NZ we often have to pay overs to get players here. I'm hoping that changes in the next few years but we need to perform on the pitch for that to happen
That would still price Niukore as a top 10 second rower. He isn’t close to that - he can’t run a line because he’s got feet for hands, missed crucial tackles all season.

Gotta call it what it is that’s SJ’s Defence was diabolical this season. TMM is your current best defensive half. You’re not gonna get anywhere without strong defensive halves first and foremost so that will need to be adressed through recruitment. It’s not just recruiting a veteran half but one that can defend at a high level as well.

If we' going by defense then CHT is a lock in as back up....and we'll be cooked if TMM has a 4-5 week injury. CHT might do the job for 1-2 weeks before reverting to 2021 form as seen this season

Really hope they’ve got their minds made up on our halves going forward because word is Hunt has parted ways with the dragons. I’ve seen TMM’s name tossed around on their forum in recent times and he can be approached for 2026 in a couple of months. Really seems like he settled here with a newborn, but he’s got a family to provide for too

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back