Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, S = Supplementary contract (Formerly, Development), T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 20/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Te Maire Martin, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Dylan Walker, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Demitric Vaimauga (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Do you reckon he plateued, or was a victim of the whole team doing quite poorly at the time?

My only issue with Berry this year was that he had a few poor misses in defence, and I think a few times he didn't wrap the arms up and the opposing player got an offload away and they scored.

To me, it feels like each year he looks like he's going to have a break out year and then he never does haha. Still early days and he's tracking in the right trajectory, but he just never seems to reach that potential that so many see in him.

Nek year maybe?
I thought he had a few really good games this year and is still relatively new to league (a bit like Wrighty Wrighty). I think Ali Leataua has to be one centre. RTS will be forced in the team and it may as well be on the wing for Montoya. DWZ has the other wing. So that just leaves full back and a centre spot to be picked out of TT, CNK, Pompey and Berry. I want TT at fullback at present so it comes down to centre out of the other 3. I think it's pretty similar out of them. All have lightly different strengths and weaknesses. I'd lean towards CNK.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Pay Blocked
Suliasi Vunivalu has been linked with a switch back to rugby league, after the Queensland Reds flyer was left out of Joe Schmidt’s Autumn Nations Series squad.

The big-money signing will also be absent as his Reds teammates travel to Japan for a doubleheader against Saitama Panasonic Wild Knights.

If the former Melbourne Storm star is to return to the 13-player code, where could he land?

Facebook
Twitter
Whatsapp
Reddit
Email
More League
NRL News: Roosters playmaker set to extend, Broncos shake up front office, Eels seal deal for star to leave three years early
2024 NRL Transfer Centre: Panthers lock up centre long-term, Storm skipper extends, Kiwi star inks new deal
Why Laurie Daley's day job means he's no safe bet for Origin return
No half measures as Moses throws down the gauntlet to Cleary in battle for rep jerseys
NRL News: Madge non-committal on star's future, Mal wants fewer club games
LEAGUE
New Parramatta coach Jason Ryles has again brought out the broom with Mika Sivo heading to the Super League, so there could be a fit with the Eels. The addition of Vunivalu could help kickstart Ryles’ rebuild at CommBank Stadium, with Zac Lomax joining the club in 2025 and potentially more tinkering with the backline to be done as Clint Gutherson faces an uncertain future.

Set to re-sign star halfback Sam Walker, Trent Robinson may view Vunivalu as a good option to further bolster his backline for 2025 and beyond after the departures of Joseph Manu and Joseph-Aukoso Suaalii to rugby union. Daniel Tupou and code hopper Mark Nawaqanitawase are options for the wing spots but the latter may be set to play in the centres to cover Suaalii.

Craig Bellamy would no doubt savour a reunion at the Storm but would surely need to facilitate a salary cap reshuffle to fit in the former Melbourne star. Bellamy’s backline is already one of the best in the NRL but if Will Warbrick made a move to the centres and Jack Howarth switched to the forwards, there would be a spot for Vunivalu on the wing.

Kristian Woolf could be keen to make a splash in the market as he prepares for his first season in charge of the Dolphins and of all the potential landing spots, the expansion side have salary space available without needing to tinker with the squad too much.

Suliasi Vunivalu (Photo by Albert Perez/Getty Images)
St George Illawarra would be an intriguing landing spot as Shane Flanagan has intimated he will open the chequebook for the right player, with Bulldogs speedster Josh Addo-Carr another potential target for the Red V.

Canberra are another possibility as Ricky Stuart searches for a Jordan Rapana replacement, as are the Canterbury Bulldogs who will open up a fair chunk of their salary cap if Addo-Carr does depart the club after the off-field incident that overshadowed their finals week one defeat to Manly.

Lacking try-scoring ability, the Knights would surely be interested in the 28-year-old’s talents as another outlet for points to help Kalyn Ponga, who does much of the heavy lifting for Adam O’Brien’s attack.

Other sides looking for strike out wide include New Zealand and North Queensland, who have seen Marcelo Montoya and Valentine Holmes respectively head for the exit door.

I thought he had a few really good games this year and is still relatively new to league (a bit like Wrighty Wrighty). I think Ali Leataua has to be one centre. RTS will be forced in the team and it may as well be on the wing for Montoya. DWZ has the other wing. So that just leaves full back and a centre spot to be picked out of TT, CNK, Pompey and Berry. I want TT at fullback at present so it comes down to centre out of the other 3. I think it's pretty similar out of them. All have lightly different strengths and weaknesses. I'd lean towards CNK.
Would like to see the best Berry at centre.
More upside but needs a great off season and hit the ground running from round 1.
CNK is not a proven centre and is running out of time.
Similarly RTS is not a winger.
Both have been very good in the past but only at FB.

Thats exactly how my logic plays out too.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Would like to see the best Berry at centre.
More upside but needs a great off season and hit the ground running from round 1.
CNK is not a proven centre and is running out of time.
Similarly RTS is not a winger.
Both have been very good in the past but only at FB.
RTS is not a winger
Has proved he is not a centre (so therefore not a 2nd rower)
Is not todays Fullback
SO HE IS NOT NEEDED. Get rid of him and use the money for a real winger

My only problem with Berry is he got taught the art of tackling at the same school as Wayde. Where the emphasis is on using your face & head to tackle.
Please quit that school and enrol at Trevor Gilmiester's School of Hard Knocks and acquire better technique boys.

RTS is not a winger
Has proved he is not a centre (so therefore not a 2nd rower)
Is not todays Fullback
SO HE IS NOT NEEDED. Get rid of him and use the money for a real winger
Pretty much my thoughts.
When he came back from Kick and Clap he was pretty much promised the fullback possie. Bad mistake imo.
Every player no matter their history should be made to earn a fg spot.
Not picking on him but NRL isn't a given for anyone

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
It looked like a tactic to attack Berry on his outside to draw out his grasscutter tackle, which would produce a quicker PTB….
As mentioned above, he needs to strengthen his 1st up contract as safe tackles aren’t rewarded period…..
NRL should be balancing out the tackling by promoting a handicap (4-5sec hold down of 1 on 1 safe tackles) as our club see’s zero benefit from blatant high shots which are constantly ignored…..

Pretty much my thoughts.
When he came back from Kick and Clap he was pretty much promised the fullback possie. Bad mistake imo.
Every player no matter their history should be made to earn a fg spot.
Not picking on him but NRL isn't a given for anyone
I'm a bit puzzled by your comment that RTS was guaranteed the fullback spot - seemed the opposite to me, Webby guaranteed the spot to CNK instead and did everything possible to downplay talk of moving RTS there. He only reluctantly played him there when CNK and TT weren't available. Perhaps you meant to say RTS was guaranteed the centre spot?

In any case, it does seem a bit of a headache regarding what to do with him. His footwork and tackle breaking ability are still elite and it would be a shame not to be able to use that, but in every position it also seems like there is a good argument against playing him there. I think I am down with using him on the wing next year if only because there is no one I would rather play there that he would be blocking.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Berry better than repeat international CNK? The guy who was better in his first game at centre than Berry has been most of his career.. That CNK and Berry?
Yep. Better defender at centre, faster, better passer. Not better at hitting a hole or taking a hit up.
Berry is a better centre with a lot more upside

I'm a bit puzzled by your comment that RTS was guaranteed the fullback spot - seemed the opposite to me, Webby guaranteed the spot to CNK instead and did everything possible to downplay talk of moving RTS there. He only reluctantly played him there when CNK and TT weren't available. Perhaps you meant to say RTS was guaranteed the centre spot?

In any case, it does seem a bit of a headache regarding what to do with him. His footwork and tackle breaking ability are still elite and it would be a shame not to be able to use that, but in every position it also seems like there is a good argument against playing him there. I think I am down with using him on the wing next year if only because there is no one I would rather play there that he would be blocking.
My mistake and I meant centre.
Every player should be made to earn their position.
We had AW saying previously that CNK is our fullback .

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back