• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
In a squad of 30, I would say 14-16 players coming off contract is as "war chest"ey as it gets tbf haha

Barring Taine, Ali, and Te Maire, can't see any of those players being due big pay rises either, that is if they are extended at all
its going to be an interesting couple of seasons ahead. AW has been working largely with the squad he inherited. We are now starting to head in to the period where he is putting together the group of players he wants. From our youth we look like we have some potential stars in the forwards and a couple of outside backs. We look a little short at hooker and probably our weakest area would be our halves at the moment. Be interesting to see not only who we sign but also who he is comfortable with letting go and when.

NZWarriors.com
its going to be an interesting couple of seasons ahead. AW has been working largely with the squad he inherited. We are now starting to head in to the period where he is putting together the group of players he wants. From our youth we look like we have some potential stars in the forwards and a couple of outside backs. We look a little short at hooker and probably our weakest area would be our halves at the moment. Be interesting to see not only who we sign but also who he is comfortable with letting go and when.
Don’t mind the look of the hookers in nsw cup Tafua and Auloa. Still reckon Roache is a dummy half too

Funny one with our hookers- we always seem to have these boom juniors who get talked up a treat but never arrive.
Maybe need to look at the type of athletes we are trying to develop in that position.

Our nuggety hookers always seem to turn out as locks - Havili, Clarke, Otukolo playing some time there in lower grades.

Tafua looks a more traditional hooker's build

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Funny one with our hookers- we always seem to have these boom juniors who get talked up a treat but never arrive.
Maybe need to look at the type of athletes we are trying to develop in that position.

Our nuggety hookers always seem to turn out as locks - Havili, Clarke, Otukolo playing some time there in lower grades.

Tafua looks a more traditional hooker's build

Yeah this why I wasn't as high on Fukafuka as others here were. Classic old school Warriors junior type, power athlete with barnstorming highlight reel from big 1st XV pedigree.

Was ahead of Tafua even though Tafua was always the best hooker at every rep tournament for his age group.

Problem with these gun rugby players in the playmaking positions is even though the core skill set doesn't look too disimilar for say a union half v league hooker, they're worlds different.

I still think Fukafuka can be something good, he's certainly skilled and strong, but I think it'll probably be more in that hybrid Havili, Clark, Cheese mode.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Yeah this why I wasn't as high on Fukafuka as others here were. Classic old school Warriors junior type, power athlete with barnstorming highlight reel from big 1st XV pedigree.

Was ahead of Tafua even though Tafua was always the best hooker at every rep tournament for his age group.

Problem with these gun rugby players in the playmaking positions is even though the core skill set doesn't look too disimilar for say a union half v league hooker, they're worlds different.

I still think Fukafuka can be something good, he's certainly skilled and strong, but I think it'll probably be more in that hybrid Havili, Clark, Cheese mode.
Tbf Fukafuka has a gun kicking game which sets him apart from Tafua and Auloa. But I dont know what it is, maybe he's just a poor trainer like Otukolo was.

I think they're starting to do that. For example, its pretty devastating to lose Kaawyn Patterson to the Bulldogs. Dominant at hooker in Harold Matts. But the kid is tiny. Maybe like 5'7, if that? Looks considerably smaller than Auloa when standing next to each other at the awards night. How much chance does he have of becoming a quality first grader at that size unless he has a late growth spurt. Similar issues for Paul Roache.

Maybe they've put their eggs in the Tafua and Auloa basket.

Tafua looks like the one that could make the transition easiest. Big for a hooker, strong on defense, Brandon Smith like try scoring ability and good passing service.

He doesn't have the speed off the mark that Patterson has, but still probably a safer bet.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
It’s been plain to see that Robinson is willing to make big calls and go after the best. Hughes falls into that echelon. To me, he or Dylan Brown are the best out there that fit the Warriors
Hughes and Brown is a premiership winning halves pair, I'd shed a few players to get them including SJ, Metcalf, TMM as he likely wouldn't stay to play backup half. Keep CHT as 14. Won't happen but doubt we're a genuine title threat in the near future without the best halves in the comp.

Hughes and Brown is a premiership winning halves pair, I'd shed a few players to get them including SJ, Metcalf, TMM as he likely wouldn't stay to play backup half. Keep CHT as 14. Won't happen but doubt we're a genuine title threat in the near future without the best halves in the comp.
Expensive pairing but storm are doing it with Munster and Papenhuyzen out the back. Still hopeful that Webster can figure out a way to make it work between SJ and TMM when he returns. Still hard to say why SJ hasn’t taken the offer on the table for him?

Expensive pairing but storm are doing it with Munster and Papenhuyzen out the back. Still hopeful that Webster can figure out a way to make it work between SJ and TMM when he returns. Still hard to say why SJ hasn’t taken the offer on the table for him?
With SJ, Tohu, TMM and Meltcalf off the books that's a cool $2 mill and change for our new premiership halves. Can you really see Te Maire and Shaun winning us a comp? I have my doubts now.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back