• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
I like Taine, And I like what he offers. Some of those tries that were scored he was brushed aside like lint off a sweater. I'd prefer Rts after a full pre season and his obvious superior defence. He would of at least stopped one of them.
If we have to rely on our fb to be a playmaker then our halves are simply not good enough. Egan has the ability to ball play & kick. We don't need 4 chefs in the kitchen spoiling the broth.

Charnze played better at centre in one game than Rts did in several games.
I'd keep him there over Roger.
Taine would make a wonderful utility off the bench. Taine can cover FB , Halves & Hooker(Full off season learning the basics)
Halasima/Eddie Ieremia-Toeava can cover backrow, centre.
We have enough quality at centre to be competitive with most teams. Pompey , Berry, Leiataua, Charnze, Taufa Graham. If we recruit a fast winger with some footy Iq next season then our stocks look a little better. Montoya & Kosi can be moved on for mine. Dwz also. Altho, We don't have the stock now to cover for him. Pasikala is a smokey.

I have faith in our young stocks for next year. Sifakula, Halasima, Laban , Pasikala are some of the best juniors I've seen come through our system in years.
We have enough experience in JFH, Barney, Capewell(Whom improved rapidly over the last few months) , Egan, Nuikore to be able to incorporate more youngster that have had a taste of first grade already.

My only concern is halfback, Wing/s & one more nrl hardened prop.
Metcalf with SJ one more season and a full season at that. Would of been my preference. We hardly got to see them as a a halves pairing this year. I would love SJ to change his mind. Otherwise, I'm not sold on any of the halves available now.

Someone like a Royce Hunt would he handy for his impact & experience. Xavier Willison would be a dream signing. I don't see the Broncos letting him go.
Wing ? Is there anyone available in the NRL right now ?
Does recruitment even look at Rugby players in NZ? Where we are rich with talent ? Not all of them can make the ABs.

I like Taine, And I like what he offers. Some of those tries that were scored he was brushed aside like lint off a sweater. I'd prefer Rts after a full pre season and his obvious superior defence. He would of at least stopped one of them.
If we have to rely on our fb to be a playmaker then our halves are simply not good enough. Egan has the ability to ball play & kick. We don't need 4 chefs in the kitchen spoiling the broth.

Charnze played better at centre in one game than Rts did in several games.
I'd keep him there over Roger.
Taine would make a wonderful utility off the bench. Taine can cover FB , Halves & Hooker(Full off season learning the basics)
Halasima/Eddie Ieremia-Toeava can cover backrow, centre.
We have enough quality at centre to be competitive with most teams. Pompey , Berry, Leiataua, Charnze, Taufa Graham. If we recruit a fast winger with some footy Iq next season then our stocks look a little better. Montoya & Kosi can be moved on for mine. Dwz also. Altho, We don't have the stock now to cover for him. Pasikala is a smokey.

I have faith in our young stocks for next year. Sifakula, Halasima, Laban , Pasikala are some of the best juniors I've seen come through our system in years.
We have enough experience in JFH, Barney, Capewell(Whom improved rapidly over the last few months) , Egan, Nuikore to be able to incorporate more youngster that have had a taste of first grade already.

My only concern is halfback, Wing/s & one more nrl hardened prop.
Metcalf with SJ one more season and a full season at that. Would of been my preference. We hardly got to see them as a a halves pairing this year. I would love SJ to change his mind. Otherwise, I'm not sold on any of the halves available now.

Someone like a Royce Hunt would he handy for his impact & experience. Xavier Willison would be a dream signing. I don't see the Broncos letting him go.
Wing ? Is there anyone available in the NRL right now ?
Does recruitment even look at Rugby players in NZ? Where we are rich with talent ? Not all of them can make the ABs.
Great post
I prefer TT over RTS for goal kicking. We need a great goal kicker given how tight each match is.

Not yet we haven't, Titans play the Knights tomorrow night and a win would lift them back above us. If they followed that up with another win next week we would finish 14th.
Now we have with Titans losing. We have finished 13th. Unlucky for some and infamously the number of people at the last supper.
Our finish of 13th is ever so slightly better than 14th - our 25 points will be respectable and enough to recruit people and we will be more attractive than Le Tigers.
We have also finished on a good note rather than the wheels falling off.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
After listening to the post match, it’s extremely clear that SJ will be involved in a coaching role with the club.

Likely as a halves/spine coach & likely as soon as this off season. He’s also expressed interest in setting up a system or academy of sorts coaching up and coming halves.

He’d be a huge asset to our club moving forward. Hope he stays on board in some capacity.

Setting up an academy would be huge for young up and coming halves. Might also help with recruitment.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
My pecking order for 6 is
Metcalf
Charnz
CHT

For 7 it’s
TMM
CHT
Metcalf
Hansen

Wouldn’t it look more reassuring if it’s
TMM
Volkman
CHT
Metcalf

We paid for his surgery and things have changed, our young boys aren’t ready for a few years so pay him to be the No.2 halfback 5-10 games a season, play well to extend for long term or attract promotional offers at other clubs if Cleary etc come through…

And Sam Walker just busted his ACL again…TMM would attract instant offers if we don’t resign him, and if he did for others what did for us we’d be talking about signing him lol, people like what they don’t have, unless we can sign an elite half I’d be happy with TMM and Volkman as back up with the pack we now have, unless they can find like a 2011 style Maloney from NSW cup lol

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I’m sure there was a post here a few years ago asking posters if they’d played RL, surprisingly many had not.
I had a Friday off work recently - so went for a long walk which went past a couple of Schools. Kids were playing sports on the fields. All the white and Asian kids were playing Soccer. all the Polynesian kids were playing Rugby League. Soccer should be banned from schools! It creates sockcocks

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

Marcelo Montoya and Jack Bird join Benji Marshall at Wests Tigers | NRL Market Watch | Daily Telegraph​

Warriors winger Marcelo Montoya is the latest name to be linked to the Tigers as the club continues to revamp its roster following a third straight wooden spoon.
It is understood that the Tigers have spoken with Montoya about a possible switch to the club as early as next season. This comes despite Montoya still having a year left on his contract with the Warriors.

The Warriors have given Montoya permission to test the market before the November 1 trade window opens as their backline has a stack of depth.

The Tigers are desperately trying to bolster their own backline stocks despite already adding Sunia Turuva (Panthers) and Jeral Skelton (Bulldogs) from next season.

Montoya, 28, has been one of New Zealand’s most consistent performers since joining the club from Canterbury in 2021.

Which-club-wins-most-from-Montoya-move_WHPhW6ScF.jpg

Which club wins most from Montoya move?​

The Fijian international is in talks over a multi-year contract. Fresh from finishing another underwhelming season, the Tigers are in the midst of overhauling their roster.

They have added Royce Hunt (Sharks) and Jack Bird (Dragons) in recent days having secured superstar Jarome Luai (Penrith) even before a ball was kicked.

They remain locked in talks with Canberra firebrand Corey Horsburgh who had hoped to have a decision made by last Friday remains on the radar of the Tigers. Those talks are expected to reach a conclusion by the end of next week.

They are also interested in Brisbane’s Kobe Hetherington who has been given his own permission to speak with rival clubs.

The Tigers farewelled a host of players on Friday night with Junior Tupou (Dolphins), Isaiah Papali’i (Panthers) and Stefano Utoikamanu (Melbourne) playing their last game for the club.

The future of veteran forward John Bateman remains unclear after he was granted permission to quit the club mid-season to join Sam Burgess in Warrington.

Bateman remains contracted at the Tigers until the end of 2026 but is unlikely to return to the club.

BIRD AGREES TO TERMS WITH TIGERS

Jack Bird will become the latest player to join the Wests Tigers after agreeing to a two-year contract.

Bird has played his last game for the Dragons after injury ruled him out of their clash against the Raiders on Saturday.

Bird becomes the Tigers’ second big signing this week after they landed Royce Hunt.

Jack Bird is leaving the Dragons to join the Wests Tigers. Picture: Getty Images

Jack Bird is leaving the Dragons to join the Wests Tigers. Picture: Getty Images
Bird is viewed as a perfect utility for the Tigers and despite wanting a longer-term deal will join the Tigers for the next two years.

He had originally taken up an option to remain at the Dragons next season but was granted permission to test the market and the Dragons won’t stand in Bird’s way.

Why are the tigers so bad at recruitment

Truth Bomb #1) Cory Horsborough is out of form in 2024 and while he is only 27 next year Father time is impacting his motivation. He did not even look like a journeyman this season.
Truth Bomb #2) Jack Bird best days are behind him as well and he turns 30 in March
Truth Bomb #3) Marcelo is a good depth signing. But do you really want him as a depth player. Don't you have youth coming through.

The best player of the bunch all things considered is Marcelo and he is not going to carve up. Why are the tigers spinning their wheels on these three deals. Their whole problem the last 5 years has been recruitment.

Why are the tigers so bad at recruitment

Truth Bomb #1) Cory Horsborough is out of form in 2024 and while he is only 27 next year Father time is impacting his motivation. He did not even look like a journeyman this season.
Truth Bomb #2) Jack Bird best days are behind him as well and he turns 30 in March
Truth Bomb #3) Marcelo is a good depth signing. But do you really want him as a depth player. Don't you have youth coming through.

The best player of the bunch all things considered is Marcelo and he is not going to carve up. Why are the tigers spinning their wheels on these three deals. Their whole problem the last 5 years has been recruitment.
Reason
D e s p e r a t I o n

Reason
D e s p e r a t I o n
For their sake I hope they go after Hethrington. That is exactly who they need and had we not signed Erin Clark I would have been a big fan of Hethrington coming here as a bench middle. Both he and Clark are similar in effectiveness.

Their fans don't want to give Kobe the $500-$600K pay day Kobe is reputed to be asking for. That is the problem when you are the spoon team you can only get guys on overs. Suck it up and pay Kobe will be worth it.
Their forum wants Marcelo as they think he can cart it out of his own end better than their wingers can.
Well I hope they appreciate Marcello as much as we did. He turned out to be a fantastic value for money player for us.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back