• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I'm kind of over, us signing ex club players past their prime being recruited. They're brought in to save the day, but honestly 9 out of 10 times it just doesn't work.

Unfortunately we ain't got the 1st grade ready depth yet.. Would like to see the lower grades win regular season comps and GFs. At least then those players have a winning culture, established combos and an ability to rise to finals intensity.
(New Development Programme that's put in place)

IMO this type of development would make transition into 1st grade a smaller rather than a bigger step up.

He was on pretty decent money for what he was putting out (for us). I'd say he was like Ice Papali'i where he needed the change in environment to truly thrive. Under Webby he may have been a bit more successful
Substitute "change of enviroment" for coach. Brown was an idiot. An attacking wide running backrower with size, speed and footwork who was playing big minutes when he first came to grade and scoring tries running off (of all people) Kodi regulary.....Brown shifts him to the opposite side and reduces his time to basically a 10 minute stint it seemed.....nuts.

Choice between Brown and Bellamy (when he comes calling).....i know which one im taking.....but yeah i think he wouldve prospered under Webby's (last years) structure as well.

Hurts to watch Storm games now,

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Nope. He’s contracted until like 2029, but has a player option for every single year, meaning he can leave whenever he wants.
Starting to think we might need someone like Gus Gould back or even a change or two in the coaching panel. Gus only left because of the Covert travel restrictions and look what he has done at the Bulldogs. Pretty sure he had something to do with getting our teams into the feeder system like Jersey Fleg and NSW Cup. As crap as our season has turned out to be we still have a loyal following, we do need some help mentoring or coaching wise to turn it around for next year.

Nope. He’s contracted until like 2029, but has a player option for every single year, meaning he can leave whenever he wants.
Thats not correct. He is contracted till end of 25. He can leave, at end of 25 or take his 2 year player option. If he does take that player option that takes him to end of 2027. He can leave then or take his player option that takes him to end of 2031.

Its a 2 year player option at end of 2025 and then a 4 year player option at end of 2027.

Tldr; its not a player option at end of every year that is often misquoted.

I'll be sad to see him leave. Hopefully someone does him a bitchin' haka to farewell him. RTS I'm looking at you after that amazing one Jazz did for your Daly M!

I'm sure it won't be a huge issue, but it looks like we'll be losing a few of the boys with that OG Warriors vibe - SJ soon, Jazz and Dallin can't be far behind, I'm hoping that we have a few more of those boys coming through who personify what being a Warrior is all about
I look back on that Dally M award for best bench player of the year. Such a humble guy - couldn't believe he won it, stood up, sat down, leaned back on to Bully's shoulder in embarrassment before the latter told him that the award was his. I will always have fond memories of his resilience, toughness and wholehearted efforts for the team. Jazz you will be sadly missed. Hopefully, one day, the Warriors will recognize your contribution to the club and offer you a role within the coaching structure as guys like you are difficult to find.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

NRL salvage missions: Which 2024 cellar dweller can bounce back in 2025?​

Phil Rothfield and Michael Carayannis
6f175d83ac54b95bfb6da65b2e941805

It’s taken eight years but the Bulldogs are finally on the path back to the finals.
In a remarkable turnaround from bottom four to finals-bound in just 12 months, the Canterbury rebuild under Phil Gould and Cameron Ciraldo is paying dividends.

But what of this year’s cellar dwellers?

The New Zealand Warriors have gone from bottom four in 2022, to top four last year and back down this season.

Parramatta and South Sydney have endured almost identical slides from beaten grand finalists to the bottom of the ladder, jettisoning their respective head coaches along the way.

And the Wests Tigers will have their fourth consecutive bottom-four finish as they close in on a wooden spoon threepeat.

PHIL ‘BUZZ’ ROTHFIELD and MICHAEL CARAYANNIS analyse which of the NRL’s disappointments are best placed for a resurgence in 2025.

Wests Tigers (17th)​

2025 gains: Jarome Luai (Panthers), Sunia Turuva (Panthers), Jeral Skelton (Bulldogs)
2025 losses: Stefano Utoikamanu (Storm), Isaiah Papali’i (Panthers), Junior Tupou (Dolphins)
Finish the past five years
2023:
Last
2022: Last
2021: 13th
2020: 11th
2019: 9th
MC: The positive for the Tigers is that they’ve got their spine – one, six, seven, nine – locked in. And when you’re a struggling club, that’s usually a concern. So I think that’s the upside when you look at the Tigers.

Jahream Bula’s locked in at fullback. Lachlan Galvin, hopefully. He’s contracted for next year.

Jarome Luai is locked in long term. Apisai Koroisau, and then you’ve got Tallyn Da Silva waiting in the wings.

So the benefit for the Tigers is that most clubs that are struggling in the bottom four are trying to find that. So that’s the tick, right.

Samuela Fainu has been really good. I’ve really enjoyed him this year. Fonua Pole, he could potentially go to free agency on November 1, so they’ve got to try and get him locked in because he’s part of the long-term plans of that club.

But then, the roster starts to fall away after that.

Buzz: Seriously, and I understand everything you said about that spine, it’s a great spine, but look at Penrith. Rugby league clubs in this era in a big, strong, fast aerobic front-rowers. They do not have one to save themselves. And it’s going to come back to impact their momentum. Stefano Utoikamanu is a huge loss.

Shane Richardson is sitting there with a $2 million cheque book buying wingers.

I like his patience. I spoke to him earlier in the week and he’s not going to make the mistake of the previous Wests Tigers management, rushing out and buying someone and overpay him. But they need Reagan Campbell-Gillard more than St George Illawarra do. Their front row is so limited.

MC: I can’t I can’t disagree with you, there’s a lot of holes in that roster. But the upside is that they’ve got the players in the hardest position to fill – and the most important positions – they’ve got them locked in.

MC: Don’t forget the John Bateman situation. It’s still unresolved. How they let Isaiah Papali’i go, I don’t understand. I know he hasn’t been great, but you look at the side that he signed for, Penrith, he’s just proves that there’s potential.

I think that is going to be one that the Tigers regret, because Papali’i was not on stupid money, he’s an elite back rower who just has struggled. But then if he’s in that Wests Tigers side with that spine and he’s feeding off one of those guys a bit more, I think it would have been a great combination.

Parramatta Eels (16th)​

2025 gains: Zac Lomax (Dragons)
2025 losses: Ethan Sanders (Raiders), Blaize Talagi (Panthers)
2023:
10th
2022: 4th (runners-up)
2021: 6th (eliminated in second week of finals)
2020: 3rd (eliminated in second week of finals)
2019: 5th (eliminated in second week of finals)
MC: There’s still a lot of uncertainty there. Look at that roster, they’re unable to sell Ryan Matterson, Maika Sivo is still on the chopping block, Shaun Lane, now it’s Reagan Campbell-Gillard right. So I think there’s a lot to happen. And there’s obviously been some innuendo that the club has shot down regarding Mitchell Moises’ future.

I do think the roster needs a generational shift. And I think that’s what, Jason Ryles is trying to do. But if there’s no buyers, then you’re stuck with players who know they are not exactly wanted, but they don’t have a better option so the stay.

I’m concerned about the Eels’ roster for next season. ‘

Buzz: I have a lot of faith in Ryles.

Charlie Guymer’s a very good young player. He might be ready for 26 NRL games next year. J’Maine Hopgood will be back from injury, too. You add those guys to this pack and it immediately looks better.

They’ll miss Penrith-bound Blaize Talagi. I don’t know where they go with recruitment, how much money do they have since signing Zac Lomax and retaining Bailey Simonsson this week, and who is available?

MC: They’ve got no money until they can offload a current player. They’ll have a little bit of the money they offered Talagi, but they need to move players before they can buy.

Otherwise, Jason Ryles is going to have to get the best out of the existing players he’s got there. Don’t be mistaken, there’s still some talent there. Ryan Matterson played Origin in 2022. Shaun Lane was one of the most dynamic back-rowers in the game two seasons ago. So there is talent in that roster.

Buzz: Eels CEO Jim Sarantinos sent me an interesting text recently, not making excuses, but to put their season into context – Mitchell Moses has missed 15 games, Bailey Simonsson 14 games, J’Maine Hopgood 13 games, Maika Sivo 11 games, Junior Paul nine games, Kelma Tuilagi seven games – they have been knocked about.

MC: The Tigers and Eels have the most potential, if we’re talking about this in a month’s time, to be in completely different situations. The Eels in terms of selling and what they can buy, and the Tigers in adding to that roster.

South Sydney Rabbitohs (15th)​

2025 gains: Euan Aitken (Dolphins), Lewis Dodd (St Helens), Jamie Humphreys (Sea Eagles)
2025 losses: Thomas Burgess (Huddersfield), Damien Cook (Dragons)
2023:
9th
2022: 7th (eliminated in third week of finals)
2021: 3rd (runners-up)
2020: 6th (eliminated in third week of finals)
2019: 3rd (eliminated in third week of finals)
MC: There’s so much pressure on incoming English halfback Lewis Dodd next year.

Buzz: What money is he on next year, Mick?

MC: $700-750,000. Big, big money.

Buzz: Wayne Bennett is the best recruit ever for them.

MC: They’re an enigma, South Sydney. But there are the foundations there of a good side.

Buzz: You sound like a broken record. Prop Tom Burgess is going, where are their mids?

MC: Davvy Moale, Keaon Koloamatangi has done a really good job in the middle. Does that become his permanent position?

Buzz: They’re not really the “off-the-back-fence”-style forwards though, are they?

MC: Then you have Cameron Murray playing at lock when Jai Arrow is back. He’s been playing busted since Round 1.

Buzz: They’re not hard-nosed, grumpy, angry middles.

MC: Yeah, they’re representative players though.

Buzz: Look at look at their neighbours, the Roosters, with Lindsay Collins, Victor Radley and Spencer Leniu, that’s not including the departing Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Souths don’t have an enforcer. Although, Wayne seems to manage front-rowers better than anyone. He seems to be able to get more out of them.

MC: It’s still a decent roster next year. Lewis Dodd. How does he work out? That’s a huge question. Because if he does, then Jack Wighton goes back to the centres and you have him and Campbell Graham on either side, and he hasn’t played all year, and that becomes a dual threat. You have Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker.

MC: So it’s still a pretty high-calibre side. And of those bottom-four sides, they’re better placed to push for the top eight next year.

Warriors (14th)​

2025 gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Shaun Johnson (retirement), Jazz Tevaga (released)
2023:
4th (eliminated in preliminary final)
2022: 15th
2021: 12th
2020: 10th
2019: 12th
MC: I have concerns around the Warriors.

I’m not sold on the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck experiment at centre. I know Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is a really good player, but I’d be trying to flip that and have Charnze at centre and seeing if that works better with Roger back a fullback.

The loss of Luke Metcalf to injury has been a huge blow for them. As Buzz always says, he’s got what you can’t teach – speed. So he’ll take a leading role next year with Shaun Johnson retiring.

Buzz: He can play too, Metcalf, it’s not just his speed.

MC: Their forward pack is still elite even with Addin Fonua-Blake gone. James Fisher-Harris comes in. Tohu Harris looks a little bit banged up. So there’s concerns about him next year. Dylan Walker’s done an awesome job playing that No.14 role or playing lock, like he is at the moment. So, there’s more of a solid nucleus than Parramatta and the Wests Tigers.

Buzz: Apart from Fisher Harris, which is a huge signing, but it really just cancels out losing Fonua-Blake, so I don’t see a lot of improvement outside of a fit Metcalf.

MC: No, not externally. The improvement has to come internally. They’ll have some money with Shaun Johnson retiring. What they do, if they go to the market, and what they look for, will be interesting. But I think the forward pack is still pretty elite.

THE VERDICT​

Who’s better placed to climb out of the bottom four?

PHIL ROTHFIELD

1 Rabbitohs

2 Eels

3 Warriors

4 Tigers

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS

1 Rabbitohs

2 Warriors

3 Eels

4 Tigers

Who’s better placed to climb out of the bottom four in 2025?​

Thats not correct. He is contracted till end of 25. He can leave, at end of 25 or take his 2 year player option. If he does take that player option that takes him to end of 2027. He can leave then or take his player option that takes him to end of 2031.

Its a 2 year player option at end of 2025 and then a 4 year player option at end of 2027.

Tldr; its not a player option at end of every year that is often misquoted.
Really? Because it says he has a player option at the end of each year online

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
There are just so many issues with AFB leaving at the end of the year. He’s a gun, attitude seemingly a bit meh sometimes. But you really can’t fault his output over the last couple of seasons.

I’ve stated in previous posts, JFH is not like AFB. Not at all. There’s certainly a case that JFH is a better player over all. But there’s definitely a case that JFH benefits from a superior system.

When people suggest “he’ll sort out the dressing room”. What does that actually mean? Really?
JFH’s stats are certainly good, Ivan Cleary heavily fluctuates his minutes though. Anywhere between 45-70 mins.
AFB barely ever goes below 60 minutes. Webby almost runs him ragged. And they’re losing, no wonder he’s pissed.

Will Webby consistently use JFH like that?
How does this affect the bench?
Do we have to go back to a proper 4 prop rotation?
Can we consistently rely on the young guys?
So many questions…….

Of all the players in the NRL, JFH is certainly a good replacement for AFB. I guess after the RTS and Capewell (who’s actually playing ok now) signings. I guess my confidence has taken a hit that maybe he might not be the “right” signing.

None the less, I am still extremely happy we’ve signed JFH.

Great post. Especially the point about where he’s coming from. Many a man have come from a great team and culture only to fall in line with the low standards that is the Warriors.

I wish JFH all the best. Agree he can’t be doing long minutes week in week out. He will burn out.

Top 5 Burnout candidates
Ford. Gone.
Harris. Gone.
SJ. Gone.
Egan. Gone.
Capewell. Half busted.

It’s testament to AFB’s work ethic that he’s not slacked off with “injuries” maintaining his high standards on the field and off it. What role model qualities will JFH bring that AFB didn’t have ??….. AFB might be pulling lip now, who’s to say JFH won’t do the same when we start losing????

And let’s not forget Barnett and what he already brings to the table

Dylan on Cleary money? Umm, Nope. Weekes isn't sure what he is yet. He's being shuffled around the backline. So you'd have both of them as your halves combo? A running 6 with a running 6? That's not going to work , Brown isn't a 7.
Hoping Metcalf can develop some sort of game management. Take some notes from Hughes and Munster. It would take big money to get him over here. Youth is still on his side.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back