Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 27/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
We ideally want guys like Kalani Going and Setu Tu to stay in NSW cup and be the guidance for the young guys coming through.

It won't be a lucrative job for them, so you throw them a bone every now and then.. Tu upgrade to top 30 for a few months, Going Rd 27 NRL debut last year. Let's them know they're valuable and respected.

Also let's the young guys (Pasikala and Kali) know what the yardstick is. You outperform Tu on the field and in training/preparation and a top 30 spot is yours.

Went and had a look how his tackle efficiency stacks up against our first grade wingers. Tu tackles at 81%, though in a lower grade in nsw cup. DWZ tackles at 80% but shocked to see Montoya tackles at 66%
What is Pompey's tackle efficiency? Montoya's might be effected accordingly ie you are only as good as the player inside you.

Someone before mentioned Cleary chose to send his son to Webby which says a lot about Webby, though just realized didn't Cleary and Gus have a bad history? Makes sense for him not to send Jett their way I guess?
Bulldogs have the current NSW U19 Halfback. Obviously Ivan trusts & rates Webby but Jett probably sees an easier path to first grade at the Warriors then most other clubs

His background is on the wing, he's transitioned to centre in the last year or two.

So can play both

And perhaps they don't want to interfere with that transition. Or they transitioned him because they don't see him as a winger in first grade. Don't know, could be several reasons I guess.

I think Tu is more of a "got to fill that lost spot, break glass encase of emergency" kind of upgrade. IMO it doesn't have anything to do with MGT.

Length of Montoya injury and where he is in the order with Kosi will be more telling in regards to our squad going forward.

I think Tu is more of a "got to fill that lost spot, break glass encase of emergency" kind of upgrade. IMO it doesn't have anything to do with MGT.
The thing though is that Tu can be picked in the event of an injury regardless of contract status & is match fit. Maybe Webster thinks there's more to squeeze out of him if he's a fulltimer.
You've got to have 30 guys on the books & just before the cut off last season they upgraded Zyon Maiu’u & Leiataua from their development deals which made sense as they were destined to play NRL this season. Tu being upgraded is odd because MGT, Sio Kali & Pasikala are more likely to play NRL in 2025 & beyond, at least from an outsider looking in

Last edited:
Another one of Webby's mysterious selections of 2024
Aside from DWZ and Montoya with Kosi as a backup, our wingers in nsw cup are quite young in Pasikala and Kali so they might not be keen to debut them? Kosi too could have slipped down the order? Tu has filled in at fullback at times in nsw cup so they could see some benefit that he can fill centre, wing and fullback with injuries to fullback and winger. If Tuaupiki is fullback and he gets injured, you’d need to take RTS from his position if he stays at centre or goes to wing or DWZ off his wing to fill fullback

Aside from DWZ and Montoya with Kosi as a backup, our wingers in nsw cup are quite young in Pasikala and Kali so they might not be keen to debut them? Kosi too could have slipped down the order? Tu has filled in at fullback at times in nsw cup so they could see some benefit that he can fill centre, wing and fullback with injuries to fullback and winger. If Tuaupiki is fullback and he gets injured, you’d need to take RTS from his position if he stays at centre or goes to wing or DWZ off his wing to fill fullback

Think they should just have RTS/DWZ as wings and Monty back up for next year, then the junior wingers should turn 20 y/o or older and be ready to take over in 2026

CNK should move to the centres for Taine and we have 3 young centres rotating for the other spot, and Pompey unlucky to be backup again

Don't know how plausible is it for Pompey to bulk up to be 2nd row depth, Sharks did it with Talakai and we did with for Eitkins

Think they should just have RTS/DWZ as wings and Monty back up for next year, then the junior wingers should turn 20 y/o or older and be ready to take over in 2026

CNK should move to the centres for Taine and we have 3 young centres rotating for the other spot, and Pompey unlucky to be backup again

Don't know how plausible is it for Pompey to bulk up to be 2nd row depth, Sharks did it with Talakai and we did with for Eitkins
That could be what they’ve got planned for next year? My thinking from the post you replied to was where our injuries lie and Tu only promoted for the remainder of this season alone

That could be what they’ve got planned for next year? My thinking from the post you replied to was where our injuries lie and Tu only promoted for the remainder of this season alone

Maybe Berry is recovering ok so RTS to the wing and Tu is to cover Monty for the remainder of the season, if he can play FB makes you think if Taine is locked in for 4-6 games due to CNK's calf injury and Tu could be on the wing and as an in game FB cover if Taine's also injured and Roger starts at FB.

Weird rant but you get my point lol

Maybe Berry is recovering ok so RTS to the wing and Tu is to cover Monty for the remainder of the season, if he can play FB makes you think if Taine is locked in for 4-6 games due to CNK's calf injury and Tu could be on the wing and as an in game FB cover if Taine's also injured and Roger starts at FB.

Weird rant but you get my point lol

I wonder if Webby has any thoughts of putting Roger back there now CNK is injured.

I feel Webby kinda backed himself into a corner with the whole Roger won't replace CNK deal, but now CNK is injured and it's essentially make or break time, he could be tempted to put Roger back to FB with Pompey, Ali and Rocco having the 2 centre spots over the next month.

Im happy either way, it looks like we'll either see Tuaupiki at the back or Ali in the centres. Or both potentially haha. I'm really curious to see the TMM, CHT and Tauapiki spine combo with a little bit of X factor off the bench in Halasima helping to give them a bit of extra room to move

The thing though is that Tu can be picked in the event of an injury regardless of contract status & is match fit. Maybe Webster thinks there's more to squeeze out of him if he's a fulltimer.
You've got to have 30 guys on the books & just before the cut off last season they upgraded Zyon Maiu’u & Leiataua from their development deals which made sense as they were destined to play NRL this season. Tu being upgraded is odd because MGT, Sio Kali & Pasikala are more likely to play NRL in 2025 & beyond, at least from an outsider looking in

Kali and Pasikala need another off season at least.

I would guess that Tu's experience, even though not in first grade, is more valuable in the tight run home than taking a chance on a youngster. Or maybe MGT isn't currently as highly rated within the team as he is on here. Or it has nothing to do with MGT at all. *Shrugs* TBH it could be just about anything.

I thought the top 30 was based on the 30 highest paid players in the club rather than the 30 best players. It just happens that in most cases your 30 best are you highest paid.

If it’s just filling a gap at the end of a season and the guys been here a long time he might just be on slightly more than the younger guys where there’s a whole group all paid very similar.

It might be better to not increase anyone’s pay and let a senior NSW player fill a spot rather than create distortions and pick winners from a group of minimum wage players.

In summary, filling the last roster spot may be a pay administrative thing rather than any indication of talent.
I am sorry to admit, as I am new to league, that I have no idea of really what the top 30 is or what it proves if you are on it. I used to think you can only pick players for first grade from your top 30 list but that isn't true. Then i used to think that the salary cap applies to the top 30 and this makes sense and I think it is correct, but what sort of salary cap is it if you are paying a whole bunch of other blokes in NSW cup and you are allowed to pick them for first grade even though they are outside the thirty.
Is anyone else confused by the whole thing or is it just Wrighty?

Back