28Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Leka Halasima
D4Patrick MoimoiD
D5Tanner Stowers-SmithD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Did we look slow against the Panthers, Dolphins and Cowboys?

SJ with his more prolific occurrence of injuries and a reluctance to engage the line currently isn't worth the $700k money, especially since it looks like, regardless of form of the team or him, he will be selected as first choice half

Definately a changing of the guard to some degree one thinks.
SJ for TMM
Tohu for Walker/Barnett
I'd like to think our other more senior players have another year or two in them , like your capewells, walkers and SJ.
Tohu is the most concerning imo. From 80minute lock to 25 minute bench forward + captain? Wtf?
He's slowed down a lot , still gets through a tonne of work but he's not very electric.

View attachment 8147
Good things come to those that wait

1720063163436.jpeg

Yeo just does his job so well and appears to be doing nothing flash, which is why he's so good. His ability to play first receiver and pick extremely well timed passes in either direction to either of his halves is essentially unmatched - outside of someone like Cam Murray. And when he doesn't take that pass, he is capable of very strong hit-ups through the middle, which basically makes him a perfect middle forward. Tohu has produced similar for us, great ball playing ability for a big man and was effective rumbling up the guts too. This year his energy and effectiveness has fallen off a cliff though, and he has well and truly fallen away from the level he was at.

Walker is doing it better at present and I think it was TMM who basically said same in his post match interview. It makes a big difference for the halves.
Not sure we have many others who have the ability. Learning that skill in your latter years is difficult.
In the past, Tohu provided the link between the dummy half and SJ, later in the sets. This role seems to have been taken over by DW, leaving Tohu in a ball carrying role. He has adapted to this new role but cannot be expected to play 80 minutes. His changing role has seen him more involved in try-scoring movements.

It sounds like Saifiti, Paulo, and Campbell-Gillard might all be available-ish. Which would you choose if one were to come to the Wahs?
Doesn't this illustrate the changing face of the NRL? RIP the prop of old, hello homogenous, mobile builds and a redistribution of cap into other areas.

Long in the tooth might be arriving a lot earlier for players now too.

Last edited:
Doesn't this illustrate the changing face of the NRL? RIP the prop of old, hello homogenous, mobile builds and a redistribution of cap into other areas.

Long in the tooth might be arriving a lot earlier for players now too.

And the game is worse off from it.
These bulldozers were the pinnacle of rugby league. Taking and making he big hits. Now their jobs are being replaced by smaller homogenous players. Not good for the game. And we wonder why AFB is so angry sometimes. Unfortunately their shelf life seems to be getting smaller to the point these builds no longer have a place in the sport 🤷🏻‍♂️

These bulldozers were the pinnacle of rugby league. Taking and making he big hits. Now their jobs are being replaced by smaller homogenous players. Not good for the game. And we wonder why AFB is so angry sometimes. Unfortunately their shelf life seems to be getting smaller to the point these builds no longer have a place in the sport 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not just the front row, the entire game requires courage and if you don’t have it, you’ll be found out. The best teams have halves that are willing to take the ball deep into the line and cop a hit. The best centres and edge forwards are willing to hold the ball in a crash play knowing they’re going to take heavy contact. The best wingers put their neck on the line in corners again risking heavy contact and contorting their bodies into all sorts. The games faster but the same principles there and defence still wins. Just a new strategy and these big guys used in smaller minutes for impact. Crazy the minutes they can play for the size of some and how they’re evolving too to the speed. Think it definitely has had an impact on injuries

Not just the front row, the entire game requires courage and if you don’t have it, you’ll be found out. The best teams have halves that are willing to take the ball deep into the line and cop a hit. The best centres and edge forwards are willing to hold the ball in a crash play knowing they’re going to take heavy contact. The best wingers put their neck on the line in corners again risking heavy contact and contorting their bodies into all sorts. The games faster but the same principles there and defence still wins. Just a new strategy and these big guys used in smaller minutes for impact. Crazy the minutes they can play for the size of some and how they’re evolving too to the speed. Think it definitely has had an impact on injuries
Yeah but I’m not talking about attitude. I’m talking about body shape… although Ed Kosi playing on the wing still defies logical sense so maybe there is hope yet for those with a wide girth…

For sure. The battle of titans up front before the dust settled and the game found a rhythm, only to fire up again with big boppers off the bench. Guys who would try and one-up each other.

I must admit that I have watched very little of the Eels this year (who would want to), so haven't seen how Paulo is tracking/aging, but he used to be one of my favourite players. 11 years is a pretty long career for a prop regardless. Josh Papali'i too, it would be a shame to lose the likes of these guys.

Isn't this good for us since we don't have any massive units except AFB, and none really in the juniors? I wouldn't mind Josh Papali'i up front though.

Only forward I want is Willison. I want something with a point of difference not just a good mid range prop.

Willison provides height, offloads, drive and youth.

If we don't get him then we just bring up our juniors. Please buy a left winger.

Willison deffo Numero Uno for me - young, Kiwi, big frame, id be happy to get him on a 5 year contract of 6-700k. He's at that point where he'd be 50 odd games in to his career so wouldn't be a rookie as such

2nd best option imo is Saifiti for 450-500k. Absolute steal if true, and still has more than enough juice for a 2-3 year stint at that price. Gives us a bit of breathing space not needing our rookies to hit the ground running and hold down a spot week in week out from nek year.

We lose AFB, and likely Jazz, Tohu and SJ by the end of 2025 at the latest, we need a bit of experience in the pack if we lose all of those fullas within 12 months of each other

Willison deffo Numero Uno for me - young, Kiwi, big frame, if be happy to get him on a 5 year contract of 6-700k.

2nd best option imo is Saifiti for 450-500k. Absolute steal of true, and still has more than enough juice for a 2-3 year stint at that price. Gives us a bit of breathing space not needing our rookies to hit the ground running and hold down a spot week in week out from nek year.

We lose AFB, and likely Jazz, Tohu and SJ by the end of 2025 at the latest, we need a bit of experience in the pack if we lose all of those fullas within 12 months of each other
Can we get both with those guys cash

Can we get both with those guys cash

Don't be greedy bro! 😝

Haha nah, absolutely I think we have the money to do that. With Tohu, Jazz, and SJ's money coming up I think we'd have the cash, but imo wed only be looking at one - you gotta give out rookies some game time and realistically, one or two of Ale, Zyon Maiu’u, Laban, Sifakula and Halasima probably need to be in the team full time at that point.

Id go:
JFH
Egan
Barnett
Niukore
Capewell
Walker

Willison/Saifiti
Ford
Ale
Laban/Halasima/Sifakula

Back