3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
I’m biased admittedly, I love SJ and he probably edges Stacey as my favourite ever Warrior.

He’s always been a guy who’s been a little sensitive to criticism over the course of his career, not unlike Martin Crowe as a comparison. He’s a passionate man and hasn’t been afraid to give it back when he’s been called out.

I hope there’s one last flurry left in him, hopefully for this year and the next. But if there’s not then I will appreciate him being the shining light in the last 14 years of supporting the Warriors.
That's funny, I was comparing him to Crowe in my head earlier. Crowe was playing on one leg at the end, a shadow of his former self. It didn't change the fact that he was a NZ legend and deserved to go out on his terms.

Lauiti'iti is my favourite ever Warriors player, Jones 2nd. SJ's highlights would outnumber them both. Man he has thrilled over the years. I love the guy.

But if you can't get on the park, and play freely, then there is not really any sentiment that can change reality.

Last edited:
I have tried to get onboard the Johnson fan club but it's been a struggle. He just has never done it for me and I have expressed that here many times over the years. But that's the player not the man.

I do feel for the guy. From what I see looking in from the outside he seems to be a decent man and a good husband and father. And he loves the Warriors. He has to be hurting. And he deserves to be treated with respect. If people are getting into him publicly on his social media that's just wrong.
Is that hypocritical? I would share what I think of him as a player here but I criticise people bagging and attacking him on public platforms? Apologies if it is

He's had 13 or 14 seasons playing at the top level and there's not many have done that. He has won so many accolades. I have always wished for him that Bellamy or Bennett had got him at an early age and taught him what they know. He had extraordinary skills as a young man and I think he could have been a once in a generation player. Sadly the revolving coaches and the dynamic at the club did him no favours.

It's sad when players come to the end of their careers. Especially when "fans" that were shouting for them start shouting at them. Shaun and Tohu and anyone else that's done a lot of years of hard work for the club don't deserve hate from anyone.

He's had 13 or 14 seasons playing at the top level and there's not many have done that. He has won so many accolades. I have always wished for him that Bellamy or Bennett had got him at an early age and taught him what they know. He had extraordinary skills as a young man and I think he could have been a once in a generation player. Sadly the revolving coaches and the dynamic at the club did him no favours.
That is an interesting point, Ivan mentioned one of his regrets around leaving the Warriors was he didnt get to coach SJ.

Would love to see a parallel universe where he didn’t snap his ankle- he was untouchable at that stage- they reckon that eventually contributed to tearing his Achilles too…
Btw does anyone know if the current Achilles injury is the same one he tore?
Imagine the suspension for that tackle these days.

Would love to see a parallel universe where he didn’t snap his ankle- he was untouchable at that stage- they reckon that eventually contributed to tearing his Achilles too…
Btw does anyone know if the current Achilles injury is the same one he tore?
Imagine the suspension for that tackle these days.

Yeah, you'd think by today's standards he'd have had a decent stint on the sidelines due to the severity of the injury.

For me it was just a desperate melee to try and stop a hot-stepping SJ rather than anything malicious or even clumsy. So it would have been unfortunate. I don't miss the Mateo shirt grabs though :ROFLMAO:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnWtnlJ1xc

Yeah, you'd think by today's standards he'd have had a decent stint on the sidelines due to the severity of the injury.

For me it was just a desperate melee to try and stop a hot-stepping SJ rather than anything malicious or even clumsy. So it would have been unfortunate. I don't miss the Mateo shirt grabs though :ROFLMAO:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnWtnlJ1xc

Looks like a nasty hip drop to me- the 2nd rower- can’t remember his name- leaves his feet, swings his hips and comes down on Sj ankle.

Looks like a nasty hip drop to me- the 2nd rower- can’t remember his name- leaves his feet, swings his hips and comes down on Sj ankle.
Definitely. And you can see why they are trying to eradicate that from the game

The result was a nasty hip drop, but I see a lot of mitigating factors. SJ burns past him leaving him grappling, he gets tangled with Mateo whose hip contact takes out and shunts his legs (which is not obvious from front on).

A lot of the hip drops that are punished these days are ones where the defenders are in control and can avoid what they have done. I don't see Symonds in conscious control of any of his movement there.

SJ was too good for Mateo and Symonds and a whole lot of desperate flailing arms and legs ended up in a dangerous position is my take.

The result was a nasty hip drop, but I see a lot of mitigating factors. SJ burns past him leaving him grappling, he gets tangled with Mateo whose hip contact takes out and shunts his legs (which is not obvious from front on).

A lot of the hip drops that are punished these days are ones where the defenders are in control and can avoid what they have done. I don't see Symonds in conscious control of any of his movement there.

SJ was too good for Mateo and Symonds and a whole lot of desperate flailing arms and legs ended up in a dangerous position is my take.
I don’t think anyone intentionally try's to hip drop but it’s kinda like high contact- the responsibility is on the defender (these days).
Wasn’t the only ankles broken in that clip either- he put foran on skates 🤭

I've heard something along the lines that SJ's injury isn't as bad as they are letting on and that he's not coming back.

I like the source it's coning from and have no reason to believe it's not true.

Also Tohu will be faded out.

I bet the injury to SJ will be the reason spun to us as to why he won't play again.
That is massive news if true!

sad news if true. Will forever be a Sj fan as I was just 12 years old when he started out in first grade so grew up with him over the years.

Last year was so good watching him play. They used to throw some shape and he could get CNK and dallin on a 2 on 1. Short ball for Curran or marata to slip through. Face ball for AFB to go over and score. For some reason it just ain’t working for him this year. Every thing seems so easy to read and clunky after the dragons loss.