3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
I've heard something along the lines that SJ's injury isn't as bad as they are letting on and that he's not coming back.

I like the source it's coming from and have no reason to believe it's not true.

Also Tohu will be faded out.

I bet the injury to SJ will be the reason spun to us as to why he won't play again.
I believe that would be the best case scenario for both parties.

I've heard something along the lines that SJ's injury isn't as bad as they are letting on and that he's not coming back.

I like the source it's coming from and have no reason to believe it's not true.

Also Tohu will be faded out.

I bet the injury to SJ will be the reason spun to us as to why he won't play again.

I hope you're wrong.
If true its a weak cop out by the club.
He doesnt deserve to go out this way. Not to have his last game a 6-66 hiding.

What he deserves is a final farewell at MSS, so fans can show their appreciation to him and all he has given to the club.

Last edited:
He doesnt deserve to go out this way.
He doesnt deserve to have his last game a 6-66
What he deserves is a final farewell at MSS, so fans can show their appreciation to him and all he has given to club.

I hope you're wrong.

What he deserves is a final farewell at MSS, so fans can show their appreciation to him and all he has given to club.
He deserves a sendoff for sure! But not at the expense of our season.

If we are done and can't make the finals then yeah I'm all for that.

He doesnt deserve to go out this way.
He doesnt deserve to have his last game a 6-66

I hope you're wrong.

It's a funny one. On one hand we have to put our strongest team out there. That is non-negotiable.

On the other hand if SJ had a farewell testimonial game, I'd consider flying up for it, such is my desire to be part of the occasion that thanks him for the very special club memories given to us by a club legend.

This right here is why players bow out on a high, because this situation (if it is being read right) is unfortunate for all involved.

There is a lot of assumption being made by people (me included) though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
As a group, having watched Shaun across most of his career, do we feel he has fulfilled the promise he showed in his first season as a Warriors 7?
I'll go first and say that to my mind no he hasn't and the reason for this is because he spent far to many matches in a Warriors jersey just drifting through without making an impact on the game. And we all know when Shaun is in drift mode because we see time and time again he'll jog across field dumping the ball off to an inside runner which even Stevie Wonder can read.
He had the potential to be the greatest half back to ever pull on a Warriors or Kiwis jersey. As it stands though he is second only to Stacey Jones for the greatest half back to play for the Warriors and that probably speaks volumes of how good he could have been.

As a group, having watched Shaun across most of his career, do we feel he has fulfilled the promise he showed in his first season as a Warriors 7?
I'll go first and say that to my mind no he hasn't and the reason for this is because he spent far to many matches in a Warriors jersey just drifting through without making an impact on the game. And we all know when Shaun is in drift mode because we see time and time again he'll jog across field dumping the ball off to an inside runner which even Stevie Wonder can read.
He had the potential to be the greatest half back to ever pull on a Warriors or Kiwis jersey. As it stands though he is second only to Stacey Jones for the greatest half back to play for the Warriors and that probably speaks volumes of how good he could have been.
In fairness though, he had a new coach pretty much every two years and some shit players around him. I’ve always wondered what he could’ve been if he had a decent coach and good players around him consistently.

Longevity wise, 14 years is a hell of an innings for a speedy half. I really can't overstate that, 14 years is bonkers. Not reaching 300 games will hurt him.

Has he achieved his potential? Depends what you measure that on. I'd say yes overall, though I'm sure everyone felt at the time that we had the key to winning premierships for years such was his talent.

What would be the comparison's to measure it again? The speedsters whose pace dulls over time.

Walsh will be interesting. I don't think his career will be as long as SJ's personally. Who else? Ponga? Hunt, DCE never had the same electricity? Benji - he reinvented himself and played almost 350 games (this is probably who SJ aspired to be)

Last edited:
He deserves a sendoff for sure! But not at the expense of our season.

If we are done and can't make the finals then yeah I'm all for that.
I’d like to see him recognise that at present he’s not the best 7 for the club at the moment but be willing to be the second fiddle 7 next year too if he’s willing. Not sure how that would look and shouldn’t be taking game time away from an up and comer in nsw cup, and shouldn’t be expected to with what he’s done in the game too. Think if he wants to still be apart of the Warriors first premiership as a back up 7, it should be explored. His salary would have to recognise this also

I’d like to see him recognise that at present he’s not the best 7 for the club at the moment but be willing to be the second fiddle 7 next year too if he’s willing. Not sure how that would look and shouldn’t be taking game time away from an up and comer in nsw cup, and shouldn’t be expected to with what he’s done in the game too. Think if he wants to still be apart of the Warriors first premiership as a back up 7, it should be explored. His salary would have to recognise this also
I don't think that would work for Shaun and Webby. He's not playing cup, he would rather retire before playing cup.

If that's his lot then yes it's a sad way to go, but we have been shown twice now that we are a far better outfit without him, thank God Martin is just making everyone else around him better.

100% don’t think his ego would agree to it but playing nsw cup next year to teach the young guys would be amazing. I don’t think he actually enjoys playing the game. It’s far to brutal on the body and mind. Has anyone of SJ calibre ever done something like this? They go the retirement route or head to the UK instead

It's a funny one. On one hand we have to put our strongest team out there. That is non-negotiable.

On the other hand if SJ had a farewell testimonial game, I'd consider flying up for it, such is my desire to be part of the occasion that thanks him for the very special club memories given to us by a club legend.

This right here is why players bow out on a high, because this situation (if it is being read right) is unfortunate for all involved.

There is a lot of assumption being made by people (me included) though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If we are undefeated leading up to that testimony game and we are just on the cusp of the 8, would you still think this would be good?

I would not let SJ near this team if we keep winning and that's an easy decision. The club could make a special day for SJ without him playing though.

I'm guessing a testimony game does not included the first grade team right?

Reactions: CWC
100% don’t think his ego would agree to it but playing nsw cup next year to teach the young guys would be amazing. I don’t think he actually enjoys playing the game. It’s far to brutal on the body and mind. Has anyone of SJ calibre ever done something like this? They go the retirement route or head to the UK instead
I've often wondered about this. How many players retire through the grades similar to how they rise up through the grades?
On the one hand I think senior players retiring bit by bit would be good for, as you say, the young guys coming through. On the other, is there a point where yes, the ego of a player who might have played International/SOO level doesn't want to fade out bit by bit. Just announce that you're done with rugby league as of now/the end of the season.
Like if Jacob Layben doesn't kick on in and spends his NRL Life as back-up, is always solid and dependable when needed but is nothing more in comparison to Mitchell Barnett who's played SOO and 150+ NRL games.

If we are undefeated leading up to that testimony game and we are just on the cusp of the 8, would you still think this would be good?

I would not let SJ near this team if we keep winning and that's an easy decision. The club could make a special day for SJ without him playing though.

I'm guessing a testimony game does not included the first grade team right?
Be nice if he came off the bench for a cameo but he doesn't have to play a testimonial match, just be there so we can honour his career, hopefully with a win.

He's never signing on to play cup. If his body's had enough, that's it.