3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
I've heard something along the lines that SJ's injury isn't as bad as they are letting on and that he's not coming back.

I like the source it's coming from and have no reason to believe it's not true.

Also Tohu will be faded out.

I bet the injury to SJ will be the reason spun to us as to why he won't play again.

Tohu got only 24 minutes last night, he’s not an impact player and it would be good if they phase him out to be a depth player if we have another injury crisis, Ale/Afoa/Laban need to be playing, Ale was amazing for a month then they dropped him like WTF

Tohu got only 24 minutes last night, he’s not an impact player and it would be good if they phase him out to be a depth player if we have another injury crisis, Ale/Afoa/Laban need to be playing, Ale was amazing for a month then they dropped him like WTF
It’s the SJ thread but Tohu looked physically exhausted early in his stint and again early after half time. Felt sorry for the guy.

He’s a man of mana, will know he’s not keeping up and will pull the pin before he’s forced out.

Dale Fanuicane style probably

I don’t know about the testimonial game if we are fighting for top 8 or avoiding wooden spoon, do we do it for RTS, Tohu etc etc? Check out Lockyer and Webb’s last ever game for the Broncos lol

Maybe a packed house Cup game at Mt Smart to send off? It’s a hard one

He's struggled the entire season to sort his achilles/hamstring out. He's hardly been training, and clearly that has had an affect on our attack this season, we have looked clunky as fuck most year, especially with him there.

Have the club said sorry SJ - we can't continue to nurse you through anymore, we need to get some cohesion and can't do it with a dominant half who can't train, or move well in defense? He would be sticking his hand up to play for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, especially after the Titans game. That's not a dig on SJ, just putting the pieces of the puzzle together, he's been struggling since late pre season. This could be his final shot to get back on the park, and I really hope he does.

Tohu, I'm not so sure about that. I think him taking a bench role for the rest of his career, and handing the captaincy over next season could be on the cards though.

Dam thats sad. And also a terrible fucking indictment on the club for mismanaging SJ YET AGAIN.

Zero legacy planning, zero man management. He wasn't right when he came back, he's either got a chronic injury or is being covered for. He should have been put on ice up until this upcoming bye and then been assessed. During that time we could have had a stable halves pairing working on combinations. If during that time we had gone 8-0, well the decision is easy.

As for fans "disrespecting" players, thats also on the coach for putting the struggling players in that position. But also dont say things that wouldn't say to their face. And while im not sure I would address him as "Tofu", I most certainly would tell him its time to hang up the boots.

Dam thats sad. And also a terrible fucking indictment on the club for mismanaging SJ YET AGAIN.

Zero legacy planning, zero man management. He wasn't right when he came back, he's either got a chronic injury or is being covered for. He should have been put on ice up until this upcoming bye and then been assessed. During that time we could have had a stable halves pairing working on combinations. If during that time we had gone 8-0, well the decision is easy.

As for fans "disrespecting" players, thats also on the coach for putting the struggling players in that position. But also dont say things that wouldn't say to their face. And while im not sure I would address him as "Tofu", I most certainly would tell him its time to hang up the boots.
If SJ is training well, telling everyone he’s good to play, surely he knows his own body by this point and its largely his call.

At the same time he’s deciding whether or not to play on, he’s not going to just accept just sitting on the sidelines when he feels okay and there’s money on the table.

So, they gave him the opportunity, he plays, is ineffective, aggravates his injury and here we are.

This is just what happens with old marquee players, there’s a million examples, players who have a lot of pull within a club, who just can’t do what they used to be able to do.

Legacy planning? What is this nonsense, the succession plan is ‘play the other halves you have contracted’ who are doing good – so that’s fine.

Your thesis fails on examination. How many halves pairings have we had this year?
SJ-Metcalf:
SJ-TMM: change was required due to injury
TMM-CNK: only plays as 3 other halves on contract all injured
TMM-CHT: backup half returns from injury
TMM-SJ: starting half returns from injury
TMM-CHT: change was required due to injury

its not that complicated professor.

Last edited:
All is know is the team haven’t been playing for SJ but have been for TMM for whatever reason.

If he’s playing injured then he shouldn’t be playing at all but if he’s fit then he’s been really shit.
Last year we Needed him at times like 1st final vs Knights. But the emergence of TMM as a dominant half has been marvellous considering earlier this season he was playing in Shaun's skid marks.

Shaun still has value but get him fit and healthy first. I think he came back too soon and suffered because of it. Then we all suffered

Its a performance based job where your KPI's are media scrutinised and publicly scrutinised. Now with social media the pub shit talk is now broadcastable.

Regarding management of SJ by Webby and club. They do need to remember who does what and whoever names the team decides. A player can have their say but not name the team. Hindsight is great but we shat the bed against GC Titans.