3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
Instead of us hoping SJ gets to the form that made him RLPA player of the year less than a year ago, and just pipped for Dally M, we want him to retire and sound excited at him being injured and out of the team.

Pretty sad indictment of where are our supporters are at.
It's been a tough time for top halves this season. Moses, Cleary, Munster, Reynolds have all been in and out and the list goes on. SJ will know when it's time but while he's still putting the jersey on I'll back him 100%.

There is a difference between 'hate' towards a player and calling out poor performance that is very evident. And when there is a better alternative that has been performing. Everyone would love him to get back fit and in the form he had last season but he isn't. And hasn't been for a large part of this season. Bringing him back for the Storm game hasn't helped his cause either and was a baffling decision by whoever made it.

Agreed, pretty disgusting the disrespect here shown towards club legends like SJ and Tohu.
Questioning performance and wether the'yve still got the legs for first grade is fine and understandable imo.....particulary based on this seasons displays.

The doubts and speculation over their personal characters and how some forumers have even convinced themselves to believe that someone they've never met doesnt give a shit about the club or trying actively to sow disharmony behind the scenes just staggers me tbh.

They may be past it, may not, may be in poor form. But these guys have bled and given their all for the club over a long period of time. Tohu might not be able to create the ruck speed or cover ground like he once used to, but lets not forget for several seasons now he's pretty much fucked his body up having to do all the tidy up work to cover some of his lazy arse team mates or the youngsters that everyones crying out for who have still yet to develop that sort of engine......and successive coaches have played him 80 minutes with injury when they know they shouldve rested him cause they could rely on him to lock things down even under fatigue and while others were fading....i have no doubt this has all caught up with him now.

For a supposed prima donna who has his tits in a tangle cause Te Maire is shaping as the go to player now, as Webster and his team mates have stated in his comeback before the Storm game, went to the team and told them dont change what your doing, Te Maire can run the show i'll just play support.......yep clearly the rotten apple behind the scenes :rolleyes:.......please....SJ has too much love for the club to want to bring it down from the inside, and im sure if his body no longer allows him to reach the required standard he wont need to be pushed.

The criticisms over the formulated style of game he's playing or wether his game gels with TMM or not are warrented and worthy of debate imo, same as the doubts over Tohu no longer being able to create ruck speed severely lacking his and the teams impact.......and if changes need to be made because of this so be it......but it sure as hell wont be because of ridiculous conspiracy theories or some nasty personal attacks........usually from the uninformed or people who have never laced a boot or played any decent competitive sport in their lives.

There is a difference between 'hate' towards a player and calling out poor performance that is very evident. And when there is a better alternative that has been performing. Everyone would love him to get back fit and in the form he had last season but he isn't. And hasn't been for a large part of this season. Bringing him back for the Storm game hasn't helped his cause either and was a baffling decision by whoever made it.
Yeah there is a difference, and he has been copping alot of 'hate'

Just go on social media.

As much as I think TMM > Shaun right now, I feel stink for Shaun having to cop alot of the flak.

End of the day these guys are human and although we expect them to have thicker skin due to their job they shouldn’t really have to.
Can’t be easy reading that shit and although I get fans are pissed after the weekend things like this can have an effect n people that you don’t know.
Had a run in with someone last week where normally I’d brush the shit off but it hit harder than it normally would dye to what was going on at the time personally

He is quite a complicated guy though isn't he... as this side has always been a part of his make up. As much as he's saying the comments don't hurt - he's hurt enough to do a post.

Basking in the adulation when things are good & wallowing in the hate doesn't seem to healthy cycle.

It's really sad after last season to be stuck in this mire.

Takes a special kind of fuckwit to actually take the time to go and comment on a players own social media page…

Bang on.

Also I think some posters on this forum are rather hyperbolic with their opinions on the players.

There's a middle ground between wishing ill health upon a player and defending poor performance.

I hope SJ takes the four weeks, comes back and plays like his 2011 form. However, reality dicatates that that's not a high chance and so we must consider the ramifications of that, going forward

Bang on.

Also I think some posters on this forum are rather hyperbolic with their opinions on the players.

There's a middle ground between wishing ill health upon a player and defending poor performance.

I hope SJ takes the four weeks, comes back and plays like his 2011 form. However, reality dicatates that that's not a high chance and so we must consider the ramifications of that, going forward
I'm worried that 4 weeks is not going to be enough for an Achilles injury. These can take a long time to recover properly.

I'm also worried about who or how they are making the call to play him. Its fairly evident that he wasn't right but seemed to be 'rushed' back for the Storm game while we had a team that was performing well. Whose call is it and how rigorous was the testing? If TMM and CHT don't fire and/or the team aren't going well in the next 3-4 games then sure, look at pushing him back as quickly as we can. I just feel that a game in 💙 Mighty NSW cup testing it out under game conditions would have been beneficial and next time as well. I do wonder if that is seen as a knock on the player.

I think the fans are invested in the team and their performance and have a right to comment and even criticise a player as long as it doesn’t get personal or cross to hate. I don’t consider anything on this forum oversteps the mark.

The players actually need that fan investment to earn the huge salaries they receive. 99% is constructive and fans being invested and just the law of averages means a few idiots will overstep the mark. The players need to understand this is the way it is as a public figure and not let the 1% affect them.

The argument they are just footy players doesn’t wash. Go play park footy if you don’t want to be a public figure. As professionals it’s on them to have systems in place for dealing with it. (Professional support; staying off social media; etc)

I’m saying all this, I agree with his comments that the haters have the real issues. Sportspeople just need to make sure it doesn’t get to them.

Specifically on SJ, he’s took the praise and rode the wave last year and loved it! He’s got to wear the opposite now he’s not reaching his potential and just accept this is the way it is.

I think the fans are invested in the team and their performance and have a right to comment and even criticise a player as long as it doesn’t get personal or cross to hate. I don’t consider anything on this forum oversteps the mark.

The players actually need that fan investment to earn the huge salaries they receive. 99% is constructive and fans being invested and just the law of averages means a few idiots will overstep the mark. The players need to understand this is the way it is as a public figure and not let the 1% affect them.

The argument they are just footy players doesn’t wash. Go play park footy if you don’t want to be a public figure. As professionals it’s on them to have systems in place for dealing with it. (Professional support; staying off social media; etc)

I’m saying all this, I agree with his comments that the haters have the real issues. Sportspeople just need to make sure it doesn’t get to them.

Specifically on SJ, he’s took the praise and rode the wave last year and loved it! He’s got to wear the opposite now he’s not reaching his potential and just accept this is the way it is.

I love SJ but I find it concerning the first eye catching move our senior players do after the historical thrashing is fighting online trolls like a 23 y/o. Imagine Barney, Tallis, JFH etc doing that. This is the energy in the shed right now?

Unless his kids are getting death threats (go to the police) I thought this is the period where you baton down the hatches and prove the trolls wrong with your action instead of one up them on IG, unless you know you're done for the season and can't let the footy do the talking anymore?

If I were a senior player I'd post about signing autographs post game and state we're sorry for the performance that caused distress to the kids and parents at the ground in the weekend, we'll work our a$$ off to redeem ourselves this week and prove the haters wrong or something to that extent.

Not hey everyone I'm getting bullied I'm so sad, last year I had front page coverage and my calf was headline news all month and now this. (Kinda proving Andrew Jones' theory)

A better PR move is to act you're concerned about the fans and the kids, this gives the me me me vibe....

Don't come at me bro btw, just ranting

Last edited:
Bang on.

His dynamic 2011 form is long behind him, but I'd take a slice of his 2023 form any day.

I’m biased admittedly, I love SJ and he probably edges Stacey as my favourite ever Warrior.

He’s always been a guy who’s been a little sensitive to criticism over the course of his career, not unlike Martin Crowe as a comparison. He’s a passionate man and hasn’t been afraid to give it back when he’s been called out.

I hope there’s one last flurry left in him, hopefully for this year and the next. But if there’s not then I will appreciate him being the shining light in the last 14 years of supporting the Warriors.