4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
I think we are wiser..

As we will have found a halves combo to settle on to try and pinch 8th spot...
Yep thank god (if Martin and Chanel keep it up), Shaun's still an unknown factor though playing severely hampered all year apparently. Hope Webby doesn't play him again until he's 100%.

Last edited:
Yep thank god (if Martin and Chanel keep it up), Shaun's till an unknown factor though playing severely hampered all year apparently. Hope Webby doesn't play him again until he's 100%.

I think he’ll never be 100% again, this is the NRL, he could just keep match fit and wait till TMM gets injured, at the meantime get some reps at Sky commentary as an “open day” and see if that’s what he wants to do post retirement

I'd honestly give him a game or two, once fit, in 💙 Mighty NSW cup to rediscover some love for playing. A bit more freedom and heads up play there with some young and enthusiastic players that yelling and sniping at might not be the most effective method of communication.

Reactions: CWC
His 2023 off season was something else. SJ was in peak condition, like he had put everything into it as one last hurrah. His lack of soft tissue injuries were probably a result of that work. I think everyone felt he was bulletproof again, and assumed that he could go on forever.

This year those soft tissue injuries are back, and it is concerning that they in multiple places. It is hard to keep the body as a temple, especially whilst nursing niggles. SJ would need a lot of luck to go his way, and it isn't. He is now playing catch up, and you just get the feeling that it will be an uphill battle this year. He would need a big pre-season and a lot of luck to run around again I think.

In the past people have compared this stage of career to Reynolds, but Reynolds is a much different player who is still suited to his role with lesser mobility.

"“He’s just not physically there. He’s tried and tried, was feeling really good and training but it just wasn’t what he wanted so we’ve made a decision and we’re all on board with it."

Hmmm a lot of explaining from Webby here, only plugged out this quote as an example - so basically SJ can probably still play (with "the injury") but they've told him to rest up and he agreed.