• If you have difficulty connecting to certain section of the site i.e. Home/Forums, then please refresh your browser cache.

Select your browser from the options on this link and it will walk you through the steps.

If you still have difficulty, send a message.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
sj.png

Player Shaun Johnson

Date of Birth
Sep 9, 1990
Birth Location
Auckland, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Height (cm)
179 cm
Weight (kg)
92 kg
Position/s
  1. Five-Eighth
  2. Halfback
Nickname
Princess
Forum Nickname/s
SJ
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Jun 4, 2011
NRL Debut Details
NRL 2011, Round 13, Sydney City Roosters
Warriors Debut Date
Jun 4, 2011
Warriors Debut Details
NRL 2011, Round 13, Sydney City Roosters
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2009
  2. 2010
  3. 2011
  4. 2012
  5. 2013
  6. 2014
  7. 2015
  8. 2016
  9. 2017
  10. 2018
  11. 2022
  12. 2023
  13. 2024
College/s
Orewa College
Signed To
Cronulla Sharks (2019-21)
Signed From
Hibiscus Coast Raiders
Junior Club/s
Hibiscus Coast Raiders
Previous Club/s
Cronulla Sharks (2019-21)
Current Club
NZ Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. World/NRL All Stars
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Player of the Year
  2. Golden Boot
  3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Retired
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
I'm not sure whether he's actually over the hill. It could just be injuries and a form slump. Either way I would probably be picking TMM and CHT as the halves pairing next week though.

Reactions: CWC
NZWarriors.com
I'm not sure whether he's actually over the hill. It could just be injuries and a form slump. Either way I would probably be picking TMM and CHT as the halves pairing next week though.
Listed as injured anyway apparently, hopefully TMM isn’t suspended too. If another halves combination gets a win next week, I’m not sure how you put SJ back in after our best performances have been without him and our worst with him this season

The more I think about it -SJ was just going through the motions today and did not gel with TMM at all
He took a kick off late in the game and limped the first few metres after kicking
Why coach didnt replace him with CHT who at least has energy a bit of speed and enthusiasm who knows.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
What happened to Thurston? History lesson please
It’s not quite the same, Thurston was demanding the ball, running every play, taking on the line, yelling at the refs likes he always did he was just old slow and ineffective.

Johnson doesn’t want to get tackled anymore, even in the first half when the game wasn’t completely gone he’s turning the ball under 3 steps from the line. Foran who’s the same age was taking the ball to the line hard.

It’s not quite the same, Thurston was demanding the ball, running every play, taking on the line, yelling at the refs likes he always did he was just old slow and ineffective.

Johnson doesn’t want to get tackled anymore, even in the first half when the game wasn’t completely gone he’s turning the ball under 3 steps from the line. Foran who’s the same age was taking the ball to the line hard.
I was more going for the ineffective part but yea basically Father Time caught up with him real quick

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
We have 2 form slumps this year both with him at 7 lol, it’s not working this year
But the forwards aren't doing thier job so how can it be SJ 😂

The guy was fantastic last year! This year he's a shadow! And at his age can't afford to that far backwards so for me he's basically walked himself out the door.

Reactions: CWC
But the forwards aren't doing thier job so how can it be SJ 😂

The guy was fantastic last year! This year he's a shadow! And at his age can't afford to that far backwards so for me he's basically walked himself out the door.
I know that was sarcasm but that was probably the first game of the season the forwards have performed poorly.
Can't use that excuse anymore, does seem father time has caught up to him regardless.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I know that was sarcasm but that was probably the first game of the season the forwards have performed poorly.
Can't use that excuse anymore, does seem father time has caught up to him regardless.
He's throwing passes to ground, kicking with no variations. He's not tackling, he's not leading that well.

I think our leaders like SJ, Tohu and AFB are holding this team back when they are on, you add the sheck factor and it gets worse.

You then put a team of coachable youngsters in the team and they fucken go off!

I have no doubt webby is the coach he just needs some players that can go in his direction.

Sj has been fantastic for us in the past and I really love what he done last season! But we need be moving forward in the same direction and for whatever reason it's not working this year, so you just can't risk another failing season next year when you have been shown a glimpse of what it looked like those three weeks.

Last edited:
The end of the match broadcast was almost poetic. The camera focussing on SJ after the match looking shell shocked and in his own head.

Sad to go from a legacy defining season last year to a legacy harming season this year.
And worse that the nrl fucked him over when he was a clear dally m winner last year. I feel for the guy but am reminiscent of his history too where he’s been a prima donna at times. I hope this isn’t one of those times

I was more going for the ineffective part but yea basically Father Time caught up with him real quick
I reckon he hasn't recovered from his injuries. And that news of him doing full training is all shit. He's busted & webster probably thinks we need him and doesn't trust a TMM/CHT partnership yet. Just sit him out & let him recover fully, play CHT. At worst if SJ fully recovers after 5 - 6 weeks then he's a good backup /Injury cover for the halves(From nsw cup) the rest of the season.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I reckon he hasn't recovered from his injuries. And that news of him doing full training is all shit. He's busted & webster probably thinks we need him and doesn't trust a TMM/CHT partnership yet. Just sit him out & let him recover fully, play CHT. At worst if SJ fully recovers after 5 - 6 weeks then he's a good backup /Injury cover for the halves(From 💙 Mighty NSW Cup) the rest of the season.

Here's the kicker.

I don't think that he can be blamed for wanting another year, after last year. Age sneaks up on you and I'm thinking that maybe he's looking at the pitch and starting to see it slipping away.
He's been an incredible player and the shitter for me is that, were he in his 'pre-sharks' form, we'd be talking a different story.

That being said, I do wonder if him and RTS really suffered from being the shining lights in the dark times of this club. Weight of the world and all that.

Regardless, if TMM and CHT are thrown back out and we start winning, the conversations pretty much done for me.

Here's the kicker.

I don't think that he can be blamed for wanting another year, after last year. Age sneaks up on you and I'm thinking that maybe he's looking at the pitch and starting to see it slipping away.
He's been an incredible player and the shitter for me is that, were he in his 'pre-sharks' form, we'd be talking a different story.

That being said, I do wonder if him and RTS really suffered from being the shining lights in the dark times of this club. Weight of the world and all that.

Regardless, if TMM and CHT are thrown back out and we start winning, the conversations pretty much done for me.
Don't get me wrong. If his form doesn't improve and his body doesn't fully recover i am happy for him to retire at season's end. I don't want him to ruin his legacy anymore than he has too. He has nothing to prove. Winning a premiership would be nice lol. But , I can't see that happening this year.

I hope no one is judging SJ on yesterday’s performance. That was on the forwards. No 7 or 6 is doing anything behind that pack yesterday.

SJ was looking fine early in the season before injuries took hold and I’m thinking he still might be hampered a bit

I hope no one is judging SJ on yesterday’s performance. That was on the forwards. No 7 or 6 is doing anything behind that pack yesterday.

SJ was looking fine early in the season before injuries took hold and I’m thinking he still might be hampered a bit

66 points suggests it wasnt just a forwards problem.... unless you're expecting them to tackle for the backs also

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement