3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
I hope no one is judging SJ on yesterday’s performance. That was on the forwards. No 7 or 6 is doing anything behind that pack yesterday.

SJ was looking fine early in the season before injuries took hold and I’m thinking he still might be hampered a bit
His poor decision making yesterday has nothing to do with his injuries.

Of course it isn't only a forwards problem but total loss of ruck control, poor physicality on defense and poor line speed can be attributed to a poor pack performance.
It was probably the only game all season I can say that our pack got totally outplayed.

our backs were missing simple 1:1 tackles
no communication, no awareness
The 2nd try Kosi was lost in between players.... it was just so typical of his defensive reads...
that had nothing to do with the pack

I think blaming the forwards is scratching at the surface.

It's basically blaming the symptoms, not the deeper issues.
The cause at least imo was the attitude, selections and use of substitutes. Attitude being number one cause, but that doesn’t change that backs don’t matter if the forwards get destroyed. Maybe a couple less try’s get scored if the backs played better, but like in all contact sports, league, unuion and NFL it’s starts and is won up front

The cause at least imo was the attitude, selections and use of substitutes. Attitude being number one cause, but that doesn’t change that backs don’t matter if the forwards get destroyed. Maybe a couple less try’s get scored if the backs played better, but like in all contact sports, league, unuion and NFL it’s starts and is won up front
Again, I think this is blaming the symptoms; not the deeper issues. There are many questions to ask. For example; in the case of 'Why are we losing upfront?'

Are they unfit/too old?
Are they confused in their jobs? If so, why is this?
Could it be that they're trying to push angles expecting to recieve the ball and not getting it?
Are they frustrated? Could it be that they're doing forwardy things and getting annoyed that the centres are miscommunicating with the backs and killing any attacking momentum?

Saying that you've 'got to win it up front' is an oversimplication of team sports. Team sports involve people and people are complex; this is why we have the story of the underdog, a team that has no right to win but does anyway.

I’ve seen it said defence is attitude and SJ missed 6 tackles yesterday. He wasn’t alone but he’s better than that. CNK very disappointing too defensively

I don't know bout rest of you but I just find there is too much kicking from us.A blind man could telegraph what SJ is going to do when he's got the ball. We played better when we ran and threw the ball around.Most teams now just know our game plan which is boring.Time for guys like SJ to pull up sticks and let the new wave come on.Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

I don't know bout rest of you but I just find there is too much kicking from us.A blind man could telegraph what SJ is going to do when he's got the ball. We played better when we ran and threw the ball around.Most teams now just know our game plan which is boring.Time for guys like SJ to pull up sticks and let the new wave come on.Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Kicking's good.

Kicking to the same spot every time is bad.

Again, I think this is blaming the symptoms; not the deeper issues. There are many questions to ask. For example; in the case of 'Why are we losing upfront?'

Are they unfit/too old?
Are they confused in their jobs? If so, why is this?
Could it be that they're trying to push angles expecting to recieve the ball and not getting it?
Are they frustrated? Could it be that they're doing forwardy things and getting annoyed that the centres are miscommunicating with the backs and killing any attacking momentum?

Saying that you've 'got to win it up front' is an oversimplication of team sports. Team sports involve people and people are complex; this is why we have the story of the underdog, a team that has no right to win but does anyway.
Selections are part of why we lost up front which I mentioned. At one stage in the middle we had Ford, CHT, Tevaga and Egan. That always going to get overpowered.

our backs were missing simple 1:1 tackles
no communication, no awareness
The 2nd try Kosi was lost in between players.... it was just so typical of his defensive reads...
that had nothing to do with the pack
As I said, it wasn't only the forwards.

SJ looked like a broken man yesterday post game. Not shattered, just...empty.

I would not at all be surprised if he calls time on his career this season. Sustained injuries, and he's now at 7 losses and counting his past 7 games (I think).

Wouldn't blame him, he's been playing a very long time.
Maybe he knows it's over, like the club has already decided?

But you would think that would have the opposite effect!

I honestly had a feeling this would happen, going the way of Thurston in his last year unfortunately.

This is a highly underrated comment.

Thurston in his final year looked every bit of a trudging reserve grade half that got his bits and pieces chances every so often. It was hard to watch.

I don't think SJ is quite at that level but you have to think he's only going one way.