Sports Rugby World Cup 2023

Blame the daft rules around the TMO not the referee. The impact of cards was foreseen years in advance with the changes and it happened. Pat yourself in the back administrators…

It’s a daft game where negative plays win you the game. A penalty is through the opposition making an error, not through your own good play. The All Blacks lost due to giving away penalties. South Africa scoring nothing through their own skill and excellence.

And that’s why rugby is slowly dying to league in NZ.

The scrubbing out of the Smith try for a knock on at the line out was the most significant error as the TMO can only draw attention to knock ons that occurred in the previous 2 phases of play prior to the scoring of the try.

Attached is a copy of the TMO PROTOCOL - see Law 11

There were at least 4 phases from line out to touchdown- I have a video but it is too large to load to site

Attachments

• 2022-TMO-protocol-Approved-by-Council-May-2022-v2.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 3
I have to admit for the first time ever I was pretty disinterested in the All Blacks games this season and only bothered watching that loss at Twickenham prior to the World Cup. But once the world cup started I was hooked, even with the pool games. And I'm sure that was the case for so many others. The best games were clearly the quarter finals. All Blacks v Ireland and South Africa v France were epic. The late flair of Fiji against England was also great. The final was rubbish in terms of quality, but everyone was talking about it at my work today. The hype of the NPC final at Taranaki this season and the interest in the charismatic Razor Robertson suggests that union will still be celebrated in this country for some years to come, unlike across the ditch where league and AFL are clearly ahead.

I think the criticism of Barnes is unfair and im not his biggest fan. Thought he was actually pretty reasonable in general play and at the breakdown...few questionable calls but you are going to get that in a game so complex as rugby. My biggest worry, similar to Sumo, is how is the guy supposed to referee to a high level with some parrot in his ear for 80mins questioning his every call. Its an absolute debacle and is very similar to what we have seen in league with the bunker. Very few sports have gotten better with the increase in technology.

My other issue in which I may be biased, im not sure, is the use of the TMO in certain games. I watched plenty of games in the WC and the level of interference from TMOs in NZ games was far and away greater than any other game I viewed.

The scrubbing out of the Smith try for a knock on at the line out was the most significant error as the TMO can only draw attention to knock ons that occurred in the previous 2 phases of play prior to the scoring of the try.

Attached is a copy of the TMO PROTOCOL - see Law 11

There were at least 4 phases from line out to touchdown- I have a video but it is too large to load to site

That's 15 months old.

I'm pretty sure the TMO powers were updated to get involved when they felt like it

I think the criticism of Barnes is unfair and im not his biggest fan. Thought he was actually pretty reasonable in general play and at the breakdown...few questionable calls but you are going to get that in a game so complex as rugby. My biggest worry, similar to Sumo, is how is the guy supposed to referee to a high level with some parrot in his ear for 80mins questioning his every call. Its an absolute debacle and is very similar to what we have seen in league with the bunker. Very few sports have gotten better with the increase in technology.

My other issue in which I may be biased, im not sure, is the use of the TMO in certain games. I watched plenty of games in the WC and the level of interference from TMOs in NZ games was far and away greater than any other game I viewed.

Personally I think a single 'impartial' official in the TMO can lead to bias. Some of the things the Pacific Island teams copped was outrageous nitpicking and totally unnecessary.

If they want this level of interference I'd like to see two TMO officials, one from each participating country. They should need to both agree before getting involved.

Personally I think a single 'impartial' official in the TMO can lead to bias. Some of the things the Pacific Island teams copped was outrageous nitpicking and totally unnecessary.

If they want this level of interference I'd like to see two TMO officials, one from each participating country. They should need to both agree before getting involved.
Interesting concept that could just work!

The team did themselves a lot of credit with how they took the loss, and how hard they fought with 14.

Unions not dead, Razor will be very popular and there’s still only one league team the general public cares about in this country and it’s not the kiwis.

the ability for the Tmo to pick and choose when they come in is a disgrace, but they had their chances to overcome it

Taken from a rugby ref's forum I follow and written by an English ref

I've just watched it again and I'd happily revise my assessment to 3 rucks. First, Barrett (NZ12) is tackled and no SA players engage. Savea (NZ8) is tackled by SA16, then SA20 contests over the ball vs NZ3 and NZ5 (one); Retallick NZ4 carries, SA7 tackles and SA20 competes vs NZ2 and NZ15 (two); Barrett (NZ12) carries again, tackled by SA16 and then SA7 competes vs NZ2 and NZ13 (three).

I am 100% confident in my reading ability that the TMO protocol says "All Clear and Obvious knock-on or throw forward infringements within two phases leading to a possible try."

I am also 100% confident that 3 is more than 2.

I've just watched it again and I'd happily revise my assessment to 3 rucks. First, Barrett (NZ12) is tackled and no SA players engage. Savea (NZ8) is tackled by SA16, then SA20 contests over the ball vs NZ3 and NZ5 (one); Retallick NZ4 carries, SA7 tackles and SA20 competes vs NZ2 and NZ15 (two); Barrett (NZ12) carries again, tackled by SA16 and then SA7 competes vs NZ2 and NZ13 (three).

I am 100% confident in my reading ability that the TMO protocol says "All Clear and Obvious knock-on or throw forward infringements within two phases leading to a possible try."

You follow union referee forums?

Are you a professional ref or is that what you choose to do for fun? 🤣

Thanks for clarifying.

I suppose though, they would be checking in as soon as it happened but play ofcourse continues.

We score, Barnes awards it but then gets it in the ear about the lineout infringement.

That would be my read on it.

I have to admit for the first time ever I was pretty disinterested in the All Blacks games this season and only bothered watching that loss at Twickenham prior to the World Cup. But once the world cup started I was hooked, even with the pool games. And I'm sure that was the case for so many others. The best games were clearly the quarter finals. All Blacks v Ireland and South Africa v France were epic. The late flair of Fiji against England was also great. The final was rubbish in terms of quality, but everyone was talking about it at my work today. The hype of the NPC final at Taranaki this season and the interest in the charismatic Razor Robertson suggests that union will still be celebrated in this country for some years to come, unlike across the ditch where league and AFL are clearly ahead.
Does NZ then become an island for Union in the southern hemisphere? With Union on life support in oz who is left to drive interest in the region? If the only focus is on the super 14 etc (not sure what it's called this year) I feel like the door is wide open for NRL to win nz hearts and minds. What's NZ rugby's long game from here?

Does NZ then become an island for Union in the southern hemisphere? With Union on life support in oz who is left to drive interest in the region? If the only focus is on the super 14 etc (not sure what it's called this year) I feel like the door is wide open for NRL to win nz hearts and minds. What's NZ rugby's long game from here?
Domestically in Australia there won't ever be a competition that will be on the level of the NRL or AFL, but rugby union will never completely disappear from Australia due to the international pull. Wait until the 2027 World Cup they are hosting and it will be the focal point - Australia do very well hosting those types of events.

The two codes will continue to co-exist on both sides of the Tasman for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for clarifying.

I suppose though, they would be checking in as soon as it happened but play ofcourse continues.

We score, Barnes awards it but then gets it in the ear about the lineout infringement.

That would be my read on it.
That is what happened but it is outside of the TMO protocol - the try should have stood

That is what happened but it is outside of the TMO protocol - the try should have stood

I think I understand this better now.

Even though the TMO may have seen the knock on straight away the fact that we scored means they shouldn't have been able to go back to it?

It's got a bit of the Ben Cummins 6 again about it. The right decision was made but in the wrong fashion!

Back