• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Post Match Raiders v Warriors - [Round 20, 2024]

Raiders vs Warriors

Raiders

20 - 18

MATCH COMPLETE

GIO Stadium

19 Jul 2024

Warriors

Match Stats

Raiders Warriors
3 Tries 4
4 / 4 Conversions 1 / 4
0/0 Field Goals 0/1
0/0 2P Field Goals 0/1
3 Try Assists 4
Raiders Warriors
49% Possession 51%
7 / 32 Set Completion 6 / 34
46 Time in Opposition Half 54
1271 Metres Gained 1224
0 Dropouts 0
11 Dummy Half Runs 1
21 / 555 Kicks/Kick Metres 22 / 600
0 40/20 0
0 20/40 0
5 Offloads 5
0 1 on 1 Steals 0
4 Line Breaks 5
2 Line Break Assists 5
0 Support Play 0
Raiders Warriors
7 / 32 Set Completion 6 / 34
4 Penalties (Conceded) 5
3 Set Restarts 3
10 Errors 9

Player Stats

# Raiders T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
1 K. Weekes 0 0 1 0 4 0 2 1 0 20 0 1 16m 108m 0 0
2 J. Rapana 0 0 1 0 1 0 4 1 0 29 3 0 0m 157m 0 0
3 M. Timoko 0 0 0 0 5 0 14 2 0 17 0 0 0m 119m 1 0
4 S. Kris 0 0 0 0 1 0 8 1 0 11 2 0 0m 86m 0 0
5 X. Savage 1 4 0 0 2 0 4 1 0 23 3 0 0m 132m 0 0
6 E. Strange 0 0 0 1 2 1 14 5 0 18 0 0 0m 58m 1 0
7 J. Fogarty 0 8 1 0 0 0 17 1 0 40 0 19 524m 13m 3 0
8 J. Papali'i 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 0 0 16 0 0 0m 97m 2 0
9 T. Starling 0 0 0 1 4 0 40 4 0 7 2 1 15m 37m 3 2
10 J. Tapine 0 0 0 0 2 1 23 3 0 17 0 0 0m 158m 0 0
11 H. Young 2 8 0 2 7 2 34 1 0 11 1 0 0m 79m 0 1
12 E. Whitehead 0 0 0 0 0 0 19 3 0 7 0 0 0m 47m 0 0
13 M. Smithies 0 0 0 0 0 0 25 1 0 8 0 0 0m 52m 0 0
14 D. Levi 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0
15 T. Mooney 0 0 0 0 0 0 22 0 0 8 0 0 0m 58m 0 1
16 A. Mariota 0 0 0 0 0 0 20 0 0 6 0 0 0m 38m 0 0
17 Z. Hosking 0 0 0 0 1 1 33 1 0 6 0 0 0m 32m 0 0
# Warriors T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
1 T. Tuaupiki 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 3 0 0 0m 2m 1 0
2 D. Watene-Zelezniak 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 1 0 19 0 0 0m 112m 2 0
3 A. Leiataua 0 0 0 0 2 0 9 1 0 13 0 0 0m 71m 0 0
4 A. Pompey 0 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 11 0 0 0m 32m 0 0
5 R. Tuivasa-Sheck 1 4 0 1 6 0 3 0 0 31 0 0 0m 142m 0 0
6 C. Harris-Tavita 0 0 1 0 0 1 15 1 0 31 0 14 449m 47m 2 0
7 T. Martin 0 0 1 0 0 0 18 4 0 32 0 6 123m 32m 0 0
8 A. Fonua-Blake 1 4 0 1 6 1 29 3 0 17 0 0 0m 163m 0 0
9 W. Egan 0 0 1 0 0 0 54 2 0 8 1 0 0m 49m 0 1
10 M. Barnett 1 4 0 1 5 1 35 2 0 17 0 1 25m 110m 1 0
11 M. Niukore 0 0 0 0 1 0 23 1 0 11 0 0 0m 73m 0 1
12 K. Capewell 1 4 0 1 2 0 11 1 0 15 0 0 0m 103m 0 1
13 D. Walker 0 0 1 1 1 0 33 3 0 11 0 1 3m 79m 0 1
14 F. Lussick 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0
15 J. Ford 0 0 0 0 0 0 38 4 0 14 0 0 0m 87m 2 1
16 J. Tevaga 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 2 0 10 0 0 0m 51m 0 0
17 L. Halasima 0 0 0 0 0 1 10 2 0 10 0 0 0m 71m 1 0

Rate the game?

• Total voters
In my cricket career I have had a few times where I had to be clutch and it is very difficult.
Your arms go to jelly and you have to really give yourself a talking to to get your body to hold its shape and shape is everything in a cricket shot execution.
Two examples -
1) The other batter was hot and scored three off the first ball in an over where we needed 14 off the last over, I should have gotten a single to put him back on strike but I couldn't calm down enough to think clearly and decided to try score a glorious six instead and wasted a delivery swinging and missing and then skied one and got out and I had lost it for us.
2) A few years later on a horrible wicket I opened the batting and soon we we were 25 for 8 chasing only 26 to win. I was the only batsman left and had a tailender at the other end. One of our senior bowlers called out to me from the sidelines "Get it done Wrighty". And I knew they were all counting on me and that the wicket was so horrible that number 11 was bound to get a duck.
Because I had been yelled at by my team mate it snapped my head into place. I realised we didn't nee d boundary to win this and I needed to hit the ball really hard all along the ground for a single to tie he game. In the end it went for two and we won.
That is my story about clutching up. It is quite hard to do and my previous experience where I had failed helped me later when I came through.

NZWarriors.com
In my cricket career I have had a few times where I had to be clutch and it is very difficult.
Your arms go to jelly and you have to really give yourself a talking to to get your body to hold its shape and shape is everything in a cricket shot execution.
Two examples -
1) The other batter was hot and scored three off the first ball in an over where we needed 14 off the last over, I should have gotten a single to put him back on strike but I couldn't calm down enough to think clearly and decided to try score a glorious six instead and wasted a delivery swinging and missing and then skied one and got out and I had lost it for us.
2) A few years later on a horrible wicket I opened the batting and soon we we were 25 for 8 chasing only 26 to win. I was the only batsman left and had a tailender at the other end. One of our senior bowlers called out to me from the sidelines "Get it done Wrighty". And I knew they were all counting on me and that the wicket was so horrible that number 11 was bound to get a duck.
Because I had been yelled at by my team mate it snapped my head into place. I realised we didn't nee d boundary to win this and I needed to hit the ball really hard all along the ground for a single to tie he game. In the end it went for two and we won.
That is my story about clutching up. It is quite hard to do and my previous experience where I had failed helped me later when I came through.
I made a major mistake in a job I had many years ago. I had to own up to it and apologise as well. The boss told me that mistakes happen but if I learn from it then it's worth making as long as nobody died or was seriously injured

I made a major mistake in a job I had many years ago. I had to own up to it and apologise as well. The boss told me that mistakes happen but if I learn from it then it's worth making as long as nobody died or was seriously injured
The missed conversion doesn't even really matter in the scheme of things and will blow over
1) It was a regular season match and not the playoffs
2) Our season has been cooked for a number of weeks even before this loss.
3) We were going to lose in golden point anyway. We all know that.

Like you say if you can learn a lesson from a mistake then you should forgive yourself. It is important to learn a lesson though. Once that has been processed you can even regard the lesson as an asset that will save you from a bigger mistake years later.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The missed conversion doesn't even really matter in the scheme of things and will blow over

Like you say if you can learn a lesson from a mistake then you should forgive yourself. It is important to learn a lesson though. Once that has been processed you can even regard the lesson as an asset that will save you from a bigger mistake years later.
These are all facts.

If we are relying on CHT in the halves we are cooked. I see him more like Walker than SJ.....,

It's been covered already but I would totally double down on CHT as a supporting / running 6.

He has proven that plenty this year in my mind.

Watching him as the main playmaker though is just so mediocre it hurts.
I don’t think you can have CHT at 6 with the style of fullback we use though. I think one of those 2 players needs to have some ball playing ability or you become too easy to shut down

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
21/22 tackles, 448 kick meters; 1 try assist; 1 line break assist.
Defence is a CHT key attribute for sure, and I’m a fan.

I feel CHT was not brought back into the squad as half’s cover but initially that Sironen / Cam Murray style role but due to injury and form has found himself in the halves.

Def a place for CHT in the 30 but moving forward we need to review the clubs halves stocks.

Last edited:

So what’s the takeaway here for CHT ?

Learn how to kick (which I think he already knows)
Prepare properly for a game ie even though your the 3rd kick option - assume you are the first and get the reps in during the week ie practice or

Learn not to CHOKe….

CHT isn’t bad . I like him as a 6 and with enough time he could be good. What I don’t like is that he’s not calm or composed. Very erratic and hyper. The missed conversations, the dropped ball close to the ball, the random and wild pass in the bulldogs game.

There’s something not right with his head yet. But he’s got a very good skill set.

Better 6 than TMM
But TMM better not as good as SJ at 7 but better than CHT😂😂😂
You do realise that he has been playing NRL for 5 years and it that time he has shown very little, how long does he need?

What is good about his skill set?

Kicking game - below average
Passing game - average at best
Running game - below average
Defence - better than average
Footy IQ -below average

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

You must be rich with all the money you make on sports betting seeing as you can accurately predict the future.

I said in the game day thread that regardless of the result, it was a gutsy performance after being 14-0 down.

With no Tuapiki, who provides more of an attacking spark than RTS & CNK out the back with this playmaking skills - we were an attacking option shorter. Couple that with the loss of Pompey and we had no right to be right in the mix to win that game, especially with Capewell & Leka being in the centres.

Disappointing to not win - sure. But it's just a year where luck isn't with us, it's not a doom & gloom year as opposed to previous poor years, our juniors & pathways is starting to fruit & as a club we are in a way better position than prior to covid.

You do realise that he has been playing NRL for 5 years and it that time he has shown very little, how long does he need?

What is good about his skill set?

Kicking game - below average
Passing game - average at best
Running game - below average
Defence - better than average
Footy IQ -below average

The guy sacrificed a family jewel for this club. Give him a break.

Seriously wish him all the best this weekend if he has kicking duties. Get that monkey off his back.

He clearly had lost it..was he concussed? Watch a replay of the sideline conversion...he stepped back in a straight line...then forgot to step to the side..ran in straight..where did it go?? Yep to the right.you dont run in straight uless you are a meninga toe poker!!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
He clearly had lost it..was he concussed? Watch a replay of the sideline conversion...he stepped back in a straight line...then forgot to step to the side..ran in straight..where did it go?? Yep to the right.you dont run in straight uless you are a meninga toe poker!!
While I feel sorry for the guy he was obviously nervous having missed previous shots. Not a good thing when trying to win a game

So what’s the takeaway here for CHT ?

Learn how to kick (which I think he already knows)
Prepare properly for a game ie even though your the 3rd kick option - assume you are the first and get the reps in during the week ie practice or

Learn not to CHOKe….
You know the long barrier in cricket? Where you go down on one knee to get your body behind the ball when fielding. One game after 30 years of playing I suddenly became confused by the mechanics of it and i stopped trusting it at all. For the the next 3 hours the ball followed me around no matter where the captain put me and it kept going between my legs or through my long barrier, I lost it and the bowlers were blowing up me.

It is hard not to Choke. Usually players who are clutch are very good players who have a ceiling far above the skill set required for the task required to win the game under pressure. People's who's skill set abilities only match the level of skill required for the task at hand will fail under pressure because the perception of the task becomes twice as difficult and suddenly they aren't good enough. It is not a matter of choking necessarily it is that task becomes considerably harder to perform under pressure and if you are only a normal player you won't be able to do that skill in that situation, Only the best of the best can.
All the clutch halves in the NRL are a list of the elite players: DCE, SJ, Cleary - you won't see Kodi's name on that list or his young partner Katoa.
It also really helps in sports if you don't over cook your thinking. So people who think a lot and are very intelligent usually are not that great at sports as they won't take good options or simplify their thinking under pressure. Intelligent people think of too many options. Great athletes are not bright sparks who are good at maths.
CHT being an author is undoubtedly the brainiest in the Warriors NRL team.
When I played well in Cricket I reacted on my first conclusion - one you have a second or third theory you get out that delivery every time.

You know the long barrier in cricket? Where you go down on one knee to get your body behind the ball when fielding. One game after 30 years of playing I suddenly became confused by the mechanics of it and i stopped trusting it at all. For the the next 3 hours the ball followed me around no matter where the captain put me and it kept going between my legs or through my long barrier, I lost it and the bowlers were blowing up me.

It is hard not to Choke. Usually players who are clutch are very good players who have a ceiling far above the skill set required for the task required to win the game under pressure. People's who's skill set abilities only match the level of skill required for the task at hand will fail under pressure because the perception of the task becomes twice as difficult and suddenly they aren't good enough. It is not a matter of choking necessarily it is that task becomes considerably harder to perform under pressure and if you are only a normal player you won't be able to do that skill in that situation, Only the best of the best can.
All the clutch halves in the NRL are a list of the elite players: DCE, SJ, Cleary - you won't see Kodi's name on that list or his young partner Katoa.
It also really helps in sports if you don't over cook your thinking. So people who think a lot and are very intelligent usually are not that great at sports as they won't take good options or simplify their thinking under pressure. Intelligent people think of too many options. Great athletes are not bright sparks who are good at maths.
When I played well in Cricket I reacted on my first conclusion - one you have a second or third theory you get out that delivery every time.
I read a lot of posts on here going on about lot's of stuff like how many touches someone gets and how many injuries someone gets.
Footy is not that complex and some read too much into what information they can find.
The opposition has a huge impact on a team's performance or lack of.
Things happen on the field in an instant and cannot be preconceived.
Don't read to much into footy

Interesting post Wrighty Wrighty

So you’re saying mainly intelligent people choke because their brain is racing a thousand miles and hr?

I don’t think choking has anything to do with intelligence and more to do with how well you can control your emotions. Emotional people choke. Stoic people don’t. Stoic people have ice in their veins. It’s called Clutch.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back