• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL NRL Expansion

I am 95% sure that their old logo was heavily put together with AI

View attachment 9516

This is the profile picture they use on Facebook, the background of course is AI but if you look at the logo itself the text is all jagged and the shadowing of it is all different colours, looks like it is fading in one spot if you look in the hole of the ‘A’.

At the top of the head there is a weird flick of that bronze colour, and something has gone wrong with the feathers just to the left of that. Above the ‘A’ in South Island there is just a hole in the feathers

The South Island at the bottom of the logo is ripped straight from Google if you just search “South Island NZ outline” too.

The background of the logo, behind the head has this weird thing going, I don’t know if it is meant to be wings or mountains but whatever it is, it’s asymmetrical and looks super fishy.

Going on a bit of a tangent here, but this is what Moffett put up on his LinkedIn..

View attachment 9519

..The logo, the jersey mock up (also AI) on a white word doc with “One Dream, One Team” in Arial? Fmd haha, clearly they have no designer or real marketing person.

You are 100% on the new logo, it’s a nightmare. It took me 15 seconds to find the Kea when I saw it the first time and that was when it was blown up.

At least they probably paid someone on fiverr for something original this time around ig? 🤷‍♂️😂
It's quite telling how shoddy this all is...

Juxtapose that against how professional the Dolphins bid was from the get go (as seen on the behind the scenes Doco)

Moffat seems to trade on being a once powerful sports administrator who maybe doesn't realise how badly his reputation is as he became so crazy politically...

NZWarriors.com
I've said it before, I'd be very surprised if the Kea is the successful south island bid. It is much more likely in my opinion that Frank Endacotts group get the nod if any. The Kea seem to lack any real substance other than the shoddy marketing imagery, whereas the 'South Island NRL Bid' is focused on making sure all the right steps are taken to ensure long lasting success.

Seems a really odd choice the gold accent, green and white look fine but the gold makes it look very Australian

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
What's the go with Andrew Chalmers's bid? Managed to make enough noise to be featured on Stuff and NRL.com back when we were waiting for Redcliffe to be announced the winners over Ipswich and Easts.

It was to be based in Wellington with some games in ChCh, but that was before they broke ground on Te Kaha One NZ Stadium tbf so I am sure that would have changed if it is still kicking.

I hope whatever wins, if any/ever, takes that Orcas branding, its mint. Teal is unused outside of the odd Sharks heritage and the Cowgirls.

What's the go with Andrew Chalmers's bid? Managed to make enough noise to be featured on Stuff and NRL.com back when we were waiting for Redcliffe to be announced the winners over Ipswich and Easts.

It was to be based in Wellington with some games in ChCh, but that was before they broke ground on Te Kaha One NZ Stadium tbf so I am sure that would have changed if it is still kicking.

I hope whatever wins, if any/ever, takes that Orcas branding, its mint. Teal is unused outside of the odd Sharks heritage and the Cowgirls.
I don't know anything about that wellington bid, but thought this was interesting.
1000002814.jpg

I don't know anything about that wellington bid, but thought this was interesting.
View attachment 9531

I did peep the endorsements they had when you posted that website link,

It actually makes the Keas bid look even more embarassing- Actual endorsements from local bodies, articles, sponsors, and even a way to get in touch if you wanted to be an investor.

I don't know how I hadn't seen the site before, its miles ahead.

I did peep the endorsements they had when you posted that website link,

It actually makes the Keas bid look even more embarassing- Actual endorsements from local bodies, articles, sponsors, and even a way to get in touch if you wanted to be an investor.

I don't know how I hadn't seen the site before, its miles ahead.
I hadn't seen the S.I bid. Seems more progressed than the Keas which was what made me hesitant. Dolphins took 3 years from accepted bid to kicking off and they were a Brisbane team, stalwarts of QRL, and have been around since 1947.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Problem with this article is that it is riding on NRL's success and comparing it against NZR. Luckily it didnt do the comparison with NZRL and NZR which would be a stark contrast.

So much is dependent on Warriors in promoting and developing the game in NZ rather than the actual organisational bodies like ARL, NZRL.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
So many players have come out of Wellington and continue to. They'll be 2nd to Akl so probably a better place to have a 2nd team
Or at least have a joint CHCH wellington bid.

I have no idea why the Wellington orcas are backing the South Island bid if there is no benefit to Wellington.

I say this as a lover of both codes.

Rugby Union now feels like it being run by a bunch of old dudes that are too “sophisticated” for their own (our) good. With a whole bunch of elitism

Participation has been falling for years. At my rugby club 12 years ago there were 5 full teams. (As, Bs, Cs, 21s, u85s). Now, there’s 2, hopefully 3 next year. On top of that, a significant portion of the club is over 25. When participation typically drops off at the senior amateur level. (Careers, families, recurring injuries etc).
Plus, the local “competitions” aren’t competitions. They’re training grounds………. Where the governing unions literally convince local players from certain clubs to go to certain other clubs.

League on the other hand, looks like it’s cranking. Every kid talks about “the Wahs”. It kinda brought a smile to my face sitting in the changing room and all these 18-22 year olds were talking about the NRL and the Warriors. No one cares about Super Rugby.

Loads of “Penrith fans” lol. They probably didn’t know Penrith existed 5 years ago.

If the South Island gets a team. That could be the hammer blow. Rugby union won’t suddenly collapse. But with financial pressure and competition by European and Japanese clubs. A second NZ NRL team will dilute the ABs (the only thing keeping Union relevant) even further.

You all know deep down how fickle NZ sports fans are. What happens when a diluted ABs can no longer compete with the world the way they once did? Rugby Union will be ripe for the taking.

A bunch of old wankers blackmailing kids in schools is a different matter. One that’ll sort itself out I think.

Seriously, if I was the NZRU. I’d try hire Peter V’landys. He just seems to get shit done.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I say this as a lover of both codes.

Rugby Union now feels like it being run by a bunch of old dudes that are too “sophisticated” for their own (our) good. With a whole bunch of elitism

Participation has been falling for years. At my rugby club 12 years ago there were 5 full teams. (As, Bs, Cs, 21s, u85s). Now, there’s 2, hopefully 3 next year. On top of that, a significant portion of the club is over 25. When participation typically drops off at the senior amateur level. (Careers, families, recurring injuries etc).
Plus, the local “competitions” aren’t competitions. They’re training grounds………. Where the governing unions literally convince local players from certain clubs to go to certain other clubs.

League on the other hand, looks like it’s cranking. Every kid talks about “the Wahs”. It kinda brought a smile to my face sitting in the changing room and all these 18-22 year olds were talking about the NRL and the Warriors. No one cares about Super Rugby.

Loads of “Penrith fans” lol. They probably didn’t know Penrith existed 5 years ago.

If the South Island gets a team. That could be the hammer blow. Rugby union won’t suddenly collapse. But with financial pressure and competition by European and Japanese clubs. A second NZ NRL team will dilute the ABs (the only thing keeping Union relevant) even further.

You all know deep down how fickle NZ sports fans are. What happens when a diluted ABs can no longer compete with the world the way they once did? Rugby Union will be ripe for the taking.

A bunch of old wankers blackmailing kids in schools is a different matter. One that’ll sort itself out I think.

Seriously, if I was the NZRU. I’d try hire Peter V’landys. He just seems to get shit done.
The problem I can see coming is that union is well funded and a lot of the development for kids coming through is from them. if the numbers decline too far the money drops too. I hope league flourishes but at some point the NZRL need to get their shit sorted and get that flow of money in to the game and grass roots

Last edited:
Or at least have a joint CHCH wellington bid.

I have no idea why the Wellington orcas are backing the South Island bid if there is no benefit to Wellington.
Fan engagement catchment from Bluff to Wellington to Waikato, Chch stadium based with some games in Welly and Dunedin. Imagine what a pathways system could do for those St Thomas boys or any SI kid who dreams of playing NRL in Union dominated towns. Actually they might be too strong, I forgot who's side I'm on for a sec.

The problem I can see coming is that union is well funded and a lot of the development for kids coming through is from them. Bif the numbers decline too far the money drops too. I hope league flourishes but at some point the NZRL need to get their shit sorted and get that flow of money in to the game and grass roots
Union is losing money at every level in NZ though, including the NZRU (and that Silverlake deal is a shocker for them).

Union is losing money at every level in NZ though, including the NZRU (and that Silverlake deal is a shocker for them).
Thats my point. At some stage the money for union dries up to the point where player development falls away. The NZRL need to get their shit together and take advantage of the current popularity and be ready to fill the void that will be created

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back