• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL NRL Expansion

NZWarriors.com
Exactly and I did not find it funny. I have actually worked in some rough areas in the USA so understood your point.
Aw ok, I suppose I have to extend an apology if that’s the case. I’m sorry I misunderstood.
Apologies Tohu I shouldn’t have laughed but it was because your rebuttal was all about the travel advisory’s.
My argument still remains even without the warnings, PNG is a very dangerous place and Players, Coaches, Trainers and there families are going to question if they want to live there.
Fair enough, I responded to the travel advisory because you brought it up, to try and make a point. Why else would you have mentioned it if not to do that….

Obviously, place by place. Auckland and Australia are “safer” than PNG. The NRL is literally going to build their own infrastructure with this in mind. This will obviously effect the clubs recruitment prospects. There will always be people will to take a risk though.

The arguments (about everything really) where “safety” is concerned is so selectively applied. Yet people (including me) will happily drive a car around or do whatever in their lives.

Hell, this is a forum about rugby league which is bloody dangerous sport in general…..

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
That's definitely the NRL's line of thinking. Now outline the risks...
Obviously player safety but I only expect locals and highly paid single mercenary type players to sign there.

The biggest sport based risk is the club isn’t competitive, doesn’t get any star Australian/ Kiwi players and relies on substandard locals. The NRL takes the cash and gives them a wooden spoon every year.

Obviously player safety but I only expect locals and highly paid single mercenary type players to sign there.

The biggest sport based risk is the club isn’t competitive, doesn’t get any star Australian/ Kiwi players and relies on substandard locals. The NRL takes the cash and gives them a wooden spoon every year.
Completely agree.
Obviously safety is a concern, IMO a little exaggerated. But a concern nonetheless. The NRL has said they’re going to build infrastructure, no doubt with this in mind. And yeah, single mercenary and journeymen wanting to cash in for a couple of seasons. Earning potential double what they would get in Australia or NZ. They’ll always be people ready to do that.

I point to the IPL in India and super rugby when it was in South Africa (I’ve spoken to Carlos Spencer in the past about his time at a South African franchise, he said it was algud) as proof of Australia and kiwis going to “unsafe” places to make a buck. Ok, maybe PNG is even more dangerous than South Africa and India.
lol, I don’t know, smh………
The actual problem for players (IMO) isn’t safety……. It’s social. But they’re going to be in Australia every second weekend.

The thing is the NRL is probably going to expand to 20 teams. With 3 extra teams they need more player pools. Expect the NRL to pillage Super League.

Perth isn’t going to have one, not right away anyway. Just look at Melbourne….. they have almost no grassroots. 25 years later.
A second NZ team can mostly source it’s own player base, but will need support from Australian and English players.

The islands are mostly used up by both codes.
Which really only leaves PNG as an “almost” untapped resource. Definitely untapped from a professional/elite standpoint.
And better yet, the Australian government is going to pay for most of it……

My brother in Christ. The biggest risk is that organized crime and foreign intelligence agencies, aided by PNGs corrupt state apparatus, see this as an opportunity to exploit the players and our game. NRLs favorite vices are the prime target for blackmail and exploitation. Drug and sex....

That has the possibility to erode confidence in the game. And if it all goes pear shaped, its will be the NRL who pays, not PNG. Reputational risk is a real thing.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
OK - so the Aussie govt is going to finance the living conditions & stability of PNG. That's very charitable of them but why does it have to be through the NRL? ? Yeah PNG loves league but what do the NRL get out of it and how much is it going to impact membership & ticket prices for the rest of the NRL community?.
Doesn't seem a very well thought out plan in my book. PNG folk are probably delighted but I'll be interested in whether the reasoning & the investment work out as planned.
In short it just seems a messy round about way of gaining a country's loyalty & won't help the larger population of PNG at all.
As has been mentioned the opportunity for increased crime & violence is more likely with NRL team trips back & forward to PNG & their own players & families being targets as well. I just don't get it.

I have listened to the debate (read it if you want to be pedantic) and here are my views

ZERO British, Kiwi, or Aussie players will move to PNG to live in a compound regardless of how much overs you pay them. ZERO is not actually correct 2 or 3 fools will sign up and then beg for a compassionate release within 2 months of the regular season starting.

This PNG team can work but it needs to be ALL PNG PLAYERS, All PNG Coaching Staff, Maybe one hired gun head coach from Aussie in his or her 60s whose life and career is basically over and wants to take on an extreme life challenge and then write a book about it afterwards.

That is the only path forward I see.

My brother in Christ. The biggest risk is that organized crime and foreign intelligence agencies, aided by PNGs corrupt state apparatus, see this as an opportunity to exploit the players and our game. NRLs favorite vices are the prime target for blackmail and exploitation. Drug and sex....

That has the possibility to erode confidence in the game. And if it all goes pear shaped, its will be the NRL who pays, not PNG. Reputational risk is a real thing.
Mate, isn’t there already the potential for this now with organised crime operating worldwide?

We already have high betting agency involvement in the game with highly unpredictable results with those results sometimes based on an individuals performance.

Aw ok, I suppose I have to extend an apology if that’s the case. I’m sorry I misunderstood.

Fair enough, I responded to the travel advisory because you brought it up, to try and make a point. Why else would you have mentioned it if not to do that….

Obviously, place by place. Auckland and Australia are “safer” than PNG. The NRL is literally going to build their own infrastructure with this in mind. This will obviously effect the clubs recruitment prospects. There will always be people will to take a risk though.

The arguments (about everything really) where “safety” is concerned is so selectively applied. Yet people (including me) will happily drive a car around or do whatever in their lives.

Hell, this is a forum about rugby league which is bloody dangerous sport in general…..
Big difference is there are SOME unsafe places in Aus/ NZ it’s fairly easy to avoid them if u want and theyre generally not forced upon you in everyday life.
PNG is a different world it’s basically unsafe outside of a compound ALL the time. I have a mate married to a Papuan and goes there a little bit and has had kidnapping attempts and encounters with police will always involve a bribe etc.
I’ve worked jobs where you get put up in resorts and it get old very quick and when you have the likes of Olam who supports the team on one hand but doesn’t want to live there you know it’s going to be a very tough team to recruit for.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Mate, isn’t there already the potential for this now with organised crime operating worldwide?

We already have high betting agency involvement in the game with highly unpredictable results with those results sometimes based on an individuals performance.
Yes except the NRL, ASIS, ASIO, the AFP, ASIC are all fighting them here in Aus and similar orgs in NZ. Which is why PNG is a vector.

I’m going to let you all in on a little “secret”
The vast majority (and I do mean the vast majority) of Rugby League and Union players. Have absolutely nothing to show for it at the end of their careers…….. Nothing.

People must think these guys a like multimillionaires or something……
They’re not….. no seriously they’re not.

To suggest a single Te Maire Martin level player (mid level half) wouldn’t take a 1-1.5 million pay packet (that’s level it’s going to take). Plus in the article they talk about tax breaks. In regards to NZ tax code that’s equivalent to 1.4-2 million. To suggest people aren’t going to take numbers like that…… is delusional. It’s laughable.
How much is TMM on? Can’t be more than 600k (I’m just using him as an example). Double to triple salary with the tax breaks? Please.
Obviously elite players aren’t going to go there.

I don’t dispute that it’s not as safe as NZ or Australia. That’s pretty obvious. Human history is full of individuals that take these sorts of risks for a fraction of the pay packet. I was in the Army once upon a time and went to Afghanistan for a little over 6 months for a fraction of the money (I walked away with 45k in hand after the tour, helped set me on my way. That was almost 15 years ago. 45k was a bit of money back then. Then I got out) and fraction of a fraction of the freedom and amenities they’ll have.
(I went to Afghan with Simon Mannerings’ brother, Marcus lol)
I see the Social thing being a bit of a problem. But they’re in Australia every second weekend lol. And it’s not like they’re actually going to live there.

Safety this, safety that lol. Bet you all drive your cars everyday……. Most of you played Rugby and/or league, one of the most dangerous sports in the world, period. People literally die playing these sports………
I drive and play…..
Hell, some of you no doubt let your children play……….. Just seriously sit there and think about that for a second…….
Spare me your flexible safety standards please……

I guess we’ll have to wait and see…… I bet the money and hunger (and desperation) wins out. Obviously no tax breaks and regular salaries aren’t going to get anywhere.

Such a “keep my cake, and eat it too” mentality on this particular topic. It’s funny.

The vast majority (and I do mean the vast majority) of Rugby League and Union players. Have absolutely nothing to show for it at the end of their careers…….. Nothing.

To suggest a single Te Maire Martin level player (mid level half) wouldn’t take a 1-1.5 million pay packet (that’s level it’s going to take). Plus in the article they talk about tax breaks. In regards to NZ tax code that’s equivalent to 1.4-2 million. To suggest people aren’t going to take numbers like that…… is delusional. It’s laughable.
How much is TMM on? Can’t be more than 600k (I’m just using him as an example). Double to triple salary with the tax breaks? Please.

I don’t dispute that it’s not as safe as NZ or Australia. That’s pretty obvious. Human history is full of individuals that take these sorts of risks for a fraction of the pay packet. I was in the Army once upon a time and went to Afghanistan for a little over 6 months for a fraction of the money (I walked away with 45k in hand after the tour, helped set me on my way. That was almost 15 years ago. 45k was a bit of money back then. Then I got out) and fraction of a fraction of the freedom and amenities they’ll have.
I see the Social thing being a bit of a problem. But they’re in Australia every second weekend lol. And it’s not like they’re actually going to live there.

Safety this, safety that lol. Bet you all drive your cars everyday……. Most of you played Rugby and/or league, one of the most dangerous sports in the world, period. People literally die playing these sports………
I drive and play…..
Hell, some of you no doubt let your children play……….. Just seriously sit there and think about that for a second…….

I guess we’ll have to wait and see…… I bet the money and hunger (and desperation) wins out. Obviously no tax breaks and regular salaries aren’t going to get anywhere.

Such a “keep my cake, and eat it too” mentality on this particular topic. It’s funny.
Firstly, totally respect your Army duties mate.
I know us doubters are talking about safety a lot, that is definitely the main drawback.
But the lifestyle, it will be like being in lockdown again with your small compound.
Wives and Children lifestyle would be terrible imo.
You say they fly to Aussie every second week but I doubt the family will be doing that trip.
Hear some of the partners can’t handle Auckland where there is cafes, movies, beaches etc. Imagine being in a bloody compound.
I think youre over estimating the power of the dollar when safety, Lifestyle are at risk.

I was in the Army once upon a time and went to Afghanistan for a little over 6 months for a fraction of the money (I walked away with 45k in hand after the tour, helped set me on my way. That was almost 15 years ago. 45k was a bit of money back then. Then I got out) and fraction of a fraction of the freedom and amenities they’ll have.
Shit son what corps? what was there back then? Eggers and Bamiyan?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

I drive and play…..

It’s not always about the money, even the Warriors get plenty turning us down even paying well overs.
Single players sure but ones with families not so much.
If I was a single player needing a break maybe but definitely not with a family. How many of those players would stick around more than a year or so before the homesick card gets pulled? Hearing the Warriors guys talk about the lockdown era not sure the compound will be viable long term.
I had been keen on PNG when I first heard it mooted around superleague but the more I learn about the country the less viable it seems

Shit son what corps? what was there back then? Eggers and Bamiyan?
II/I battalion, crib 17.
Firstly, totally respect your Army duties mate.
I know us doubters are talking about safety a lot, that is definitely the main drawback.
But the lifestyle, it will be like being in lockdown again with your small compound.
Wives and Children lifestyle would be terrible imo.
You say they fly to Aussie every second week but I doubt the family will be doing that trip.
Hear some of the partners can’t handle Auckland where there is cafes, movies, beaches etc. Imagine being in a bloody compound.
I think youre over estimating the power of the dollar when safety, Lifestyle are at risk.
Aw bro, the social/lifestyle thing is the actual problem, not so much safety (yeah it’s a factor). But they’re going to Australia every other weekend. It’s not like they’re actually going to be living there.

I wouldn’t even bother trying to sign elite players and people with families.

I’m after the mercs’. Those mid level players that are trying to cash in. It’s going to take stupid incentives to get them, which those potential tax breaks will help with. Don’t underestimate the dollar brother. For even older players with wives and kids.

Adam Reynolds? Instead of 700k. 1.5 million? I don’t know what Australia tax brackets are but I bet that’ll make that equivalent to a lot, 2 million plus?.
“Honey, you stay home with the kids. I’m going to set us up for life in 2 years. We won’t need to worry about money ever again”……….. You can’t rule that out? I’ll admit that’s unlikely, but still.

For the members that left NZ for better opportunities. This should be right up your alley. Different factors sure, but principle the same.
Plunge your hands into the filth and pull your family out of poverty…….
That’s the dream brother…….

I drive and play…..

They will be on the same salary cap as everyone else. If they offer TMM $1.5M then they are not going to have much left to get any other NZ or Aussie players if the going rate is over one million for each import.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back