• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL NRL Expansion

NZWarriors.com
A team with a completely different set of players, management, culture wouldn't necessarily be average.

Blues lack of success all those years had no effect on the Crusaders. Or vice versa this year.
Huh? The correct analogy would be like Argentina or Japan or entering a 2nd RU team back in the day.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
It most certainly does if the resource pool is limited. Theres only so many players, coaches, fans and money to go around.

The same will apply to any expansion team re: players and coaches regardless of Aus or NZ.

The new Perth team will almost certainly have more players from NZ than Perth, I'd prefer them playing for a Kiwi team personally.

Re fans: NZ NRL fans outside Auckland are barely serviced. I remember these same concerns about The Phins diluting the Brisbane market.

It’s a pipe dream. We have one below average team. Unsure why we’d need another.
Why would Queensland need another team? All their teams are pretty average these days.
Why would PNG need one? etc etc

The organisation wants a 20 team comp.

NZ provides more than enough talent to the NRL to be able to field a second team (if set up correctly)

They can encroach on a RU stronghold - while reinvigorating a dormant traditional league area (Canterbury /West Coast)

It will provide more TV audience and demand more rights money from Sky + an annual NZ derby.

Christchurch will have a brand new state of the art stadium screaming out for content.

Why would Queensland need another team? All their teams are pretty average these days.
Why would PNG need one? etc etc
PNG doesnt, thats a geopolitical exercise that will also fail.
NZ provides more than enough talent to the NRL to be able to field a second team (if set up correctly)
That talent is already playing RL, in Australia. Its not an untapped pool you can just call up.
It will provide more TV audience and demand more rights money from Sky + an annual NZ derby.
At the cost of Aust based audiences and $$ which is always significantly higher.
Christchurch will have a brand new state of the art stadium screaming out for content.
And? They can go watch A&P shows there or something. Just cause they are dumb enough to blow millions on it, isnt the NRLs problem.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
PNG doesnt, thats a geopolitical exercise that will also fail.

That talent is already playing RL, in Australia. Its not an untapped pool you can just call up.

At the cost of Aust based audiences and $$ which is always significantly higher.

And? They can go watch A&P shows there or something. Just cause they are dumb enough to blow millions on it, isnt the NRLs problem.
The NRL has an aggressive growth strategy and that's why the bid is a genuine thing
The reason are solid & the competition has the war chest and appetite to go for it, go head to head with other sports and embed the development systems. There definitely is an untapped pool if you can grab players from RU - which will naturally be part of the plan with growing union.

It's not a cost to the TV audience as it will still have the Australian team playing the expansion team & you're just splitting an existing market in Queensland
It would also potentially double the rights value to Sky

Nobody thinks the expansion clubs will be and overnight success & winning titles. But it can be done - look at Melbourne.

No it wont, Australia is a RL nursery

Perth isnt a country

Any team, based anywhere in Australasia (regardless of it's geographic identifier being: country, region, city, Sydney suburb, or "the") will draw 99% of it's talent from the same three existing major RL talent nurseries. QLD/NSW and NZ.

Team in Perth will have a better shot at high level Aussie players admittedly, while a Sth Island team will have a better shot at Kiwi players including the talents of the best junior RL programme in NZ.

These guys don't even exist yet, and they are already rebranding..

View attachment 9511

They have finally removed all the grotty AI-generated fans and jerseys from their website, but it doesn't look much better now. I hope this "secret" second bid that is more Wellington-based has its shit together.
Why did they rebrand? Was there a reason? This new logo looks insanely busy and cant tell what you are even looking at. Imagine that same logo at a smaller resolution. They will just resort to using KEA part.

Good luck to them but they just look so amateurish.

Genuine question though. If you were a budding player of promise, say from Auckland. Would you genuinely consider South Island as a place to live and play league if you had the option of moving to say Sydney or Qld?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
The Perth team has aligned with the North Sydney Bears who have around 8 junior clubs, also a NSW Cup side etc.
Might be similar to the Dolphins being a stable established 2nd tier club.
I believe you need this type of coalition with pathway’s already well established.
No idea how the PNG side could even work.
If the Southern team wants in maybe team up with the Newtown Jets or similar.
We haven’t been able to tap into Rugby for the last 30 years, I would find it hard for the Keas to do it reasonably quickly.

Why did they rebrand? Was there a reason? This new logo looks insanely busy and cant tell what you are even looking at. Imagine that same logo at a smaller resolution. They will just resort to using KEA part.

I am 95% sure that their old logo was heavily put together with AI

IMG_4870.jpeg

This is the profile picture they use on Facebook, the background of course is AI but if you look at the logo itself the text is all jagged and the shadowing of it is all different colours, looks like it is fading in one spot if you look in the hole of the ‘A’.

At the top of the head there is a weird flick of that bronze colour, and something has gone wrong with the feathers just to the left of that. Above the ‘A’ in South Island there is just a hole in the feathers

The South Island at the bottom of the logo is ripped straight from Google if you just search “South Island NZ outline” too.

The background of the logo, behind the head has this weird thing going, I don’t know if it is meant to be wings or mountains but whatever it is, it’s asymmetrical and looks super fishy.

Going on a bit of a tangent here, but this is what Moffett put up on his LinkedIn..

IMG_4869.jpeg

..The logo, the jersey mock up (also AI) on a white word doc with “One Dream, One Team” in Arial? Fmd haha, clearly they have no designer or real marketing person.

You are 100% on the new logo, it’s a nightmare. It took me 15 seconds to find the Kea when I saw it the first time and that was when it was blown up.

At least they probably paid someone on fiverr for something original this time around ig? 🤷‍♂️😂

Last edited:
These guys don't even exist yet, and they are already rebranding..

View attachment 9511

They have finally removed all the grotty AI-generated fans and jerseys from their website, but it doesn't look much better now. I hope this "secret" second bid that is more Wellington-based has its shit together.
Waaaaay to busy to be an effective logo, most logos are trending towards something much more simple that can be readily used as an icon- this is much to detailed to achieve that.
2nd thing is it needs to be instantly recognisable to be effective- this does not look like a kea

Genuine question though. If you were a budding player of promise, say from Auckland. Would you genuinely consider South Island as a place to live and play league if you had the option of moving to say Sydney or Qld?
I can understand a brand refresh once you are a fair way down the road , but at the moment this car is up on jacks.
For me the logo is a backward design from the original, a bit scattergun and not a clear identifier commercially.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back