• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL NRL Expansion

This isn’t a announcement of the next team, Just that the Perth consortium and the Bears have come to an agreement to work together to get a nrl license to enter a team.

I don’t like this for Perth. I’m convinced once granted a license the North Sydney bears will want it to fail in Perth so they can get back to Sydney

NZWarriors.com
In honour of the Bears long awaited return, I've tried to put together a team of the 90s

The attempt

M SEERS
B DALLAS
B IKIN
G FLORIMO
S HOPPE
P JACKSON
J TAYLOR
G LARSON
J GODDARD
T HEARN
A MUIR
D FAIRLEIGH
BI MOORE

P BLAKE
C WILSON
M FENECH
P JARVIS

b team
i cleary d halligan n roy c caruana d hall m beuttner m soden
j stuart d williams a toole g jones w leyshon g morrison
j martin b pomery p stringer s trindall

Kiwis
1 Willie McLean
2 Daryl Halligan/Paul Simonsson
3 Willie Swann
4 Fred Ah Koui
5 Sean Hoppe
6 Olsen Filipaina
7 Clayton Friend
11 Mark Graham

Last edited:
In honour of the Bears long awaited return, I've tried to put together a team of the 90s

The attempt

M SEERS
B DALLAS
B IKIN
G FLORIMO
S HOPPE
P JACKSON
J TAYLOR
G LARSON
J GODDARD
T HEARN
A MUIR
D FAIRLEIGH
BI MOORE

P BLAKE
C WILSON
M FENECH
P JARVIS

b team

Kiwis
1 Willie McLean
3 Willie Swann
4 Fred Ah Koui
5 Sean Hoppe
6 Olson Philipaina
7 Clayton Friend
11 Mark Graham
No Mark Carter?

The attempt

M SEERS
B DALLAS
B IKIN
G FLORIMO
S HOPPE
P JACKSON
J TAYLOR
G LARSON
J GODDARD
T HEARN
A MUIR
D FAIRLEIGH
BI MOORE

P BLAKE
C WILSON
M FENECH
P JARVIS

b team

Kiwis
1 Willie McLean
3 Willie Swann
4 Fred Ah Koui
5 Sean Hoppe
6 Olson Philipaina
7 Clayton Friend
11 Mark Graham
What!!!! No Mark Carter.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The more I think about a second team in New Zealand the more I want it!

Don't get me wrong, I love the warriors and will support them until I die. But how good would it be to have the Kea in the finals running when we bomb season after season.

The warriors have had enough time to to get it right and they are on the right path but a second team in NZ will only enhance the theory of keeping the best kiwi talent in NZ.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The more I think about a second team in New Zealand the more I want it!

Don't get me wrong, I love the warriors and will support them until I die. But how good would it be to have the Kea in the finals running when we bomb season after season.

The warriors have had enough time to to get it right and they are on the right path but a second team in NZ will only enhance the theory of keeping the best kiwi talent in NZ.
More likely we'll be battling the Kea to avoid the wooden spoon.
If the Kea want me to take them seriously, they need to show me letters of intent from current NRL players who've said they'll sign up with the Keas as soon as the license is given. I get that, yep, the Juniors are going to be great etc etc but fans and sponsors don't pay good money to watch Juniors...

That's why I suggested they play in NSW or Qld cup.
Not sold on the keas name.
I love the name and the logo and the colours but we already have the established SI Scorpions.
Linwood is one of the oldest clubs in the city Abit hard for all the other local teams to get around the Keas.
They basically stole the logo from Linwood and now it's the SI team
Linwood wasn't too happy

Would be a bit of a case of history rhyming like the Mt Wellington Warriors having their name used by us.

More likely we'll be battling the Kea to avoid the wooden spoon.
If the Kea want me to take them seriously, they need to show me letters of intent from current NRL players who've said they'll sign up with the Keas as soon as the license is given. I get that, yep, the Juniors are going to be great etc etc but fans and sponsors don't pay good money to watch Juniors...
What other potential expansion team has those letters of intent?

Kiwis
1 Willie McLean
3 Willie Swann
4 Fred Ah Koui
5 Sean Hoppe
6 Olson Philipaina
7 Clayton Friend
11 Mark Graham
Ex AB, Doug Rollerson (RIP) played for the Bears too. Stan Napa (father of ...) went there after his Norths Brisbane days but couldn't crack it. It was Anthony Swann, not William (brothers and cousins of Logan).

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Ex AB, Doug Rollerson (RIP) played for the Bears too. Stan Napa (father of ...) went there after his Norths Brisbane days but couldn't crack it. It was Anthony Swann, not William (brothers and cousins of Logan).
Meant Anthony, Willie was a halfback., Willie must'a been in my head because of McLean. Anyone know if the brothers at the Panthers are his boys?

Jets secure $40m for NRL bid, eye Bennett as coach
Story by Joel Gould

Wayne Bennett (left) is a target of the Jets' NRL bid as foundation coach if granted a licence.

Wayne Bennett (left) is a target of the Jets' NRL bid as foundation coach if granted a licence.© Jono Searle/AAP PHOTOS
The Jets' NRL bid team have secured $40 million in funding and are hopeful of entering an expanded NRL competition by 2028, with Wayne Bennett as head coach if he is still keen to continue his stellar career.

The partnership between the former Brisbane Jets' NRL bid and foundation premiership club Newtown Jets would be based west of Brisbane in Ipswich, if given a licence by the ARL Commission.

The NRL is on track to include two new teams by 2028, with the Perth Bears favourites. The Jets are of the view that they, and not Papua New Guinea, should be the other expansion side.

The Jets have received a secured $40 million commitment by three levels of government to upgrade North Ipswich Reserve and establish a centre of excellence.

The bid has an in-principle deal with Suncorp Stadium to initially play all home games at the venue, where they would wear the green and white strip of Ipswich. For away games in Sydney they would don the Newtown traditional strip and have their captain's run at Henson Park.

AAP has been told the Newtown Jets would be co-owners of the club.

The bid has multiple millionaire benefactors, including businessman and Newtown life member John Singleton, with funding not an issue as it was with the Brisbane Jets.

The Brisbane Jets missed out to the Dolphins on becoming the league's 17th team.

Jets NRL bid chairman Steve Johnson, also the Ipswich Jets boss, has signed a non-disclosure agreement with the NRL. Johnson is chairman of Ipswich Group Ltd, which has put in the bid, and cannot make public comment.

Scott Sattler, who won the 2003 premiership with Penrith, was on the Brisbane Jets committee and is at liberty to speak on the Jets' bid.

"In Ipswich, leading up to Toowoomba, the Scenic Rim and Darling Downs you have got a rusted-on population that are begging to support their own NRL team, much like when the Cowboys got their own team," Sattler told AAP.

"Newtown Jets bring a famous name, a nostalgic angle and a ready-made fan base that you would be silly not to reinvolve in the NRL.

"Yes, we have got to look into the future, but we can't forget the past, and that is why Western Australia have linked with the Bears and why we have linked with the Newtown Jets.

"The Jets would bring new subscriptions to (broadcasters) Kayo and Fox, which is a primary focus.

"You also have to consider the threat of the AFL, which is very important to the NRL as well. Internally at the NRL they agree that the western corridor (of Brisbane), with the AFL training facility at Springfield, has really eaten into that rugby league heartland, which we don't want to become an NRL wasteland."

Dolphins coach Bennett has a farm in the western corridor catchment area, grew up there and played there. By the end of 2027 he would have finished his three-year stint at South Sydney. Seven-time premiership winner Bennett has a "never say never" philosophy about coaching. He would have coached the Brisbane Jets had they won the 17th NRL licence in 2022.

"Wayne is never going to lose his passion for the game and he is physically and emotionally fit," Sattler said.
"With Wayne the discussion would be, 'do you see yourself still coaching?' Wayne might be 78 in age by 2028, but the principles and the standards he sets and his ability to communicate one-on-one and with the masses are second to none."

What other potential expansion team has those letters of intent?
I'd be very surprised if turns out none that even now, none of the Aussie bids have made "unofficial" approaches to various players and will have at least a few letters saying "Once you're in, I'm in!"...
You don't go into your last bid presentation saying we'll get little Kingi Rangi who's killing it for the Richmond boys, CHT's kid bro who's better than CHT etc etc. You do need recognized names and faces to get some regular don't-follow-Juniors-only-NRL punters in.

I'd be very surprised if turns out none that even now, none of the Aussie bids have made "unofficial" approaches to various players and will have at least a few letters saying "Once you're in, I'm in!"...
You don't go into your last bid presentation saying we'll get little Kingi Rangi who's killing it for the Richmond boys, CHT's kid bro who's better than CHT etc etc. You do need recognized names and faces to get some regular don't-follow-Juniors-only-NRL punters in.
Doubt those letters are a thing four years away from playing a game

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
You have to envy the money available to potential Australian bids v anything out of NZ. I wonder if Sir Owen Glen might like to channel his philanthropic ventures towards the Christchurch bid. 🫶🏾

These guys don't even exist yet, and they are already rebranding..

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 3.02.09 PM.png
"Our team emblem is embedded in our Taiao, our natural environment. It incorporates Moko Kanohi (male face tattoo), symbolising whakapapa (ancestry), mana (prestige/status), and the wisdom of the mātauranga Māori (Māori knowledge), while drawing inspiration from the Kea, a guardian of the South Island’s prestigious mountain range, Kā Tiritiri o te Moana (the Southern Alps). It features elements like the central Manawa (heart) line for the team’s journey, Mangopare for strength, and Pūkauae, grounding us in our connection to wāhine (women) and our whenua (land)."

They have finally removed all the grotty AI-generated fans and jerseys from their website, but it doesn't look much better now. I hope this "secret" second bid that is more Wellington-based has its shit together.

Feels like our chances of being the 20th team are plummeting.

The competition is ramping up, while our bids look half-assed and undercut each other.
It’s a pipe dream. We have one below average team. Unsure why we’d need another.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back