NRL Dally M 2023

Is Dally Messanger rolling in his grave?

They do have a habit of interviewing players that don't get the Dally M.

That's a bad look on several levels - even just on "number of (insert NRL team) fans watching" level, it's really kind of dumb.
And on suspension levels....Yep, once Jess was talking to Shauny, bless him, spoke well and that but I had a bad feeling...

Last edited:
Clearly the people who are voting have zero footy knowledge. What they need to do is follow the NFL where players vote who they think is the best player of the season. If you heard what the players' tips were for Dally M the majority was for SJ. Even people like Isaah Yeo has been adamant on SJ being the best player of the comp. It's a shame that Dally M rewards players on average teams and penalises a well-rounded team. I know SJ and the boys will take this for motivation for next season.

I didn't bother staying up for it. I suspected SJ would get screwed and I'd get pissed off and not sleep.

Great season by the warriors regardless of the Dally M bullshit.

One unpopular opinion here, I think Cleary deserved coach of the year. Webster was outstanding for us, no doubt. Cleary though - 4 grand finals in a row, despite losing players to other teams and his two assistant coaches from 2022 (Webster and Ciraldo). Still gutted we didn't keep him past 2011.

I didn't bother staying up for it. I suspected SJ would get screwed and I'd get pissed off and not sleep.

Great season by the warriors regardless of the Dally M bullshit.

One unpopular opinion here, I think Cleary deserved coach of the year. Webster was outstanding for us, no doubt. Cleary though - 4 grand finals in a row, despite losing players to other teams and his two assistant coaches from 2022 (Webster and Ciraldo). Still gutted we didn't keep him past 2011.
Tbh the Cleary 4 peat is irrelevant its coach of the year not coach of the decade you can only judge it off this year's proformance, heavy is the head that wears the crown for Cleary he is expected to take his team to the same heights as previous years Webster had no expectation and majority didn't even give him a hope of turning the team around and would of laughed if you said he was going to go 1 game short of the big dance

Tbh the Cleary 4 peat is irrelevant its coach of the year not coach of the decade you can only judge it off this year's proformance, heavy is the head that wears the crown for Cleary he is expected to take his team to the same heights as previous years Webster had no expectation and majority didn't even give him a hope of turning the team around and would of laughed if you said he was going to go 1 game short of the big dance
Webster did an amazing job for us this season and I hope he coaches us for the next 10+ years with tonnes of success. I still think Cleary deserved it just on 2023 results alone. Outstanding defensive side, despite having lost his two assistant coaches, they won something like 80% of their games when Nathan Cleary (and others) was injured, the panthers replacements know their roles, come into the team and deliver. Jack Cogger (hardly a household name) had an amazing season filling in for Cleary and Luai. Then replacing the lost players (Burton, Koroisau, Kikau). Then developing replacements with the likes of Suruva abd Hosking.

Like I said, I know it's an unpopular opinion here and I love Webster to bits for what he's done with the warriors, but in this era, staying on top is very hard and Ivan has been great, whereas teams can have slightly unpredictable seasons (e.g. Todd Payton and the cowboys).

One unpopular opinion here, I think Cleary deserved coach of the year

Perfectly reasonable take.

I think it's more that people consider the zero to hero story more worthy of a pat on the back than the person who dominants the room constantly.

I'm stoked that Webby got it (no bias here *cough*). But in my mind, he's not just turned the team around, he's turned the club around.

More fuel for 2024. He was halfback of the year which is a massive achievement. We got three players in the team plus coach. Tohu must have been close but carrigan is awesome. Ponga held Newcastle together and took them to the finals. It sucks but take that hurt and use it to go one better next year. SJ is a different player now and has at least one more good year in him.

Bloody feel for SJ, you could see in his face a tiny grimace when KP was announced. SJ wanted it bad.

The voting process is pretty flawed. AFB coming in 7th with 44 points. A lot of those points were going KP in his Knights team.

Rugby League Week used to award every player on the field a score out of 10 for every game. Add it all up the top point scorer is your player of the year.

SJ polls 0 points against Manly but sets up the winning try and kicks a field goal for good measure. Work that one out.

Back