• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
webster.png

Staff Andrew Webster

Coach Grade
  1. NRL Head Coach
Date of Birth
Jan 17, 1982
Birth Location
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
NZWarriors.com
Whether it not you think Webby is the right man for the job or not, it's irrelevant.

The story goes he's the most successful coach in his first year at the Warriors.

Second year he's been below average.

Now what's gotten us into a mess since 2011 is the merry go round of coaches. 8 coaches between Cleary and Webster in 11 years.

None of them have been remotely successful, all below 45% win rate.

Webby is second in win % after Daniel Anderson. Cleary is a tick under 50%.

By stats alone you have to keep backing him.
By the sellouts this year, you have to back him and management.
By the injuries we've had pre, during and post game, you have to back him.

I don't think ANY coach can implement their system successfully in 2 years with an inherited squad that's been losing for years, only making top 8 once in 11 years. Cleary took two goes before he built the dynasty.

Everyone calling for Webbys head needs to have a wank and release some pent up energy.

Ok maybe a better world to use is enthusiasm

Seriously they don’t play with any enthusiasm and the results show it.

Webby needs to fix it with more youth and better leadership
I'd use the word intensity.

It's a hard one to quantify. It's almost like at times we come out very robotic. In recent games it's taken a couple of our youth to come off the bench and provide some spark, some intensity to lift us

I'd use the word intensity.

It's a hard one to quantify. It's almost like at times we come out very robotic. In recent games it's taken a couple of our youth to come off the bench and provide some spark, some intensity to lift us

I think its all related.
To have intensit, you have to be motivated and enthusiastic
Look at AFB.
As soon as Leka came on with 100% enthusiasm it woke the beastmode in him.
His intensity, motivation, enthusiasm and desire all went up.
He lifted.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
There has been a point of difference over the last couple of seasons to those previous and that is our second halves. For years we would fade in the final 25-30 minutes and opposition sides would know they just needed to hang in long enough to run over the top of us. This has changed significantly and it's been a real positive under Webby. The season has pretty rough at times from the whopping injury toll to the usual game changing bunker calls that this side gets, but at least we are still have a go each game, the Titans and Dragons games the only ones where we weren't there mentally for the entire 80. If we continue to have a decent crack at these final 7 regular season games, then this season will be a good one for Webby to build on. He's faced an unprecedented level of adversity and I'm confident he'll take a lot into 2025. Those recent comments from SJ were heartening that he's the right man for arguably the toughest coaching gig in the comp.

Yeah I get it . We who condemn must be punished. Webster is not responsible for injuries, players making idiotic choices or the phasees of the moon.
So good luck to those supporters who still expect a miracle after 30 years. It's great for the Warriors to have that support & blind faith.
Perhaps we could ask question though -
about how efective our assistant coaches are ?,
what is the Club's attitude to injuries & player welfare ?
why so many current fans think Andrew Webster is the answer to 30 years of drought ?.
Oh & how the hell are we supposed to perform in Vegas with all these injuries & burnt out players ?
Not having a go at anyone biut seriously concerned Warriors are being targeted as the next failure team ( no offence Tigers fans). Fans need to be supportive but also realistic. This is a big investment for sponsers, fans & the NRL . What is the long term outlook if we continue down this path. Just asking
The next failure team? As in "go bust" failure?
Mate, it's One. Bad. Season for a coach who's in his second year. Lessons were always going to be taught to us (ie this is what it's like to be taken seriously by your opposition, best use of the interchange etc etc). Injuries happen. Bad form happens.
Totally agree about the assistants. Frankly and yes, I know, New Zealand Rugby League Sacred Cow, Warriors Legend, Golden Boot Winner etc but Stacey Jones is the first head on the block. He's said (and his lack of results back this up, although obviouly there were things out of his control) that he doesn't want to be a First Grade Coach, so there's no future in/reason to promote him and like everyone else athe Warriors, it's quite right to ask "Stacey, what do you do at the Warriors? Are you doing it well? What else can you offer?"
Do I think Andrew Webster will saunter out of the International Terminal with the NRL Trophy in his arms one day? Hand in heart, probably not ie my house isn't going on that. But it wouldn't even if Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy agreed to a be a twosome at the Warriors. Too many variables.
Once again we're in one of those threads where everyone more-or-less repeats (ie they word their response differently but the jist of the post is the same) their position every few pages or so and I stated my position after the Titans "performance" in the Post Match and I see no logical reason to move from that.
Long term? The NRL put up with the Sharks taking 49 seasons to break their Premiership duck and as sceptical as I am about how truly popular the Warriors are - especially in New Zealand - I think the NRL would like to hold on to the Warriors as long as possible and maybe longer than they should (ie they'll put up with sales of/management changes in/ugly public confrontation between members of the Warriors for a while yet).

Whether it not you think Webby is the right man for the job or not, it's irrelevant.

The story goes he's the most successful coach in his first year at the Warriors.

Second year he's been below average.

Now what's gotten us into a mess since 2011 is the merry go round of coaches. 8 coaches between Cleary and Webster in 11 years.

None of them have been remotely successful, all below 45% win rate.

Webby is second in win % after Daniel Anderson. Cleary is a tick under 50%.

By stats alone you have to keep backing him.
By the sellouts this year, you have to back him and management.
By the injuries we've had pre, during and post game, you have to back him.

I don't think ANY coach can implement their system successfully in 2 years with an inherited squad that's been losing for years, only making top 8 once in 11 years. Cleary took two goes before he built the dynasty.

Everyone calling for Webbys head needs to have a wank and release some pent up energy.
Ok will do

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The parallels between Dogs last year and us this year are quite uncanny.

The number of dogs fans calling for Ciraldos head last year were way higher than the few numpties calling for Webbys head this year.

But the reasonings for the Dogs poor 2023 are very consistent with our 2024:
- questionable selection
- horrific injury toll to key players
- one dimensional attack
- questionable recruitment

Ciraldo learned from it, I will almost guarantee Webby will learn from it.

If he doesn't he won't see out the extension but I do get a sense this second half of the season he has managed to work a fair bit of the early season issues out.

I've been a vocal critic but it comes from a good place. He is absolutely our man and I wish nothing more than for him to come back next year with a bit more conviction.

In Webby I still trust

Last edited:
It's not about relying on him.

In sports teams some players have the ability to lift others.

JFH is one of those. Hence why I believe he will be named captain.
Dunno man, kinda hard to look past Barney for mine. He's got the effort, the runs on the board and hopefully some level of cred with the refs. Let's not expect JFH to fix everything, just play a hard, strong consistent level of excellence and set the benchmark for the lads. He'll be a leader, but I wouldn't burden him with captaincy esp. as a noob to the team

Dunno man, kinda hard to look past Barney for mine. He's got the effort, the runs on the board and hopefully some level of cred with the refs. Let's not expect JFH to fix everything, just play a hard, strong consistent level of excellence and set the benchmark for the lads. He'll be a leader, but I wouldn't burden him with captaincy esp. as a noob to the team

He's the kiwis captain.

No burdens or noob about it.

Can't go wrong with Barny for sure but to think JFH wouldn't absolutely take it with both hands and rip in is wrong IMO.

RTS was foolishly given the captaincy in my mind for no reason than to hope he stayed. You would give JFH the captaincy because he is the right man for the job.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
He's the kiwis captain.

No burdens or noob about it.

Can't go wrong with Barny for sure but to think JFH wouldn't absolutely take it with both hands and rip in is wrong IMO.

RTS was foolishly given the captaincy in my mind for no reason than to hope he stayed. You would give JFH the captaincy because he is the right man for the job.
If Roger did leave, I am sure he could be replaced easier than many think

Unfortunately he's not a first choice pick for either FB, Center or Wing...
Hes now slower, bulkier and less hungry to win...
We d only be guessing about the hunger
It’s more likely the body won’t do what the mind wants it to do anymore
But I thought he was one of our better players against the Raiders but with couple of bad errors
He has had the strapping around the quad hamstring on one leg a while might be an injury there too

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
No way is Webby going anywhere, even though the table position is shite and the results haven't come this year, this is nothing like the Brown years. Much more optimistic than the Kearney years too.

How many games have we lost by less than a converted try? Combine that with our atrocious injury toll and there's reason to be optimistic heading into next year.

Webby's bench usage and selections could use some work for sure. Fonzie's explanation of why Webby clung on to Tohu/SJ playing hurt for too long makes sense to me so I forgive that. He was right as excluding those freak wins, we're not going anywhere with TMM/CHT as our halves.

Would really like to see us get better under the high ball though, shocking how many errors we've made this year catching the ball.

Webby's going to do the full 5 years minimum barring back to back spoons over the next 2 years which won't happen. Last year was massively ahead of schedule. It won't be until 2026 that our juniors catch up for the lost years and we get the depth required to deal with a shit run like we had this year.

We've only had one year of it and RTS/Capewell weren't terrible signings, JFH is a fantastic signing. But I do have concerns around recruitment. Bringing in oldish centre/back row on 3 year contracts was a weird choice.

Last edited:
20 games this season not enough?
Rome wasn't built in a day, as the saying goes. To take that analogy further, Rome was built once its own infrastucture was established through leadership, science, engineering, education, etc., all things they adapted from the best of some existing cultures and made their own.
Sounds like a plan to me...
Problem is, it only works if everyone buys into it - and that includes impatient and negative fans or commentators etc.
Webby has consistently promoted what he believes brings success & he's not wrong. Its also part of building a lasting culture - something some people have a skewed idea about because the Warriors have fickle insight into what is or brings success. It becomes a selffulfilling prophecy & that's what Webby walked into and what he's up against...its all on this site laid bare.
Give the man a chance I reckon, he's trying to build our empire!

Already been hammered to death, but if we could have just flipped half of those 1-6 point losses we'd be sitting in position to host a finals game. If you somehow flipped them all we would 1st, with a one-point lead over the Storm:
Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 2.36.02 PM.png

Cleary and Anderson's first two seasons with us here as well, if you wanted to compare.
Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 2.39.36 PM.png

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back