• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

NRL 2024 Stats Breakdown

This was pretty interesting, from the always interesting eye-test.

Take-aways for the Warriors :

- We had the most ball (... and did less with it)
- Ale runs a lot, and very straight
- TMM's kicking game is literally crooked
- Kosi is error prone... duh
- Montoya is (marginally) a drag on the team

NZWarriors.com
Yeah, he was - a big effort player by that analysis - proving what we knew already
Jazz cops a bit of grief but you cant fault his effort and those stats seem to support that. At times that effort leads to negative outcomes with errors and penalties conceded though. Be interesting to see how Erin Clark fills that role next season.

Kosi has an error every 10 touches of the ball. That would be ok as a winger if they were in the process of trying to score a try but a number of them are just basic drops from a hit up. We really need to move on from him as a back up winger I feel.

Also good to see TMM's attacking kicking leading the category and in the same company as Munster and Jahrome Hughes. Looking forward to seeing how the partnership of him and Metcalf go - if that's what AW ends up going with.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Take-aways for the Warriors :

- Ale runs a lot, and very straight
- TMM's kicking game is literally crooked
- Kosi is error prone... duh
- Montoya is (marginally) a drag on the team
We have no players inside the Player Contribution top 25... FFS top forward.. Katoa :rolleyes:

I saw another great statistical break down.

The table for 1st half's only / we were 12th

The table for 2nd half's only (excluding any points in GP) we were 4th
Watching this season, it really has given me the impression that we often save something in the tank for the second half, thought it was happening last year too where we always seemed to back ourselves to mount a comeback. The other one I noticed was decoy runs. Jazz made the table but we had multiple runners offering threats last year

Yeah, I remember that article shared halfway through the year where we were already leading the possession/territory stats but very low on the offense/point scoring stats.
Interesting that it held up through the rest of the year, should really be one of the key things our coaching staff really need to figure out over the off-season.

Speaking of offseason, at some point over next few months I'll go back and read all these eyetest articles, bookmarked the site after the article mentioned above but didn't end up keeping up with it, but is very cool to get a different perspective on the game.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Watching this season, it really has given me the impression that we often save something in the tank for the second half, thought it was happening last year too where we always seemed to back ourselves to mount a comeback. The other one I noticed was decoy runs. Jazz made the table but we had multiple runners offering threats last year
If there was one stat we actually did well in this year, it was actually decoy runs.

3 of the top 4 positions were warriors on a average game basis.

Other notable Warriors were :
16. Tevaga
18. Harris
46. Capewell

thats 6 Warriors in the top 50.

1726011506133.png

Players in Support for example, only 1 Warrior (Ford at #44) in the top 50.

Attachments

• 1726011491957.png
    1726011491957.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 1
Jazz cops a bit of grief but you cant fault his effort and those stats seem to support that. At times that effort leads to negative outcomes with errors and penalties conceded though. Be interesting to see how Erin Clark fills that role next season.

Kosi has an error every 10 touches of the ball. That would be ok as a winger if they were in the process of trying to score a try but a number of them are just basic drops from a hit up. We really need to move on from him as a back up winger I feel.

Also good to see TMM's attacking kicking leading the category and in the same company as Munster and Jahrome Hughes. Looking forward to seeing how the partnership of him and Metcalf go - if that's what AW ends up going with.
Thinking about the possession metric and the kick angle one, the latter probably follows from the former - given that we would often get to a kick quite near the opposition line because of our superior ability to hold the ball - so rather than it being a tactical thing for TMM it's probably a contingency?

If there was one stat we actually did well in this year, it was actually decoy runs.

3 of the top 4 positions were warriors on a average game basis.

Other notable Warriors were :
16. Tevaga
18. Harris
46. Capewell

thats 6 Warriors in the top 50.

View attachment 9528

Players in Support for example, only 1 Warrior (Ford at #44) in the top 50.
Being that Jazz is the only one who made that top 20 on that eye test article, does that indicate we’re not doing it as much as previously being that the list is gauged on decoy runs to time in possession?

Being that Jazz is the only one who made that top 20 on that eye test article, does that indicate we’re not doing it as much as previously being that the list is gauged on decoy runs to time in possession?
Or that our starters did exactly what was asked and Jazz as a bench player did exactly what hes primed to do to bring energy and enthusiasm. Jazz is one of few Warriors bench players that provides impact by bringing that energy and getting as much involvement as possible (Walker the other probably but hes been thrust into the starting team this year).

Anyway our forwards dont seem to be the problem. Even Egan's stats are similiar to last year.

Our backs and halves a totally different story.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Thinking about the possession metric and the kick angle one, the latter probably follows from the former - given that we would often get to a kick quite near the opposition line because of our superior ability to hold the ball - so rather than it being a tactical thing for TMM it's probably a contingency?

I just immediately thought of the ball coming off the side of his boot a couple of times and spraying out of the field 😅 given his relatively low number of games as the dominant kicking half, that may also skew the stats ever so slightly

Back