Politics šŸ—³ļø NZ Politics

Anyone seen this yet?

Stuff have been doing great journalism. https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/35...ign-interference-claims-warns-journalists-not

So we were planning on ferries with 100 year life spans. Overseas most ferries have banned EVā€™s because if they catch fire they are impossible to put out.

What happens if in 10 years half our fleet is EVā€™s? Would the ferries become unusable and obsolete?

Nothing about the politics but just wondering.
Citation on the 100 year life span please.

ā€˜the iReX Project which was set up to deliver a resilient Interislander ferry service and robust port infrastructure with a 100-year design life.

You've translated that into "ferries with 100 year life span". Think about it. And maybe correct your thinking if you feel like it - it's not the same thing.

Also (I really need to stop digging into this) ferries aren't unviable. Evs might not be safe to transport on an ocean going ferry, which is a separate conversation/issue/discussion, but that would be more around how to mitigate safety issues for modern vehicles.

I love how this is a complete National fuck up costing us hundreds of millions and who knows what else and it's somehow being spun into some sort of genius move because, you know, ferries aren't viable.

Also (I really need to stop digging into this) ferries aren't unviable. Evs might not be safe to transport on an ocean going ferry, which is a separate conversation/issue/discussion, but that would be more around how to mitigate safety issues for modern vehicles.

I love how this is a complete National fuck up costing us hundreds of millions and who knows what else and it's somehow being spun into some sort of genius move because, you know, ferries aren't viable.
šŸ¤£ except my original post said:

ā€˜Nothing about the politics but just wonderingā€™

I donā€™t think itā€™s a factor I was just personally wondering for my own interest how EVā€™s will be handled.

You seem very defensive!

šŸ¤£ except my original post said:

ā€˜Nothing about the politics but just wonderingā€™

I donā€™t think itā€™s a factor I was just personally wondering for my own interest how EVā€™s will be handled.

You seem very defensive!
Nah all good. But it's a general question really relating to ev batteries and their safety, not necessarily ferries, blah blah, have a nice evening, at least SJ is taking a break.

Funny thing is I understand that Winnie signed off on the original new ferry purchase before Nicola canned it
Yes. $700m for the same size ferries to replace existing that didnā€™t have rail.

Labour subsequently upsized them and rail enabled them which required all the new infrastructure and blew out the cost to $3b+.

I donā€™t think anyone would have an issue with $700m replacement in a like for like. My moneys on that ending up the solution again. Ferries the same size as existing with no infrastructure upgrade.

Last edited:
Yes. $700m for the same size ferries to replace existing that didnā€™t have rail.

Labour subsequently upsized them and rail enabled them which required all the new infrastructure and blew out the cost to $3b+.

I donā€™t think anyone would have an issue with $700m replacement in a like for like.
Bit ironic that throughout all of this nobody has thought about Ocean going tugs for emergency
Cook Strait is a notorious stretch of water and an incident is inevitable

Back